BBO Discussion Forums: Normal Contract, reached in an abnormal manner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Normal Contract, reached in an abnormal manner

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-02, 12:43

There are times when the opponents do things to you that you just have to laugh.

Late last night, I was playing in an BBO ACBL IMP Pairs game. My partner and I play very aggressive weak 2 bids nonvul, so, when I held this hand:

I had to open 2. The rest of the auction proceeded as shown.

It turns out that only a trump lead (with partner not playing the K at trick one) will beat slam. Believe it or not, this is the full hand:

West made a "takeout" double with 55 in the pointed suits. East, needing the right normal takeout double in partner's hand to make a grand, quietly bid game.

I guess they know their limitations. Declarer made 10 tricks on a spade lead.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-02, 16:01

That tells me they are novice or,,,,they know your 2 openings Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-02, 16:19

MrAce, on 2015-February-02, 16:01, said:

That tells me they are novice or,,,,they know your 2 openings Posted Image

I would have thought that, too, if East had DOUBLED 3! They can certainly beat me 4 tricks without working too hard.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 16:51

What about normal contract with the normal ammount of tricks, but by the wrong players?

The field was defending 2 hearts with our cards, sometimes doubled, sometimes not. Losers! 2 hearts our way beated them all.

(NOTE: 2C stands for 2 corazones = 2 hearts)
Pareja  Contr    Sal   	Rdo  Puntuacin
 2 31   2Cx N  = PK    470      21,0  1,0
 6 25   2Cx N  = PK    470      21,0  1,0
 5 23   2C  N  = PK    110      17,0  5,0
14 26   2C  N  = P6    110      17,0  5,0
13 24   2C  O -2 TQ    100      14,0  8,0
10 32   3T  E -1 D3 	50      11,0 11,0
11 34   2P  O -1 C5 	50      11,0 11,0
12 22   2C  N -1 PK        -50   8,0 14,0
 4 21   2Cx N -1 PK   	-100   5,0 17,0
 7 27   2Cx N -1 PK   	-100   5,0 17,0
 1 29   2C  O  = TQ   	-110   2,0 20,0
 3 33   3Cx N -2 P6   	-300   0,0 22,0

When partner passed 2 I alerted that 2 is Game forcing, but I would bet now that he has a weak 2. Psyche 2 openings are forbidden here, but everyone knows my partner and has no doubt it is a missbid. Still I don't know if opponents deserve some reddress.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 18:00

Fluffy, on 2015-February-03, 16:51, said:

When partner passed 2 I alerted that 2 is Game forcing, but I would bet now that he has a weak 2. Psyche 2 openings are forbidden here, but everyone knows my partner and has no doubt it is a missbid. Still I don't know if opponents deserve some reddress.

It seems to me that they should be. While I do not approve of restrictions of certain types of psyches, they supposedly exist to protect the opponents. The opponents are in the same position after a misbid, so the latter should be subject to the same penalties as a psyche of the same bid. (Plus, of course, doing it this ay prevents people from trying it on.

Anyway psyches and misbids should be treated the same in pretty much all circumstances.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 18:50

Don't see why it has to be same penalties as psyche. Here 2 not strong artificial would require alert, and non-forcing 2M response to weak 2 also require alert. So 2 opener maybe has UI that responder thinks it's strong artificial, and thus not allowed to pass a normally forcing 2M response to weak two as it's alternative suggested by UI. Either that or you play 2M response to weak 2 non-forcing, and that would require an alert.

What are the Spanish regulations regarding this auction? Would seem weird to me that both 2 natural and 2 artificial both unalertable?

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-03, 20:53

Stephen Tu, on 2015-February-03, 18:50, said:

Don't see why it has to be same penalties as psyche.

The agreement was GF. The regulation says that if that is the agreement, you must have a GF hand when you bid it. Having recently switched from a natural meaning and forgot or whatever should not be considered a mitigating factor, unless I am mistaken that these psyche restrictions are in place to protect the opponents.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 21:38

Psyche is a deliberate misbid. Mistaken bid based on confusion about agreements is not a psyche. But you can't use UI to wake up from a mistaken agreement.

Given the long clubs, I am inclined to believe it was not deliberate. Opening 2c with long diamonds would be more likely to be psyche, unless one thought one were playing 2c=strong or weak 2 diamonds, but that would also have UI issues.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-04, 10:55

Stephen Tu, on 2015-February-03, 21:38, said:

Psyche is a deliberate misbid. Mistaken bid based on confusion about agreements is not a psyche.

I didn't say they were the same thing. What I said was that they should be ruled the same.

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-04, 11:46

I'm saying they probably shouldn't be ruled the same. Deliberate psyche probably is just procedural penalty? Here, if East used UI to find the pass of 2, that should be disallowed, and a score assigned. I could potentially see a ruling of 6nt-x or something like that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users