BBO Discussion Forums: Simple Bidding Poll - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple Bidding Poll

Poll: Simple Bidding Poll (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call, and why?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3N (34 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-03, 21:34

K104
K10542

Both Vul, IMP scoring

With opps silent, auction is:

1♣-1♦-2N-?

vanilla 2/1 system

And if anyone could run a simulation on how often passing 2N is right, versus bidding 3D/3N, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 22:43

I need an excuse to pass 2N here. Looks like I've got a pretty decent 5 card suit and all honors working. It's vul at imps. Close to WTP hand for me. Blast 3N, and I expect it to make at least enough of the time to come out ahead of time.

It also helps that I expect most other decent players to just bid it too, so there is a protective element - if 3N is just down I expect it to be a push a lot of the time, and if it's not then I just write down the -6 and move on.

Of course, this is assuming partner doesn't shade the 2N response down.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-04, 03:17

Generally, with 0-6 (or a bad 7) HCP, you are supposed to pass. However, this should clearly bid 3NT for two reasons:
1.) You have an ok 5-card suit (2.) You have two controls (above average), so there's a good chance that your suit can be set up and provide the extra trick(s) needed.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 07:16

Three tens! 3NT.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 08:03

3NT
The 2K and the T's not enough but the 5 card suit gives the hand extra possibilities:)

#6 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 09:16

I'm not doing a sim, but I'd be surprised if game was less than 50/50, which is more than enough at these colours/scoring.

Edit. Add a queen, but take away all the intermediates and make it a 4333 shape. Most people would think the question barely merited a post in the beginner forum - but I'd bet the sim results would scarcely be any better.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-04, 10:20

I would be amazed if any good player passed.

Btw, I don't understand the notion of bidding 3. In standard methods that is forcing, but wtf are we trying to accomplish? Are we heading for slam? No. Do we want to suggest 5, an 11 trick game on at best a 5-3 fit and 25 hcp? No.

Suggesting 3 as a possibility is silly.

I am going to refrain from saying anything about the forum selection, but I am willing to bet that if you could find 10 real life experts, and didn't give it as a problem, just managed to deal the hand, all 10 would bid 3N. There is a human tendency to sometimes make different choices when presented with a problem than if it just happened to come up. After all, one will reason, there must be a catch somewhere.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 16:24

OK, I saw this as a problem because I thought the auction started 1 and a 1 overcall. Is it too much to ask to have each round of bidding on a separate line, or better, use the hand editor?

That being said, I would always pass 2NT if I overheard the next table discussing how there was no way to make 3NT on this board. :rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 17:22

View Postjohnu, on 2015-February-04, 16:24, said:

OK, I saw this as a problem because I thought the auction started 1 and a 1 overcall. Is it too much to ask to have each round of bidding on a separate line, or better, use the hand editor?

Yeah it was really unclear.

With opps silent, auction is:

The artist formerly known as jlall

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:46

View Postjohnu, on 2015-February-04, 16:24, said:

That being said, I would always pass 2NT if I overheard the next table discussing how there was no way to make 3NT on this board. :rolleyes:

Given the typical quality of post-mortems, I would take that as a challenge and bid 3NT anyway. ;)

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 18:50

Vul at IMPs, and already being in 2nt, generally you have to bid game on anything with a prayer. The vul imp odds for making vs. down one plus the fact that 2nt may already be down so 3nt is only down one more for 3 imps, you have to bid on anything close. And this isn't even close for MP. I ran a quick sim and it was > 75% making 3nt double dummy. You need to turn both Ks into Qs before passing is indicated.

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 19:05

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-February-04, 17:22, said:

Yeah it was really unclear.

True about the opponents silent comment, but looking at the single line of bidding gives contradictory information. Of course, we all know that OP's never make a mistake in facts, the bidding or the number of cards :P

#13 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 19:40

View Postmikeh, on 2015-February-04, 10:20, said:

I would be amazed if any good player passed.

Btw, I don't understand the notion of bidding 3. In standard methods that is forcing, but wtf are we trying to accomplish? Are we heading for slam? No. Do we want to suggest 5, an 11 trick game on at best a 5-3 fit and 25 hcp? No.

Suggesting 3 as a possibility is silly.

I am going to refrain from saying anything about the forum selection, but I am willing to bet that if you could find 10 real life experts, and didn't give it as a problem, just managed to deal the hand, all 10 would bid 3N. There is a human tendency to sometimes make different choices when presented with a problem than if it just happened to come up. After all, one will reason, there must be a catch somewhere.

Well, Mike, unfortunately, I was playing with someone who I consider(ed) to be an expert player. After I bid 3N, he said "This hand should pass". I responded, "This hand is 3N 100%'. To which he replied, "You are relatively inexperienced (compared to me) and if you want to argue with me, i will just mark you as another idiot and not waste my time."

So.... I'm just making sure that this hand actually is, 3N, 100%. And that he is the real idiot. So far, so good.

(I didn't suggest 3D for any reason other than I couldn't think of what the heck else he would have me do.)

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-February-06, 02:44

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-05, 07:28

View Postbid_em_up, on 2015-February-04, 19:40, said:

Well, Mike, unfortunately, I was playing with someone who I consider(ed) to be an expert player. After I bid 3N, he said "This hand should pass". I responded, "This hand is 3N 100%'. To which he replied, "You are relatively inexperienced (compared to me) and if you want to argue with me, i will just mark you as another idiot and not waste my time."

So, he saw dummy, looked at his doubleton diamond, and resulted the hand. What else is new?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-February-05, 19:39

View Postbid_em_up, on 2015-February-04, 19:40, said:

Well, Mike, unfortunately, I was playing with someone who I consider(ed) to be an expert player. I'm not naming any names, but the board can be found. After I bid 3N, he said "This hand should pass". I responded, "This hand is 3N 100%'. To which he replied, "You are relatively inexperienced (compared to me) and if you want to argue with me, i will just mark you as another idiot and not waste my time."

So.... I'm just making sure that this hand actually is, 3N, 100%. And that he is the real idiot. So far, so good.

(I didn't suggest 3D for any reason other than I couldn't think of what the heck else he would have me do.)

I don't know which is sillier: Advertising on a public forum for the bridge world to look up your games with experienced partners made a real blooper in a post mortem, or suggesting that an advanced bridge player would suggest a minor contract with 3. A good player might fear playing with you more than with Mrs. Bennett after the Bennett murder. Ridicule is more to be feared than death.

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-06, 00:21

It had been long since the last unanymous poll

#17 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-06, 17:04

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-February-05, 19:39, said:

I don't know which is sillier: Advertising on a public forum for the bridge world to look up your games with experienced partners made a real blooper in a post mortem, or suggesting that an advanced bridge player would suggest a minor contract with 3. A good player might fear playing with you more than with Mrs. Bennett after the Bennett murder. Ridicule is more to be feared than death.

Ho. Hum.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users