BBO Discussion Forums: Question on Anti - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on Anti Anti (competing over opponents NT)

#1 User is offline   dfobrien 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 12:18

My partner and I have begun playing Anti over opponents NT. Not sure if it is widely played in the US, but the core bids are:
2 shows OR both majors
2 shows OR and a longer minor
2 shows and a minor
2 shows
2NT shows both minors.

Generally where the bid can be one of two hand types partner responds the lowest option as a relay, or bids 2NT to enquire with a good hand.

A bid came up for the first time the other day over which we have had a disagreement. I overcalled 2 and rather than relaying 2 partner bid 2 instead.

I took this a paradox-type bid (like over a multi 2 opening) showing tolerance for , whereas partner meant it as natural - he had 4 spades. Looking online, although there is not much material on Anti, what there is seems to support him, and it seems I should apologise. However, I am wondering why this is, as the paradox bid seems to make much more sense to me. Why commit us to 3 if I have rather than and a longer minor. And if he has why not wait and raise or pass a 2 rebid if I make one?

Would welcome any thoughts. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 12:45

Either meaning for 2 over 2 is reasonable. If it only shows spades rather than both spades and hearts though, it should show something like six spades. Catering to 6-0, 6-1 hands in the majors which don't really want to declare 2, gambling that the 2 overcaller has a couple spades.

Not a big fan of this defense in general. Look into Woolsey or Multi-Landy

#3 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 13:04

Have there been recent (or upcoming) changes to the GCC making the 2 bid legal?

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 13:54

That would be one of the reasons it's not commmon in the U.S. :-)

My guess is that multi-Landy is getting enough traction with pros with enough relevant ears listening in that the X and 2 exemption will get extended to 2 "soon" - but I thought that 4 years ago, too, so yakno.

OTOH, asking California types may get a better answer (if you care about American answers) because they've been "GCC + all defences to NT" since "all defences to NT" stopped being GCC...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 00:35

View Postmycroft, on 2015-January-29, 13:54, said:

That would be one of the reasons it's not commmon in the U.S. :-)

My guess is that multi-Landy is getting enough traction with pros with enough relevant ears listening in that the X and 2 exemption will get extended to 2 "soon" - but I thought that 4 years ago, too, so yakno.

OTOH, asking California types may get a better answer (if you care about American answers) because they've been "GCC + all defences to NT" since "all defences to NT" stopped being GCC...

I think that GCC + all defenses was a certain parts of southern California, and I'm not sure it is still there. In northern California, when playing GCC, multi-landy is no good. Now we are more pro-midchart than many places in the US, so most club games and most sectionals default to midchart for most events.

I would think the best treatment of 2 in OP is natural. But not a 4 card suit. More the type Stephen describes that you have your own spade suit (so IMO you shouldn't bid 3 with the hearts hand over 2). This might be different if partner has already passed (I.e., you acted in the balancing seat over 1nt), but in the direct seat just because you have a 5 or 6 card heart suit you offered doesn't mean partner can't have a 6 or 7 card spade suit of their own.

Similarly, even in the simple capp treatment where 2 shows a single unknown long suit and usually forces 2, it makes sense to allow 2M as natural non-forcing bids. These aren't paradox responses showing super fits for skipped levels (although I know a couple of people who do this), but rather ways to say I don't care if you might have 5 or 6 diamonds, I have a major we should play in.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 06:03

Wow, one reply and straight into the GCC! I took the OP's reference to the US to suggest they are NOT playing there, rather than requesting advice about ACBL regulations.

Hello dfobrien and welcome to the BBO forums!

First of all, I would concur that this is not the best defence around but if you and your partner are happy with it then no problems to continue you using it providing you agree on some follow-ups, not only after a pass, as here, but also, and perhaps more importantly, after 3rd hand bids something. Although I do not play the method, my understanding is that the more common treatment is for 2 to show a preference for spades over the minor should you hold that hand and willingness to play in at least 3 if that is Overcaller's suit. With a good hand and a spade suit of their own, Advancer has to start with 2NT. With a weak hand and spades it is probably best not to announce the potential misfit to the opps and just play in 2 if necessary.

Of course you could agree for 2 over 2 to be natural in some rnage if you want to. It is really up to you and, as you can read above, many do prefer it that way.

Some additional things for you to discuss:
After (1NT) - 2, is it a 2NT or 3 advance to play in the minor? Similarly, after (1NT) - 2; 2 - 2. Default here is probably 2NT for both but 3 has certain advantages, especially after a 2 overcall.
How about "impossible" rebids, for example (1NT) - 2; 2M - 3 or (1NT) - 2; 2 - 3m. Similarly for a 2NT rebid in either auction. If you play the default Paradox style then it makes sense to use these to show the one-suited hand and extras, thus allowing for invites but it needs to be discussed and agreed.
What is a XX if 3rd hand doubles? The answer to this will also lead directly to the meanings for the other advances. Default here is for XX to replace the relay.
What is X if 3rd hand bids? As above, the default in pretty much all multi-way defences is for X to become a relay.

As you can see, the number of potential misunderstandings becomes quite large with defences of this nature. You really do need to take some time on it if you want to get the most out of it. Otherwise you are probably better off using something simple such as Landy.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   dfobrien 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-31, 18:49

Thanks to all for the replies. As you guessed, we are not US players, and Anti is indeed permitted in our regulations.

The one thing partner and I did agree on is that we need to do more work on the nuances of this system, so thanks to all for the suggestions.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-January-31, 19:54

mbodell 2 has been GCC in SoCal for at least 10 years and I thought D21 adopted it too

I believe it's currently under consideration nationally.

The OP looks like half suction half Capp. So it doesn't quite suck all the way :P
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-31, 22:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-30, 06:03, said:

Otherwise you are probably better off using something simple such as Landy.

Yes, Landy is way more effective than a lot of people give it credit for. I usually play Multi Landy, which is all the rage around here, but I don't think that, in practice, there is much difference in effectiveness.

Compared to the OP method, (Multi) Landy has the great advantage that you can bid 2 over 2 to show no preference between the majors, so you will play In your longer fit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 00:10

View PostPhil, on 2015-January-31, 19:54, said:

mbodell 2 has been GCC in SoCal for at least 10 years and I thought D21 adopted it too

D21 at one point in time was allowing all defenses over NT even in nominally GCC events, but at some point in the last few years it got "unadopted". I know because director Nancy Boyd made me drop Woolsey in a sectional last year! Most D21 flighted A/X events you can play it though as midchart is common there.

Hopefully the motion passes and we get to play it again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users