BBO Discussion Forums: How deep is your love (of the rule of 15)? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How deep is your love (of the rule of 15)? Bundesliga 2015, Match 3

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-30, 19:11

View Postsfi, on 2015-January-26, 01:04, said:

The alternative is to play 2C as clubs or an invitational raise (which is, I believe, Drury's original idea). If you're not a passed hand you can throw balanced FG hands in as well, but I suspect this will be banned anywhere that doesn't allow system innovation.

We do the former. I think the latter is interesting, and I have sometimes wondered about using Drury by an unpassed hand, but there are a lot of hand-types to untangle here. Plus you lose your 2 rebid (I assume) which seems like a high price. I would be interested in knowing if it can be made to work, though.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-30, 22:31

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-30, 19:11, said:

We do the former. I think the latter is interesting, and I have sometimes wondered about using Drury by an unpassed hand, but there are a lot of hand-types to untangle here. Plus you lose your 2 rebid (I assume) which seems like a high price. I would be interested in knowing if it can be made to work, though.

It works very well when your club hands are of at least GF strength (invitational club hands being bid with a direct 3 or via 1NT), but I doubt it would work as well if you wanted to allow weaker club hands (the sort that would bid a 2/1 in simple ACOL).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#23 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-31, 00:15

deleted.

#24 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2015-January-31, 07:14

I play the same thing as you - I've seen the results in this case so I am subconsciously biased, but I regularly pass similar hands 4th in because partner is more likely to have clubs and the points are 10-10-9-11 around the table best case, and if they don't open balanced 11 counts, it could be a lot worse than that (11-7-11 with no good suit, 11). I could lose a heart fit, but thems the breaks.

#25 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-31, 15:21

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-30, 19:11, said:

I think the latter is interesting, and I have sometimes wondered about using Drury by an unpassed hand, but there are a lot of hand-types to untangle here. Plus you lose your 2 rebid (I assume) which seems like a high price. I would be interested in knowing if it can be made to work, though.

I've played a version of this in most of my serious 5 card major partnerships over the past couple of years, including Precision (which we added 2/1 just for this), Polish Club with 2/1, straight 2/1, and Standard American.

The basic idea is that you have 4 possible types of hands:
- Invitational raise of the major (typically rebids 4M over an acceptance or 2M over a rejection)
- Balanced FG (rebids NT; you can allow a 3NT rebid to show a minimum with a doubleton trump, or use the jump for something else)
- Balanced minimum FG with fit (rebids 2M over an acceptance or 4M over a rejection)
- FG with clubs (bids something else, including 3M with 5+ clubs and 3 card support)

Opener then rebids:
- 2D to say "accept game try with nothing special to say" and opener clarifies hand.
- 2H (after 1S opening) to show 5/4, nebulous about whether accepting game try. Inv raise now bids 2S or 4H (with double fit, you want to be in game). Bad balanced FG raise bids 4S.
- 2M rejects game try.

In the standard system, we reversed the 2M and 2D responses and didn't cater for the balanced min with fit (that went into a 3NT response, if I recall). That all worked fine, but I've never worked out whether there was a reason for reversing the bids.

Advantages:
- You can invite and stop at the 2 level. That's a potential 5-6 IMPs every time you do this.
- Responder can easily show strong balanced hands, which is a problem in many systems.
- Responder can show strong (say 16+) balanced hands with a fit with a sequence like 1H-2C, 2D-2NT, 3C-3H. Now you are off to slam in a sensible way.
- Opener can take over and start a slam sequence by bidding above 2M ("I'm interested in slam opposite an invitational raise"). Responder now cooperates in the slam try rather than trying to show their hand.
- You gain a jump to the 3 level, which is typically preemptive, without having to give up other 3-level jump shifts to something like Bergen.

Disadvantages:
- Opener can't bid 2D naturally. The hand often gets to bid 3D naturally (even over 2S), so the real issue is not being able to show shape with the 5/5 hands since the diamond rebid is actually what gets lost.
- It can be susceptible to preemption, but they still need a hand willing to get in the middle of a potentially FG auction.
- The opponents get to double 2C for something.
- You lose preemptive value with your 3 card limit raises.

Overall, in my experience it is a big win. It's increasingly common among Australian players, but I think the ideas came from Europe (Germany maybe?) initially.

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-31, 17:29

It is a 1 opener for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users