BBO Discussion Forums: Big swing of the day (and week, month and year) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Big swing of the day (and week, month and year)

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-09, 07:36

Last round of yesterday's Sectional Swiss Teams. With a big win, my team will have a small chance at the win and a good chance at second place.

After an up and down first few boards, this gem appeared:

Yes, this was the auction. My partner, holding the South hand, decided to walk the dog. There was a break in tempo before East doubled 4, which was agreed upon, but for obvious reasons, the TD was never called.

+850

At the other table, my teammates reached 6 from the West hand. As the defense did not find the miracle defense of a diamond lead and a club ruff, this scored +980.

18 IMPs.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-09, 08:54

Nice pickup, where did you finish ?

Had that hand's big brother a few years back which was a shot at +24 IMPs but team mates fluffed their lines.

You don't often concede -2470 with 2 aces and the king of trumps, but W led the A, ruffed, ace of trumps, club to the ace and 2 trump entries to take the marked club hooks and he did this time.

At the other table they played 6x on a club lead. Any of the lines based on an elimination and exiting the heart would have worked, but declarer decided to finesse the heart bidder for Q and went down. The result of a doubled vulnerable slam thrown on the floor ? +19 IMPs.

I still haven't had the full 24 IMPs in my career to date, and this would have been a big curio in that a penalty wasn't involved.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-09, 08:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-February-09, 08:54, said:

Nice pickup, where did you finish ?

We got 17 VPs in the match and finished in a tie for 2nd. The way things worked out, a complete blitz (20 VPs) would not have been good enough for the win, as it would have left us 1VP behind. The team that tied us for 2nd had a complete blitz in the last round to catch us (we had played them in the first round and scored 16 VPs against them).

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-09, 19:05

Yeah, I have a 24 - to win an event - "but it was chemically induced" (quoting Steve Earle).

I still remember the scoreup...board, board, board, board, board, +110 "Oh, good you went positive. Win 'em all". I'd love to have known the auction to 4xx-7 vul, but there it was.

Why yes, it was the last round of a midnight KO. And someone who was knocked out the first round (and who's ride home was on the 2nd place team) had spent the intervening time wandering around with three or four pitchers of beer, filling up everyone's glasses. I had two drinks that night - the first one I poured, the second one never emptied :-).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users