BBO Discussion Forums: Alerts at the table - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alerts at the table

#1 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2015-January-28, 13:33

Looks like the local club's Wed. night game is coming back to life. I have been able to attend around a half dozen times. The first few was just getting oriented and people were very accommodating through the learning curve. One area where I am still having problems is with the Alerts and Announcements. I haven't ever really had to worry about them in the past, and it is my goal to quickly get a lot better at the table...

Looking through the card I give to prospective partners I compiled a list of alterable conventions to use as a cheat sheet for the back of my pocket. Most of them are relatively straight forward, but some I am kind of left scratching my head...

I would like to find a sort of heuristic to help me identify when I need to speak up, but if it is just a memorization thing, so be it. I'll just need to know when.

For instance playing inverted minors is easy, anytime a minor suit is raised at the 2 or three level say alert, but playing lebensohl (fast denies) after 1NT interference which calls need to be alerted? I would assume the auction 1 NT, (2), 2NT, (Pass) (3)... would require an alert on the 2NT bid but does the 3 puppet response get one too?

Also, still playing lebensohl the auction goes

1NT - (2) - 2 - (Pass). In this auction the 2 is natural and non forcing...

Or this auction which is natural and game forcing

1NT - (2) - 3 - (Pass)

or the Stayman request denying stopper

1NT - (2) - 3 - (Pass)

Beyond lebonsohl some other conventions where I am not sure would include...

Cappelletti: I would assume the 2 and 2 would be alerertable, but would 2, 2 or 2NT?

Bergen Raises: I would assume most sequences in this auction would be alertable, but how many alerts would be necessary in these auctions

1 - (Pass) - 1NT (1) - (Pass)
2 - (Pass) - 3 (2)

(1) Forcing
(2) Limit Raise+ w/ 3 card support

When pd bids 1 NT I just announce it's forcing because I don't know the 3 is coming yet, but when it hits the table, do I need to alert? If not playing Bergen I wouldn't alert this limit raise sequence 1 - Pass - 3 - (Pass), but does the intervening 1 NT make the 3 alertable?

or (actual auction)

1 - (Pass) - 3 (1) - (Pass)
3 (2) - (Pass) - 4 (3) - (Pass)
4NT (4) - (Pass) - 5 (5) - (Pass)
6 - All Pass

(1) supports with unspecified singleton or void
(2) Asks for short suit
(3) Short suit
(4) RKCB 1430 ask in
(5) RKCB 1430 response 2 Keycards w/ Q

Puppet Stayman used outside of a 2NT opening.

1NT - (Pass) - 3clubs (1) - (Pass)
3 (2) - (Pass) - 3 (3) - (Pass)
4 (4) - All Pass

(1) Puppet Stayman Ask (Game Force)
(2) No 5 card major, unspecified 4 card major
(3) 4 game invite in hearts
(4) Accept Heart invite 4

Finally, playing Jacoby 2NT the auction goes

1 - (Pass) - 2NT (1) - (Pass)
3 (2) - (X (3)) - 4 (4) - (Pass)
4NT (5) - (Pass) - 5 (6) - All Pass

(1) Jacoby 2 NT 4 hearts, opening hand strength
(2) Splinter in spades
(3) Lead directing
(4) 1st round control in , no first round control in
(5) 1st round control in , no first round control in
(6) Retreat to trump missing too many controls ( and )

Some of these auctions seem like the majority of the bids would require an alert but I don't need a comprehensive answer on which bids in each auction require an alert. Rather they are demonstrative of the types of auctions where I find myself uncertain if I should alert or not.

Not alerting bids means they might be taken out of context, but over alerting seems like it could be even more confusing. I don't have enough time before or after the games to ask these types of questions but would prefer to avoid future calls for the director. So I'll take any advice on how to handle these more complicated auctions...

Also when typing out auctions is there a way to denote the bid is alertable without a diagram I have seen stuff like 1 - (Pass) - 3! but wasn't sure the exclamation mark denoted an alert... If it isn't an alert how is it read?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 14:13

The ACBL's general principles are:
- announcements for 1nt opening range, D->H, H->S transfers over NT openings/overcalls (not transfers to minor, just alert, since people play these as a lot of different things and announcing would transmit UI), 1nt forcing/semi-forcing response to 1M, short 1c/1d non-forcing opening.
- artificial, alert everything except for: 2c strong artificial opening (2c natural opening not strong is alertable), 2d neg/waiting response to 2c, blackwood, gerber, cheapest club response to 1nt/2nt/2nt rebid as stayman/puppet stayman, diamond response to stayman denying major. (response to puppet stayman alertable, not the club bid itself).
- natural, alert if playing an unusual strength range vs. vanilla old fashioned standard, or has unusual distributional inferences about other suits. (NT bids not denying unbid 4 cd majors no longer considered unusual, not alertable).
- cue bids of opponent's suit not alertable unless to play after opponent's natural opening
- doubles generally not alertable unless highly unusual/unexpected, but support doubles still alertable.
- for artificial bids above 3nt, *starting with opener's rebid*, including things like RKC, it's post-alert *after* the auction if on offense.

