BBO Discussion Forums: 4 bidding decisions in 1 hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

4 bidding decisions in 1 hand

#1 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 11:46

You are vul, they are not.
Express Free TCR 90 Automated Fun is the only indicator if the skill of the other players you have.
You are South with the following hand:

KJ73
J6
K6
K9642

East opens 1. What do you bid first?

Now assume you passed there. The bidding becomes this:
1 P 2 X
P ?

Now what do you bid?

Now say you bid 3 there, and the bidding becomes

1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P ?

Now what do you bid?

Now say that you went for 3 there. The bidding is now

1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P 3 P P
4 ?

And now what do you bid?

P.S.: Feel free to post here even if you're not a novice/beginner. Some of these are probably kinda hard for a novice/beginner to figure out what is the best choice.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 12:53

MPs or IMPs?

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-January-28, 14:39

I would have: (1)passed, (2)bid 3, (3) I wouldn't have had your problem but would have done the same you did, (4)Double.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 17:00

1) I double over 1h to get this hand off my chest, bidding early helps.
2) given op then now 3s but I would not have this issue.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-28, 21:31

Pass first unless playing Raptor.
4S over the x. To the 3S bidders, don't you play this as pre emptive with QJ to 6 or 7 and out?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 00:21

Pass over 1H. Double would get a different hand off my chest.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 00:31

View Postthe hog, on 2015-January-28, 21:31, said:

To the 3S bidders, don't you play this as pre emptive with QJ to 6 or 7 and out?

Yes, we do play something in that direction (though certainly not that restrictive or preemptive). Typically 5-9 with 5-6 spades.

But novices/beginners don't.

And since bridge is a team game, where the strength of the weakest link determines the result, the expert player picks the bids that his novice/beginner partner will be comfortable with, rather than do what he would be doing when playing with himself (pun intended).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 02:04

How can 3s be preemptive? LHO already made a limit bid so they probably don't need the bidding space. And I want to be able to bid a hand like this.

1: double. This is not pretty with two diamonds and obviously pass is the "correct" call but I think double works in the long run.

2 I would bid 3S. it is important to realise that 3c is something you would bid with zero points so when you have a decent hand in response to partners double you have to show it. Sometimes it is better to bid the opponents suit instead of jumping on a four card suit but here you are unlikely to have five spades since you didn't ocercall in the first round. 3c or 2S is not crazy, though. Some partners double light after opps raise so if opps are known to be sound bidders, we are unlikely to have game.

3: yes 3S.

4: double.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-29, 05:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-29, 02:04, said:

How can 3s be preemptive? LHO already made a limit bid so they probably don't need the bidding space. And I want to be able to bid a hand like this.

1: double. This is not pretty with two diamonds and obviously pass is the "correct" call but I think double works in the long run.

2 I would bid 3S. it is important to realise that 3c is something you would bid with zero points so when you have a decent hand in response to partners double you have to show it. Sometimes it is better to bid the opponents suit instead of jumping on a four card suit but here you are unlikely to have five spades since you didn't ocercall in the first round. 3c or 2S is not crazy, though. Some partners double light after opps raise so if opps are known to be sound bidders, we are unlikely to have game.

3: yes 3S.

4: double.

"And I want to be able to bid a hand like this."
So do I so I bid 4S
I want to bid 3S on 6 0r 7 and not much else.

To Trinidad, you appear to have a very low opinion of those who pose questions on this section of the site, They have the ability to learn. Don't treat people like idiots.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 05:40

1) Vul vs not, no aces, we are not a passed hand, so pass.
2) This is tricky. 3S might hang partner for prebalancing on a 10-count 3244 or similar, but if partner can be trusted to have 4 spades then I agree 3S is correct. Otherwise 3C. I'm not expecting to make game here - opponents have bid 1H-2H and partner will want to prebalance fairly aggressively over that auction, even at red.
3) 3S
4) X (though maybe pass at teams)

ahydra

#11 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 05:59

I would pass first time
After the double my bid is 4 I have a 7 loser hand with 4. I would hope my partner has the same. If he has a big hand he should be making 5 or even 6.

#12 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 06:18

It appears the hcps are about equal between the partnerships.

I'd pass the first round as you did.

I'd be tempted to bid 4 Clubs on the next round, but I'd probably temper that and bid 3 Clubs instead, expecting the ops to bid an aggressive 3 Hearts based on vulnerability. In other words, I'd bid like you did.

I assume my partner will pass and the ops will raise on balance.

Next I'd bid the 4 Spades. Not 3. This is aggressive but it is too likely the auction will die at 3 Spades and we may have game.

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 07:32

View Postnekthen, on 2015-January-29, 05:59, said:

I would pass first time
After the double my bid is 4 I have a 7 loser hand with 4. I would hope my partner has the same. If he has a big hand he should be making 5 or even 6.

Eight losers, no?

ahydra

#14 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 09:42

Pass on the first round. I'd redouble on the second round, but apparently that's not allowed, so 3H seems about right. Not many points but in all the right places.

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-29, 11:25

Obviously pathetic not to invite game

#16 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 06:22

View Postahydra, on 2015-January-29, 07:32, said:

Eight losers, no?

ahydra

2 2 1 2 = 7 losers

#17 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 11:29

Oh sorry I should have mentioned that it was matchpoints.

Here's the hand for anyone interested.

#18 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 11:41

the hog will have comments on North's double in 3... 2... 1... (And East's 4H bid, I'd bet.)

ahydra

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 11:45

View PostAyunuS, on 2015-January-28, 11:46, said:

You are vul, they are not.
Express Free TCR 90 Automated Fun is the only indicator if the skill of the other players you have.
You are South with the following hand:

KJ73
J6
K6
K9642

East opens 1. What do you bid first?

Now assume you passed there. The bidding becomes this:
1 P 2 X
P ?

Now what do you bid?

Now say you bid 3 there, and the bidding becomes

1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P ?

Now what do you bid?

Now say that you went for 3 there. The bidding is now

1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P 3 P P
4 ?

And now what do you bid?

P.S.: Feel free to post here even if you're not a novice/beginner. Some of these are probably kinda hard for a novice/beginner to figure out what is the best choice.

1-I would pass
2-I would bid 3 over take out double.

When pd make a T/O double of hearts, and you hold spades, your intention should be either of
  • Bidding spades at the minimum level to discourage pd unless he has more tales to tell. You may even hold an awful hand.
  • Bidding spades by a jump, to tell your pd that you are better than 2 bid but not have enough to bid game. It does not show 6-7 spades and a very weak hand, even for experts or WC players. I think Ron is confusing this with 1-X-pass-? auction, where you have enough space and luxury to make a simple response, a jump response and a double jump response (to show a long suit and a very weak hand, but not universally agreed) below the game.
  • Bidding game in spades.

I would go with 2nd option and bid 3.

Imo your pd should not have doubled 2. He holds 3 hearts and that means his pd (us) has at most 2 hearts and expect his pd to balance if auction is about to die in 2 when it goes to him. But considering this is B/N forum, I have sympathy to your pd's action. He at least have a resemblance of his bid as oppose to some other partners Nuno keeps us busy with in more advanced forums.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2015-January-30, 15:23

If partner is strong enough to double, I owe him one bid. So I would probably jump to 3S on the second round, where you bid 3C (this shows 9-11, and I prefer the major because the double suggests it).

But there I stop, unless partner says something further. If they bid again, I expect to set them.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users