BBO Discussion Forums: my error - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

my error

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 04:35

I just make an error which really fooled me.

Perhaps this is really more a counting error but still I just wanted to point it out.

AJxx in dummy

I have Kxx

declarer lead small from dummy at suit contract and I played K

now declarer with xx can finesse and throw loser from side suit.

I will remember this one teaching moment.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 04:56

You were not necessarily wrong, declarer might have had Qx and avoid you taking the setting trick if you duck (he still gets 3 tricks by ruffing your K out but doesn't lose one). It's a decision you need to take in the context of the whole hand.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-February-11, 05:49

With qx opp Ajxx why wouldn't declarer just finesse
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   bgm 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 06:16

It looks like partner fail to lead the interior sequence from Q109x

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 06:17

View Posteagles123, on 2015-February-11, 05:49, said:

With qx opp Ajxx why wouldn't declarer just finesse

As Cyber said it depends on the full deal. Let me give you an example; You have another suit Axx in hand xxx in dummy and A is the only entry to hand. If you use it, and lose the finesse you give a trick in the finesse suit and 2 tricks in the suit that you knocked down you entry. Instead you just voluntarily give their K by playing to Qx and lose still 1 trick in that suit but will give no more than 1 trick in the Axx vs xxx suit. Note that even if your finesse was working you would still lose 2 tricks in that side suit. Even if you did not have an entry problem you may play towards the Q because it loses nothing (unless K was stiff onside) but may gain when the defender does the opposite of what Mike777 did and not play the K, as Cyber said you still make 3 tricks in that suit without losing any and discarding 1 from the side suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 06:24

As defender you may have learned a lesson, but declarer has also learned the power of the closed hand.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 10:44

I suppose you might say, AJxx is not something declarer will normally lead away from when you hold Kxx. Therefore, assuming declarer isn't a loony (a dangerous assumption!), then he/she is up to something. It's up to you to figure out what.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users