Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Nanny State Also corporations that want to run my life

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-31, 23:49

1. Sainsbury's: judging me on my food choices. Why do they tell me on the package how many raisins count as one of my 5-a-day, but not how many chocolate-covered raisins?

2. We are not allowed to have hot water. A couple of years ago we had the mechanism to our shower changed, and now it is a really complicated procedure involving removing the handle and turning a sort of cog to get the shower to run hot.

3. Marks & Spencer's apparently don't want to offend anyone who doesn't speak English, so they don't include English wording alongside the meaningless symbols they use for care instructions on their clothes.

4. The EBU: protecting me from opponents who want to play transfer openings.

5. One of my cats refuses to use the cat flap unless she absolutely has to, preferring to use my partner and me as unpaid doormen. The other cat is starting to think that she prefers this treatment too.

6. Do I need to be reminded after every ad break that the show I am watching contains violence, profanity, sexual content and scenes that some viewers may find disturbing?

7. Why does Granny have to stay home alone on Christmas if she doesn't have a car?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 00:44

NHS is the nanny state. All else follows that the UK want a Nanny State.

To attack NHS is to attack the HOly and the Sacred!

I mean I worked for a company here in the USA that was the Nanny State and everyone loved it. I had friends wanting me to get them hired. Funny enough it was founded by
http://en.wikipedia....Andrew_Carnegie

btw your points are wonderful but not sure about #7

When I was younger I called the president of the USA raisin company to complain about the worm in my box of raisins...I was told this is a common problem.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-01, 01:50

View Postmike777, on 2015-February-01, 00:44, said:

NHS is the nanny state. All else follows that the UK want a Nanny State.

To attack NHS is to attack the HOly and the Sacred!

Do you really think the NHS is at the root of it all?

btw your points are wonderful but not sure about #7

All public transport closed on Christmas Day, reduced service on Xmas Eve and Boxing Day. It is a truly bizarre state of affairs.

When I was younger I called the president of the USA raisin company to complain about the worm in my box of raisins...I was told this is a common problem.

Gross! (was it alive?)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 01:54

yes NHs and your granny say it all (btw as someone who is older and does not own a car or cell phone the nanny state is looking good in the UK)
3) I was told it was some version of a moth, common when it comes to the industry, very common they bore in.
---

with all that said I enjoyed your post V.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-02, 16:45

1. Chocolate is one of the core food groups, and there is no upper limit on the amount of chocolate in a proper diet, altho purists might object to the insertion of a raisin into an otherwise ideal snack

2. Studies have shown many things, one of which is that showering in cold water increases one's energy level for the rest of the day and improves physical and mental health. I'll take the study's word for it, since I think it my duty to stand up for the status quo, but I infer that someone with power over your plumbing has your best interests at heart. Plus, the need to do complex mental and physical work in order to get hot water will also surely be beneficial to you in the long run,

3. I suspect that someone at Marks and Spencers has been told that they need to cater to the ancient Egyptian demographic, hence the use of pictograms. Anyway, see my point about effort being good for you, in paragraph 2. Plus, the use of unreadable instructions maximizes the chance of accidental damage to the product, increasing the need for replacement purchases (they seem to forget that the irate consumer might buy the replacement from a competitor)

4. You complain about the EBU? Just try bridge in the ACBL. We can't play Multi....and in those restricted events where we can, we have to provide the opps with written defences, which they can each refer to during the auction. Compared to the ACBL, the EBU is a hotbed of libertarianism.

5. I take it that you voluntarily agreed to live with cats. I am a dog person. A cat person gets what she or he deserves :D With a dog, I am always sure of love and affection whenever I return home, and their need for exercise makes me get out for long walks.

6. How else are they going to make most of the audience think that the show is worth watching?

7. Tell Granny to go impose herself on her kids for a couple of nights...she has the perfect excuse. The way I see it, the transport authorities are trying to strengthen families :D *

* none of the above necessarily reflect the true opinion of the writer, other than no. 4
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-03, 02:20

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-31, 23:49, said:

7. Why does Granny have to stay home alone on Christmas if she doesn't have a car?

She probably welcomes it after a hard year of bus driving.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users