BBO Discussion Forums: Five level decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Five level decision

Poll: Five level decision (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your call

1. 5 spades (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. 5 hearts (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. pass (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:05

This is my first time trying to post a hand and a poll; apologies if I have the wrong forum or poor technique.

Club game, matchpoints, strong field for a club game, all experts at the table. You are 2nd chair, all vuln.

Your call. How close is it?

Thanks in advance. Also, better posting technique is welcome as well.

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:10

Pass, and not especially. If partner was REALLY looking for slam opposite such (admittedly fitting) garbage of this he wouldn't have bid an immediate 4.

If you were going to show support the time to do so was over 5.

#3 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:25

not pass
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#4 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:26

I would have bid over 1, I would have bid over 5, and I will bid now.

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:43

Good problem. I would bid 5, but it's close between that or 5.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:45

View Posttrevahound, on 2015-February-04, 18:05, said:

This is my first time trying to post a hand and a poll;
apologies if I have the wrong forum or poor technique.
Club game, matchpoints, strong field for a club game, all experts at the table.
You are 2nd chair, all vuln. Your call.
How close is it?
IMO 5 = 10. Pass = 9. 5 = 8. A close decision because it is usually easier to make 3 tricks than 11 :)

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-February-04, 23:30

Definitely bid. I think you need to find a call over 1.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-05, 00:25

passing is woeful. 5h should be a choice of major considering you didn't bid originally so i'd go for that.

i would have bid originally though.

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-February-05, 03:17

5H look totally normal. It will show a spade tolerance because of the failure to overcall over 1D.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-05, 16:31

View Posttrevahound, on 2015-February-04, 18:05, said:

This is my first time trying to post a hand and a poll; apologies if I have the wrong forum or poor technique.

Club game, matchpoints, strong field for a club game, all experts at the table. You are 2nd chair, all vuln.

Your call. How close is it?

Thanks in advance. Also, better posting technique is welcome as well.

Brian Zaugg

Thanks for the replies, all. I was the opener, South's double was preceded by a very long bit and some apparent agony, and then LHO (North) who is a friend and mentor (and a platinum life master) bid 5. We were not harmed or damaged in any way, but I wanted to know if passing was an logical alternative with his hand, as not passing was absolutely clearly suggested by the table UI. I would have passed, but these situations are hard at the table, and passing might not be logical at all.

Thanks again -

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-06, 10:43

View Posttrevahound, on 2015-February-05, 16:31, said:

Thanks for the replies, all. I was the opener, South's double was preceded by a very long bit and some apparent agony, and then LHO (North) who is a friend and mentor (and a platinum life master) bid 5. We were not harmed or damaged in any way, but I wanted to know if passing was an logical alternative with his hand, as not passing was absolutely clearly suggested by the table UI. I would have passed, but these situations are hard at the table, and passing might not be logical at all.

Thanks again -

Brian Zaugg

I'm late to the thread, but I don't think that pass is a logical alternative.

I don't agree with those who would have bid over 1. A vulnerable pre-empt should deliver a slightly better suit than Kxxxxxx and out. A 2 call is possible and, if I were forced to bid, would have been my choice, but pass is certainly a reasonable option.

It is useful to bear in mind that in these auctions, 4 followed by double, slow or fast or in tempo, all say the same thing: he bid 4 on power, not as a pre-empt.

Look at N's hand in that context: partner voluntarily bid 4 to make, and we have this hand. We may not be able to make anything at the 5-level, and I infer from your comment about not being damaged, that bidding didn't work out. Still, bidding has to be the percentage action. And if we are bidding, 5 seems unavoidable, altho I imagine partner will be agonizing again after we introduce at the 5-level a suit we couldn't bid at the 1-level :D If he has a stiff heart, he should pull.

I think passing here after an in-tempo reopening double is flat out weird.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-06, 16:01

I don't think X here is reopening. 4 announces a single suiter. With a flexible hand and power, partner should haved Xed than bid 4. 4 then X is just a powerful single suiter.

Something like AKJxxx Ax KJx Kx maybe?

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-06, 16:22

View PostTylerE, on 2015-February-06, 16:01, said:

I don't think X here is reopening. 4 announces a single suiter. With a flexible hand and power, partner should haved Xed than bid 4. 4 then X is just a powerful single suiter.

Something like AKJxxx Ax KJx Kx maybe?

I would bet very long odds that he doesn't hold KJx in diamonds. Do you really think that opener would bid 5 on a weak 4 card suit?

AKQxxx Ax xx KQx is more like it, altho the slow double suggests longer spades...maybe AKJxxxx Ax x KQx

On reflection, bidding 5 may not be wise....many of the layouts that I see as consistent with the auction play at least as well, and sometimes better, in spades as in hearts.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-February-08, 11:21

View Postmikeh, on 2015-February-06, 16:22, said:

I would bet very long odds that he doesn't hold KJx in diamonds. Do you really think that opener would bid 5 on a weak 4 card suit?

AKQxxx Ax xx KQx is more like it, altho the slow double suggests longer spades...maybe AKJxxxx Ax x KQx

On reflection, bidding 5 may not be wise....many of the layouts that I see as consistent with the auction play at least as well, and sometimes better, in spades as in hearts.

For me a passed hand bid a new suit at the 5 level got to show a spades tolerance 100% of the times, overcaller will often pick 5M depending on the ace of trumps, he want to avoid a t2 ruff.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#15 User is offline   jpeak948 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-09, 22:37

Im a real user of overbiding intervention. A lot of people dont understand. To bid after 1 D opening it takes generally between 8-16 PH OR 10-17 PHD. Obviously, to protect your sort you must bid. The purpose of that is to avoid ***** 3 nt bid. But in this situation South has no ENTRY in his hand so not necessary to bid. I find thats a perfect sacrifice hand. All depend of your p reaction. 4 S? Its not a sacrifice bid first. I think North has approximatly 12-14 pts but good distribution. One thing is sure opps will make their contract. So South must bid. Down 2 maximum 500 pts VS 600 + Why not 5 S? I dont like 5 H because dummy would be North. If North bid spade, he has minimum 7 spade.

#16 User is offline   jpeak948 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-09, 22:39

8-16 PH OR 10-17 PHD intervention

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users