BBO Discussion Forums: Suggestion on improving the compatibility and skill - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion on improving the compatibility and skill

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-02, 22:14

Suggestion on improving the compatibility and skill

Many of BBOers often complain of hard to find good players whom play with/against.
Many of BBOers often complain of hypocrisy of self rating.
I think the bboskill conclusion may be fair in the bbo skill website, if the total hands is set up over 10,000.
I suggest that BBO can add a option of the bbo skill,its prerequisites at below.
1-The total hands is set up over 100,000.
2-The BBOer play over five years.

For example,if this is feasible.then bbo can set up a special public club-the bboers only with over 1800 scores can open table or play at there.Orelse,I think more and more bboers will prefer to watch rather than play at the table,and gradually lose interest in bbo bridge.
Don't forget BBO is 10 years old,it is time to take chance to handle these problems.

Best Wishes

lycier

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-02, 22:36

View Postlycier, on 2015-February-02, 22:14, said:

I suggest that BBO can add a option of the bbo skill,its prerequisites at below.[/font]
1-The total hands is set up over 100,000.
2-The BBOer play over five years.

Are you suggesting that no one would have this rating until he has been a BBO member for at least 5 years and has played at least 100,000 hands on BBO?

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 00:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-February-02, 22:36, said:

Are you suggesting that no one would have this rating until he has been a BBO member for at least 5 years and has played at least 100,000 hands on BBO?

I am suggesting that no one would have this New rating until he has been a BBO member for at least 5 years and has played at least 100,000 hands on BBO.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-February-03, 10:26

We don't currently record the number of hands everyone has played, although we could get it from our archives. Only 60% of users have been members for at least 5 years. A method that excludes almost half the membership seems flawed.

Note that bboskill has no official connection with BBO.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-03, 15:56

View Postbarmar, on 2015-February-03, 10:26, said:

Note that bboskill has no official connection with BBO.

And I gather that it has been at least a half a year since the data on which it bases its ratings has been updated. Or so I understand. Happy to be corrected.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 16:23

There are basically 2 options to get strong partners/opponents. A: Make friends or B: Pay them. If unwilling to do A or B, you gets what you gets.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-03, 16:41

View Postbarmar, on 2015-February-03, 10:26, said:

I don't currently record the number of hands everyone has played, although we could get it from our archives. Only 60% of users have been members for at least 5 years. A method that excludes almost half the membership seems flawed.

100,000 is beyond ridiculous. I'd expect that less than a quarter of that 60% have played that many. I just reached 5 years, and I probably don't have half that.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-03, 16:46

Also, using a 5+ year span is a horrible way to evaluate anyone who started here as a beginner. Their results from 5 years ago may not have any relationship to their current skill level.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-February-04, 09:26

I play around 7500 hands a month these days, but it's almost all in robot tourneys. So I'm not sure how my performance there reflects how good a partner I'd be for a human.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users