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-28, 13:33, said:

For instance playing inverted minors is easy, anytime a minor suit is raised at the 2 or three level say alert, but playing lebensohl (fast denies) after 1NT interference which calls need to be alerted? I would assume the auction 1 NT, (2), 2NT, (Pass) (3)... would require an alert on the 2NT bid but does the 3 puppet response get one too?

Also, still playing lebensohl the auction goes

1NT - (2) - 2 - (Pass). In this auction the 2 is natural and non forcing...

Or this auction which is natural and game forcing

1NT - (2) - 3 - (Pass)

or the Stayman request denying stopper

1NT - (2) - 3 - (Pass)

The 2 and 3 being natural and of the expected range are not alertable. 3 being a cue bid is not alertable (and on that sequence, I don't think it denies a stopper playing std Lebensohl). If the opps ask of course you should supply the info about stopper showing/denying. A direct 3nt denying a stopper would be alertable.

Cappelletti: I would assume the 2 and 2 would be alerertable, but would 2, 2 or 2NT?

2M is alertable because there is another suit promised. 2nt, unclear, most unusual 2nt showing minors is not alertable, but it will hardly hurt anything if you alerted it.

1 - (Pass) - 1NT (1) - (Pass)
2 - (Pass) - 3 (2)

(1) Forcing
(2) Limit Raise+ w/ 3 card support

When pd bids 1 NT I just announce it's forcing because I don't know the 3 is coming yet, but when it hits the table, do I need to alert? If not playing Bergen I wouldn't alert this limit raise sequence 1 - Pass - 3 - (Pass), but does the intervening 1 NT make the 3 alertable?

Just announce 1nt forcing. The rest is essentially natural and of expected range and shape soo no alerts.

1 - (Pass) - 3 (1) - (Pass)
3 (2) - (Pass) - 4 (3) - (Pass)
4NT (4) - (Pass) - 5 (5) - (Pass)
6 - All Pass

(1) supports with unspecified singleton or void
(2) Asks for short suit
(3) Short suit
(4) RKCB 1430 ask in
(5) RKCB 1430 response 2 Keycards w/ Q

3h/3s alertable. Rest are post-alerts as above 3nt.

4 (4) - All Pass

Alert 1/2/3.

Not alerting bids means they might be taken out of context, but over alerting seems like it could be even more confusing. I don't have enough time before or after the games to ask these types of questions but would prefer to avoid future calls for the director. So I'll take any advice on how to handle these more complicated auctions...

Err on the side of over-alerting rather than under alerting. For bids above 3nt on the second round of the auction then post-alert.

#3 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2015-January-28, 16:08

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-28, 14:13, said:

The ACBL's general principles are:
- announcements for 1nt opening range, D->H, H->S transfers over NT openings/overcalls (not transfers to minor, just alert, since people play these as a lot of different things and announcing would transmit UI), 1nt forcing/semi-forcing response to 1M, short 1c/1d non-forcing opening.
- artificial, alert everything except for: 2c strong artificial opening (2c natural opening not strong is alertable), 2d neg/waiting response to 2c, blackwood, gerber, cheapest club response to 1nt/2nt/2nt rebid as stayman/puppet stayman, diamond response to stayman denying major. (response to puppet stayman alertable, not the club bid itself).
- natural, alert if playing an unusual strength range vs. vanilla old fashioned standard, or has unusual distributional inferences about other suits. (NT bids not denying unbid 4 cd majors no longer considered unusual, not alertable).
- cue bids of opponent's suit not alertable unless to play after opponent's natural opening
- doubles generally not alertable unless highly unusual/unexpected, but support doubles still alertable.
- for artificial bids above 3nt, *starting with opener's rebid*, including things like RKC, it's post-alert *after* the auction if on offense.

This seems like a nice and extremely more digestible form of this: http://web2.acbl.org...t/alertpamp.htm thanks for the summation, I read that link three times and I'm still not sure I get all of it, but that's why I posted here.

