BBO Discussion Forums: Ratio of hands: Declarer to Total - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ratio of hands: Declarer to Total To play or not to play, that is the question

Poll: Declare or Defend (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What is a good percentage of hands played as declarer?

1. 50% (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 51% - 55% (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 56% - 60% (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 45% - 49% (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. 40% - 44% (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2015-February-01, 13:10

In the Main Room or BBO Tournaments, what is a good percentage of hands that should be played as delarer?

Assumptions:

Relatively even field
Advanced or higher player
Normal distribution of HCP
A reasonably good system in use
A regular or a frequent partner

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-02, 04:17

I think 25% is good, if you get anywhere close to 30% you sure should learn to pass more often.

Obviously you weren't asking that, but for me it is unclear if you mean how many hands should you declare as a partnership, or how many of the ones you declare on the partnershup should be you. And I have no clue how to answer any of them.

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-02, 17:04

View PostFluffy, on 2015-February-02, 04:17, said:

I think 25% is good, if you get anywhere close to 30% you sure should learn to pass more often.

Obviously you weren't asking that, but for me it is unclear if you mean how many hands should you declare as a partnership, or how many of the ones you declare on the partnershup should be you. And I have no clue how to answer any of them.

If you are playing in the Finals of the Blue Ribbon, or a world class invitational event, then 25% is, over many sessions, ideal.

However, most of us play in less exalted, and less skilled, events. For a club player or someone playing at what in NA would be the Sectional or Regional level, mostly against players of roughly the same ability, I would suggest you'd like to see your partnership playing about 54-55% of matchpoint hands. There are all kinds of reasons for this, but the main one is that defending is far more difficult than is declaring, especially for average players. A lot of aspiring players can declare reasonably well, since that is something one can study by oneself. Defence is often a case of both partners figuring out how to co-operate, and that is literally twice as difficult....both have to figure out the problem and work together....not, of course, on all or even most hands, but on enough to make a difference.

Btw, I think it a terrible idea to set out, on any session, to 'declare more hands'.....let it happen, and don't fret if over two or three sessions, or more, you aren't there yet. The sample size is too small, and trying to force the issue will almost certainly work poorly. However, if after 500 hands, you and partner are playing 45%, you may want to start looking at where you are missing out.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-02, 18:47

View PostFluffy, on 2015-February-02, 04:17, said:

Obviously you weren't asking that, but for me it is unclear if you mean how many hands should you declare as a partnership, or how many of the ones you declare on the partnershup should be you.

I think it must be the former, since the answer to how many hands you should allow the ox opposite to play is obvious: as close to 0% as you can possible manage :)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2015-February-02, 23:39

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The number I am looking for is a percent of all boards you declare of all the boards you have played. Given equal skills and normal distribution of tricks (average 6.5 per side) the number would be exactly 50%.

If you habitually overbid you will declare a higher % of total boards but will not score well.

If you habitually under bid you will declare a lower % of total boards and still not score well.

I feel that the field on BBO consistently overbids and trying to outbid them for the sake of declaring is not a winning strategy.

My partner and I consistently declare on 45-47% of our boards and score well on those boards. We break even on defense as most pairs do since the declarer has an advantage. Overall we do well on the average scores of all boards. My partner and I are both Advanced level players at best.

Using Double Dummy Solver I have sampled the boards of some top level BBO Royals as well as other players I consider to be good and the highest average scores are obtained by pairs that declare 45-50% of their boards. For this analysis I excluded all boards played with or against GiBs and included only hands played with humans. Most of the data came from ACBL tournament boards so the old cop out of how good are your opps does not apply.

So after giving this much information, the survey will have no meaning at all. I simply wanted to know if there is a general feeling among good players that they don't need to declare on every board to win.

#6 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-03, 00:07

View PostWayne_LV, on 2015-February-02, 23:39, said:

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The number I am looking for is a percent of all boards you declare of all the boards you have played. Given equal skills and normal distribution of tricks (average 6.5 per side) the number would be exactly 50%.

If you habitually overbid you will declare a higher % of total boards but will not score well.

If you habitually under bid you will declare a lower % of total boards and still not score well.

I feel that the field on BBO consistently overbids and trying to outbid them for the sake of declaring is not a winning strategy.

My partner and I consistently declare on 45-47% of our boards and score well on those boards. We break even on defense as most pairs do since the declarer has an advantage. Overall we do well on the average scores of all boards. My partner and I are both Advanced level players at best.

Using Double Dummy Solver I have sampled the boards of some top level BBO Royals as well as other players I consider to be good and the highest average scores are obtained by pairs that declare 45-50% of their boards. For this analysis I excluded all boards played with or against GiBs and included only hands played with humans. Most of the data came from ACBL tournament boards so the old cop out of how good are your opps does not apply.

So after giving this much information, the survey will have no meaning at all. I simply wanted to know if there is a general feeling among good players that they don't need to declare on every board to win.

I thought you were looking for advice on playing decent bridge, not on how to win against bad bridge :D It is a bidder's game, provided that you are a decent player and have some sense of judgment. We all know bad players who overbid consistently, and if your experience is mostly against BBO players, then by all means swing conservative. Once you start to play better opps, in better fields, defending 55% of the time will prove to be a very tough way to earn a living :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-03, 00:13

If you are seriously thinking about how to beat "the field on BBO" you really need to reevaluate your life priorities.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 01:55

View PostWayne_LV, on 2015-February-02, 23:39, said:

We break even on defense as most pairs do since the declarer has an advantage.

Something feels inconsistent about these three sentences.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-February-03, 03:13

If you know what the optimal percentage is, why ask us?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users