BBO Discussion Forums: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 11:06

My link

IMPS, ACBL robot individual

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I'm puzzled as to why it is so difficult to play in an 8-card major suit fit once one has been identified. It is as if the robot sometimes does not "hear" the bidding. In the first instance, only those who rebid their s for a 3rd time played in that suit, although the system notes for that bid don't reflect any improvement in the "strong rebiddable" listed for the jump to 3. Holding 104 and all those soft values a raise to 4 should be automatic. North's 4 bid (unless it's an advance cue bid, which I don't think robots do) should be based on 1-2-5-5 or 1-1-6-5 or a near variant. I believe that the expert who replicated my auction drew the same conclusion.

In the second instance, I'm at a complete loss as to why the robot, with a flat hand, elects to play for 11 tricks rather than 10. It also would have been nice if North had raised my suit when it had the chance, so that I didn't have to make a unilateral decision at the 4-level. There are simply too many hands where you run the risk of defending a low-level partial when you've got a game (at IMPs) because the robot decides to sit out a round of bidding when it could make a helpful bid.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 11:15

On the first one, apparently you're North. I would take 4C as a cuebid for spades (much more valuable than a natural 5-4 here, surely - especially in 2/1 where 3S is meant to show a really good suit). North has a lot of values opposite a jump rebid so is worth more than a signoff in 4S.

If you were actually North, then the questionable bid is 5C - it shows 4+ clubs but he only has 3, and things are getting awfully high to be suggesting Moysian fits...

On the second one, it seems 4H doesn't show hearts (the description just says "strong rebiddable diamonds"). This might be a bug in the bid definition; but on the other hand, a South holding 6-5 might use Michaels, and a South holding 5-4 or 6-4 might double, so perhaps not. (Not sure how GIB plays Michaels.)

ahydra

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 13:25

View Postahydra, on 2015-January-28, 11:15, said:

On the first one, apparently you're North.
Appearances can be deceptive. I suspect that he only became North at the close of the auction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 22:30

On the first hand 5C is shown as a raise of Clubs with 4+ cards. It's reasonable that it chose to play slam in the 4-4 fit with pitches available that would not be if the 6-2 were trump. This one is on you.

On the second hand, bizarrely the 4H bid did not show Hearts! The description is the same as the 3D overcall. I really could not blame you for hoping GIB would read the bid as natural - we all know that it doesn't always have the hand the description indicates. This is a clear bug that should be fixed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users