#1 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-30, 05:18

[Mod note: Split hijacking replies from this thread]

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-29, 12:12, said:

Is this really an expert topic?

Be careful. You're threading the grounds of people who self-appointed themselves the authority to define what an "expert" problem is.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-February-03, 04:32

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 08:22

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-29, 12:12, said:

Is this really an expert topic?

Apparently you consider it so obvious that you need not even respond? Or perhaps you just don't consider it expert level topic regardless. I can't really tell.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-30, 12:48

View Postbillw55, on 2015-January-30, 08:22, said:

Apparently you consider it so obvious that you need not even respond? Or perhaps you just don't consider it expert level topic regardless. I can't really tell.

I don't think it's necessarily obvious; I just don't think it is an expert topic. I know that there are some who regard themselves as gatekeepers of the expert forum. I don't want to be like that, but there have been a number of threads lately that don't belong. The trouble is that the experts who post here are really valuable to all of us, and if they become frustrated looking in this forum for something they can really sink their teeth into and find threads like this we may see less of them.

To the OP, the fact that it is close and that some experts evaluate the hand differently to others, or have different criteria for a jump rebid, doesn't make it an expert topic.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-30, 15:43

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-30, 12:48, said:

The trouble is that the experts who post here are really valuable to all of us (...)

You think so? Well, some top CEO recently gave some management tips on a magazine. Among them was this one: sack the prima-donnas. Why? Because the plus-values they generate don't compensate for the bad atmosphere they create due to their oversized egos.

I fully agree. And while I'm all for competent people, for me they need to be educated as well. Intelligence goes both ways.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-31, 03:18

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-30, 15:43, said:

You think so? Well, some top CEO recently gave some management tips on a magazine. Among them was this one: sack the prima-donnas. Why? Because the plus-values they generate don't compensate for the bad atmosphere they create due to their oversized egos.

I fully agree. And while I'm all for competent people, for me they need to be educated as well. Intelligence goes both ways.

Hear hear. Anyway 2D for me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 05:56

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-31, 11:02, said:

Please ignore the suggestions/comments about this not being an expert topic. I personally think it was a nice hand to listen to expert opinions about how to evaluate it. I am sorry that it is hijacked.

I think if this hand were posted in the Novice and Beginner or the Intermediate and Advanced forums, you would have got the same "expert" opinions but without any questions about whether this was the appropriate forum to post. Even the "real" experts answer in the Novice and Beginner forums, and anybody, no matter how low their skill level posts in the Expert forum.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 09:18

View Postjohnu, on 2015-February-01, 05:56, said:

I think if this hand were posted in the Novice and Beginner or the Intermediate and Advanced forums, you would have got the same "expert" opinions but without any questions about whether this was the appropriate forum to post. Even the "real" experts answer in the Novice and Beginner forums, and anybody, no matter how low their skill level posts in the Expert forum.

There are topics that can fit in any forum. The difference between where to ask them depends on the intentions of OP. When someone posts a topic in expert forum, which could have been posted in other forums as well, it means that he is not interested in replies by novice/beginner/intermediate players.

So yes, I agree with you that anybody can create a topic in expert forum regardless of their level. I do not share the same opinion about the replying part though. It is like crashing a party that you are not invited to. You are more than welcome to disagree but this is how I see it.

About whether a topic being an expert or non expert. I don't even know why some people constantly complains about it, as if there is a clear definition of what an expert topic is. There is not. Experts do not play boards that says "for experts only" on them. They do not gain their imps or mps due to some fancy named squeeze or by bidding a 3 ace out, 22 hcp combined cold slams where everyone else stopped below game or played game. They mostly get their imps and mps from judgement hands. They happen to make more accurate decisions than non experts.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-February-01, 10:11

View PostMrAce, on 2015-February-01, 09:18, said:

as if there is a clear definition of what an expert topic is. There is not.

oh yes there is.. it's anything that's written in Reese's "The Expert Game".

