• 2 Pages +

4 bidding decisions in 1 hand

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-30, 18:58

View Postahydra, on 2015-January-30, 11:41, said:

the hog will have comments on North's double in 3... 2... 1... (And East's 4H bid, I'd bet.)

ahydra

Quite right. The x just made me throw up my breakfast. Yes 4H is also a nausea inducing bid.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-30, 19:07

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-30, 11:45, said:

I think Ron is confusing this with 1-X-pass-? auction, where you have enough space and luxury to make a simple response, a jump response and a double jump response (to show a long suit and a very weak hand, but not universally agreed) below the game.

No, Ron is not confusing it. We played that 3 level bids were transfers. 3H = good long S, 3S = long S but weaker. Obviously I did not post this due to the nature of this forum. However I am surprised that a number of others answering the op's question do not play something similar.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-30, 19:23

View Postthe hog, on 2015-January-30, 19:07, said:

However I am surprised that a number of others answering the op's question do not play something similar.

What surprises me is the number of initial passers. I usually double with this sort of hand (and so do my opponents, the only difference being that their partners never seem to bid diamonds.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-January-30, 21:04

View PostAyunuS, on 2015-January-28, 11:46, said:

You are vul, they are not. Express Free TCR 90 Automated Fun is the only indicator if the skill of the other players you have.
You are South with the following hand: K J 7 3 J 6 K 6 K 9 6 4 2
East opens 1. What do you bid first?
Now assume you passed there. The bidding becomes this:
1 P 2 X
P ?
Now what do you bid?
Now say you bid 3 there, and the bidding becomes
1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P ?
Now what do you bid?
Now say that you went for 3 there. The bidding is now
1 P 2 X
P 3 3 P
P 3 P P
4 ?
And now what do you bid?
P.S.: Feel free to post here even if you're not a novice/beginner. Some of these are probably kinda hard for a novice/beginner to figure out what is the best choice.
IMO...
  • After RHO opens (1): Pass = 10. Double = 8. 2 = 7. 1 = 6.
  • After partner doubles (2): 3 (game interest) = 10. 4 = 9. 3 = 8. 2 = 5.2
  • After LHO bids (3): 4 = 10. 3 = 8.
  • After RHO bids (4): Double (Competitive) = 10. 4 = 8.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-31, 09:15

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-30, 19:23, said:

What surprises me is the number of initial passers. I usually double with this sort of hand (and so do my opponents, the only difference being that their partners never seem to bid diamonds.

I do double too with this shape. It is not the shape that made me pass, I just think those who start double has different view than me about what this hand is worth.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users