A quick question on Post Alerts though. Should post alerts be made before or after the opener has selected their card to lead? So if the opening leader has questions after the auction they are to be asked prior to the selection of the card. Their partner is than offered a chance to ask questions and the typical "No Questions" triggers the lead to be placed face up and the dummy to drop. If a post alert is required am I to volunteer the information prior to picking up the bidding cards? Also what if there was more than one bid that would require an alert?

i.e.

1 - (Pass) - 4 (1) - (Pass)
4NT(2) - (Pass) - 5 (3) - Pass
5 (4) - (Pass) - 6 (5)

(1) Splinter
(2) RKC1430
(3) 1 or 4 Key Cards
(4) Asks for Q
(5) (Shows Q

Here there is a splinter, RKCB and the trump queen ask, how would you alert this after the auction?

Speaking of splinters if the auction goes 1 - (Pass) - 3 - (Pass) showing a splinter bid. this is below 3 NT so should it be alerted immediately? However, if the auction goes 1 - Pass - 4 - Pass does this then get a Post Alert?

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-28, 14:13, said:

The 2 and 3 being natural and of the expected range are not alertable. 3 being a cue bid is not alertable (and on that sequence, I don't think it denies a stopper playing std Lebensohl). If the opps ask of course you should supply the info about stopper showing/denying. A direct 3nt denying a stopper would be alertable.

Geez, I hope it denies a stopper when playing slow shows stopper or fast denies (which I thought was "standard.") If not I have been playing it wrong, which is completely possible...

1NT - (2) - 3(1) - (Pass)

(1) Stayman showing four spades and no heart stopper...

1NT - (2]) - 2NT (1) - (Pass)
3NT (4) - All Pass

(1) lebensohl 2NT
(2) lebensohl puppet response
(3) Stayman showing 4 spades
(4) Denies 4 spades

Thanks again for the great response...

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 17:04

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-28, 16:08, said:

A quick question on Post Alerts though. Should post alerts be made before or after the opener has selected their card to lead? So if the opening leader has questions after the auction they are to be asked prior to the selection of the card. Their partner is than offered a chance to ask questions and the typical "No Questions" triggers the lead to be placed face up and the dummy to drop. If a post alert is required am I to volunteer the information prior to picking up the bidding cards? Also what if there was more than one bid that would require an alert?

Before they lead, just volunteer the information. Say something like "we had a key card sequence" or "4 was a splinter" etc. Mention anything you'd think an opponent would want to know, every bid that you think requires disclosure.

1 - (Pass) - 4 (1) - (Pass)
4NT(2) - (Pass) - 5 (3) - Pass
5 (4) - (Pass) - 6 (5)

(1) Splinter
(2) RKC1430
(3) 1 or 4 Key Cards
(4) Asks for Q
(5) (Shows Q

Here there is a splinter, RKCB and the trump queen ask, how would you alert this after the auction?

4 is an immediate alert since it's on the first round of the auction. As for the rest, I'd just say that "we had a keycard sequence, responder showed 1 or 4 keycards and the trump Q".

Speaking of splinters if the auction goes 1 - (Pass) - 3 - (Pass) showing a splinter bid. this is below 3 NT so should it be alerted immediately? However, if the auction goes 1 - Pass - 4 - Pass does this then get a Post Alert?

First round OR below 3nt is immediate alert. Something like uncontested 1-1-4! splinter on 2nd round of auction is post-alert.

Geez, I hope it denies a stopper when playing slow shows stopper or fast denies (which I thought was "standard.") If not I have been playing it wrong, which is completely possible...

1NT - (2) - 3(1) - (Pass)

(1) Stayman showing four spades and no heart stopper...

No, you've been playing it right. It's just that when clubs is the suit, you don't have two ways to cue bid clubs since there is no room to make a delayed cue, so traditionally 3 is silent as to stoppers.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 20:23

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-28, 17:04, said:

No, you've been playing it right. It's just that when clubs is the suit, you don't have two ways to cue bid clubs since there is no room to make a delayed cue, so traditionally 3 is silent as to stoppers.

Once I posted what I like, which is to use this sequence (when 2 shows clubs with or without an undisclosed other suit):

as Stayman with a club stopper. You get two ways to cuebid clubs while losing one of your three ways to bid diamonds.

That other time that I posted this idea it was mocked, but I think it makes sense.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-28, 20:46

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-28, 13:33, said:

Puppet Stayman used outside of a 2NT opening.

4 (4) - All Pass

What do you gain here by opener admitting to a four-card major? You are revealing a lot about the closed hand, which you might never have to do if responder had been interested only in a 5-card major. (I am assuming that you use 1NT-2 as "regular" Stayman).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 00:16

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-28, 20:46, said:

What do you gain here by opener admitting to a four-card major? You are revealing a lot about the closed hand, which you might never have to do if responder had been interested only in a 5-card major. (I am assuming that you use 1NT-2 as "regular" Stayman).