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-February-01, 12:57

Please stop hijacking the thread. If you think the topic shouldn't be posted in the expert forum, just click on the Report button and explain why. The moderators have moved threads before, and if you're right they'll probably do it again.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-February-01, 13:27

View PostFree, on 2015-February-01, 12:57, said:

Please stop hijacking the thread. If you think the topic shouldn't be posted in the expert forum, just click on the Report button and explain why. The moderators have moved threads before, and if you're right they'll probably do it again.

Not sure this is directed at me. If so, let me explain my comment was just irony. As you probably noticed, I couldn't care less about what is expert or adv or whatever :) In fact, if I were running this forum, the "interesting hands", "expert" and "int/adv" forums would be merged into a single "bidding and play issues" forum.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding lol.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-February-02, 15:21

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-February-01, 13:27, said:

Not sure this is directed at me. If so, let me explain my comment was just irony. As you probably noticed, I couldn't care less about what is expert or adv or whatever :) In fact, if I were running this forum, the "interesting hands", "expert" and "int/adv" forums would be merged into a single "bidding and play issues" forum.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding lol.

This wasn't directed to anyone in particular (otherwise I'd quote that person ;) ).

I just find it annoying when people reply that a topic doesn't belong somewhere, while they can just press the report-button and complain directly to the moderators. Moderators can actually do something about it and move the topic, so it serves a better purpose. There's no added value in such replies, even worse, other people start reacting to such complaints, start discussions when they disagree, and ruin a topic even more. Just my 2 cents...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-February-02, 17:14

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-February-01, 13:27, said:

Not sure this is directed at me.

I do not think so. You are not the one who hijacked the topic. You just contributed to it by your remarks, due to your hurt feelings from another topic. But I will not get into it here and instead I will pm you why I believe your remarks are uncalled for. After all I believe you do not have hostile intentions.

The reply which hijacked the topic (#9) and started all the reactions and ended up 3-4 posts being removed in high volume flame, is still here. The reply had nothing to do with what OP asked. OP then handled the situation very well and politely asked to the hijacker for her answer about the bridge problem that was posted ( #10). Hijacker still did not answer the problem, instead she kept on arguing whether this was an expert topic or not by lecturing about what an expert topic should be (reply#13). As Free said very well, after that it got carried on and all turned into a ****fest.

Unfortunately the reply that started all and has nothing to do with OP, is still here. I do not think Vampyr wrote anything to be deleted. In fact she may have touched something that needs to be discussed, since people are having hurt feelings due to unclear definition of the expert forums. But this should be done somewhere else as a totally different topic and not by jumping into every topic in expert forums and replying "is this an expert topic?" So I still believe that this topic should have been splitted and all the replies/reactions related to what an expert topic should be, or is there such a thing called expert topic, should be moved there.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-February-03, 04:10

View PostMrAce, on 2015-February-02, 17:14, said:

due to your hurt feelings from another topic.

Dude, I'm a politician. I have no feelings Posted Image

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-February-03, 06:48

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-February-03, 04:10, said:

Dude, I'm a politician. I have no feelings Posted Image

Thank you for telling this, Nuno. This explains a lot. But I always thought politicians are good at pretending like they know what they are talking about. You proved me wrong.

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician" -Charles Chaplin

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-February-03, 09:51

View PostMrAce, on 2015-February-03, 06:48, said:

But I always thought politicians are good at pretending like they know what they are talking about.

As are retired cops and truckdrivers. But, we hold out hope that people will evaluate what is said, rather than who is saying it --- then consider and accept or reject the content based on whether it is useful to them.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-05, 07:09

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-30, 15:43, said:

I see.
A topic suitable for the expert forum is expert bashing.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-February-10, 19:49

This should probably be the theory forum instead of the expert forum. It should be threads about with 5=3=3=2, is it ever right to bid 3 with this pattern? The auction is 1-2-2-3, ?. This is the general question. With a specific question where the hand is given, post it on the intermediate/advance forum.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users