Responder may have a three card major and a 4 card major.

If responder has, e.g., a 3=4=1=5 pattern, he wanto play in 4 oppposite four hearts, in 4 opposite five spades and opposite four spades, he wants to let opener decide whether to play in the 4-3 fit or in 3NT.

Rik

Disclaimer: This is merely an answer to the question, not an endorsement of the method.
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 01:42

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-28, 16:08, said:

A quick question on Post Alerts though. Should post alerts be made before or after the opener has selected their card to lead?

Depends on if the alerts are for the declaring side or the defending side. Usually it is the declaring side in which case it is before the opening lead, as Stephen said. If it is the defending side that had delayed alerts, those are given after the opening lead has been selected and placed face down on the table but before it has been turned over and revealed. The acbl procedures say:

The dummy or declarer Alerts the defenders before the opening lead. The defenders Alert after the opening lead has been made but before it is faced.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-29, 04:19

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-28, 20:23, said:

Once I posted what I like, which is to use this sequence (when 2 shows clubs with or without an undisclosed other suit):

The other very common method is to play "System On" with double as Stayman. This also loses one way of playing diamonds (2) for gains elsewhere. Given that a 2 overcall [of 1NT] is rarely natural these days, these things do not tend to come up very often.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 09:01

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-28, 17:04, said:

This contradicts something I was previously told, but I like this much better, so I am just going to go with the confirmation bias here. I never liked playing lebensohl against Cappelletti because of the artificial 2 overcall. Thanks

#11 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 09:09

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-28, 20:46, said:

I do play 1NT - 2 as regular Stayman... I don't always bid 4 with a 4 card major I may just jump to 3NT, It depends on my major suit holdings. But at Match points I am told the 420 vs 400 can make a difference so... Who am I to argue.

#12 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 09:30

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-29, 00:16, said:

If responder has, e.g., a 3=4=1=5 pattern, he wanto play in 4 oppposite four hearts, in 4 opposite five spades and opposite four spades, he wants to let opener decide whether to play in the 4-3 fit or in 3NT.

Rik

Disclaimer: This is merely an answer to the question, not an endorsement of the method.

I Like the disclaimer... When I moved to the "advanced" 2/1 card on my copy of iBridgeBaron, which is admittedly where I learned to play exclusively for the first two years, this convention was either on by default or it was modified before I adopted the card and appeared as if it were. The first time the bid was used I had to search for it...I found this article by Larry Cohen: http://www.larryco.c...x?articleID=565. It was enough for me to leave it on as I thought it would be fairly common practice and I should familiarize myself with it. As it turns out that assumption was wrong.

With that said, I have grown to like the method. Unless there is another conventional use for 1NT - 3 I am missing I find any hand I would want to bid 1NT - 3 can go through regular Stayman so the auction would become 1NT - 2 - 2X - 3 . My favorite thing about it is it establishes the game force and tells partner I have at least some higher level interest.

It's really just a habit though, so I would be interested in the perceived downsides to this treatment.

Thanks,

#13 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 10:24

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-29, 09:01, said:

This contradicts something I was previously told, but I like this much better, so I am just going to go with the confirmation bias here.

What were you told previously that contradicts this? "Direct denies", but obviously if clubs are the suit you can't bid 2nt->3c then bid 3c, if you want stopper inferences you have to do something like Vampyr suggested, giving up a diamond bid, or use the direct double of 2c as stayman also, or some other such solution. Just std Lebensohl doesn't cover this when the suit is clubs, though it works how you originally describe for the other suits.

As for the puppet stayman discussion, look at the "new and improved" part of the Cohen article you linked. The main thing is you want to not leak information about opener's hand if you don't have to; if responder always uses 2 with both 4 cd majors, then opener doesn't have to reveal whether he has a 4cd major or not with 3; 3 can just deny 5 cd major and be silent as to 4 cd majors. This works over 1nt, but not over 2nt opening since you only have one ask available.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-29, 11:31

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-29, 00:16, said:

So reaponder's showing a 4-card major promises a 3-card major as well? If that is the method, there is still no reason for opener to reveal the presence of a 4-card major.

Oops, missed above post.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-29, 11:36

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-29, 09:01, said:

This contradicts something I was previously told, but I like this much better, so I am just going to go with the confirmation bias here. I never liked playing lebensohl against Cappelletti because of the artificial 2 overcall. Thanks

When the 2 overcall is artificial, it is normal to ignore it and play double as Stayman. Alternatively if at least one suit is k own you can still play Lebensohl.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-29, 11:49

View Postwclucas42, on 2015-January-29, 09:30, said:

With that said, I have grown to like the method. Unless there is another conventional use for 1NT - 3 I am missing I find any hand I would want to bid 1NT - 3 can go through regular Stayman so the auction would become 1NT - 2 - 2X - 3 . My favorite thing about it is it establishes the game force and tells partner I have at least some higher level interest.

There are a million conventional uses for 3. Anyway your way of showing GF clubs is OK, but you will find yourself stuck when opener rebids 2 and responder has a good hand with 4 6. That's why this sequence is usually used when responder has a 4-card major along with the clubs.

I assume that you use either 2 or 2NT as an invitational bid in notrumps. You can use the other one to show a weak or slam-try hand with a minor

#17 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 11:54

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-29, 10:24, said:

What were you told previously that contradicts this? "Direct denies", but obviously if clubs are the suit you can't bid 2nt->3c then bid 3c, if you want stopper inferences you have to do something like Vampyr suggested, giving up a diamond bid, or use the direct double of 2c as stayman also, or some other such solution. Just std Lebensohl doesn't cover this when the suit is clubs, though it works how you originally describe for the other suits.

It was over a year ago I was at my local watering hole having a conversation with a visiting professor I had gotten to know He was a lapsed player, and new I was trying to learn the game. He asked how my game was progressing, I guess it was a slow day, and I was bemoaning the "new" cappelletti interference introduced when I moved to the "intermediate" card, He started explaining the basics to me and I asked, "but what about clubs, you'd have to show your stopper at the 4 level" and I think the reply was something like yeah that can be a problem... I didn't think to question it at the time and it erroneously stuck, I'm not passing blame, I should have caught it. Heck, I subsequently "read" Lebonsohl Complete on loan and still held that misperception. Sometimes I just need these mistakes to slap me in the face I guess.

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-January-29, 10:24, said:

As for the puppet stayman discussion, look at the "new and improved" part of the Cohen article you linked. The main thing is you want to not leak information about opener's hand if you don't have to; if responder always uses 2 with both 4 cd majors, then opener doesn't have to reveal whether he has a 4cd major or not with 3; 3 can just deny 5 cd major and be silent as to 4 cd majors. This works over 1nt, but not over 2nt opening since you only have one ask available.

I did read that part of the article (and the linked one) and do see the benefit, but playing as I was at the time, it wasn't like I could have a systems discussion with my iDevices, so I stuck with what was offered. While I have been able to play regularly at the club lately, I am mostly a fill in player for standing partnerships and as such I don't have a standard set of agreements with any partner. My convention card reads like a menu of the things I can play and before the game the person I am playing with reads it over (they never seem to bring a card) and we set a final system usually by subtracting some of the conventions and maybe adding ones they prefer. Although if it isn't on my card I probably don't know it (like Ogust.)

I should also mention thanks for the help again. I was ready to alert at the table last night and I don't think there was a single bid from my partner that required one. We did have one key card sequence so I mentioned it at the end of the auction and people, while polite, did kind of look at me like "duh, we understood the auction."

#18 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 12:10

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-29, 11:36, said:

When the 2 overcall is artificial, it is normal to ignore it and play double as Stayman. Alternatively if at least one suit is known you can still play Lebensohl.

I like this, I already play systems on after double so its not much of a change. Unfortunately I can't find a setting available on iBridgeBaron to light it up. I am also uncertain how I could include this on a card for a pickup partner to say yeah or nay. Maybe I'll just trot the bid out at a game and see what happens, at least it would start a conversation and I could gauge what is "standard" at the local club.

#19 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 12:46

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-29, 11:49, said:

There are a million conventional uses for 3. Anyway your way of showing GF clubs is OK, but you will find yourself stuck when opener rebids 2 and responder has a good hand with 4 6. That's why this sequence is usually used when responder has a 4-card major along with the clubs.

I assume that you use either 2 or 2NT as an invitational bid in notrumps. You can use the other one to show a weak or slam-try hand with a minor

2NT is invitational in no trump

2 is standard Stayman.

Yeah, you're right., I would have a 4 card major for 1NT - 2 - 2X - 3, otherwise I would just use 2 as a club relay. That's what I get for posting before coffee...

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 14:16

One note: since beginning of 2014, *any* 2 call in response to a Strong, Artificial, Forcing 2 opening is not Alertable. It used to be just "negative or semiautomatic" (with "promising values" being Alertable, but frequently nobody did); now it's everything.

Shouldn't matter to this conversation, but a small note to a very good summary of the Alert Chart posted by Stephen Tu.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users