BBO Discussion Forums: Don't want to play clubs!!!!!!!!! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Don't want to play clubs!!!!!!!!! How to miss a slam

#21 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-January-29, 00:41

View PostFluffy, on 2015-January-26, 09:27, said:

Just your everyday's minorwood disaster...

There's not much wrong with the methods, the issue is with the players. These methods are clearly too complicated for this pair and they would've done better with standard methods. When they're on the same wavelength this disaster wouldn't occur, whatever method they're playing. But for some reason one plays minorwood while the other one plays optional...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#22 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 02:43

Thanks all for replying. What I learned
1) There is a convention called "bedingte Asfrage" that I did not know before
2) When not 100 % sure if p has 0 or 3 KC I better ask instead of guessing as long as possible

View PostFree, on 2015-January-29, 00:41, said:

There's not much wrong with the methods, the issue is with the players. These methods are clearly too complicated for this pair and they would've done better with standard methods. When they're on the same wavelength this disaster wouldn't occur, whatever method they're playing. But for some reason one plays minorwood while the other one plays optional...
Will you give up any convention when you misbid once? Do you argue the same way after misbidding Ghestem or any other convention? My p and I play the same convention but in this special board she just panicked having a void. I don't remember misbidding Minorwood with her before and we are playing it since a couple of years though we are obviously playing it different to what has been discussed in this forum and of course it could still be improved.

Due to a combination of external circumstances we are short in playing practice over the last two years which is the main reason for this accident. Unless the circumstances will change we will certainly not increase the complexity in our system as complexity needs exercise.

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-29, 04:01

You did not learn to discuss the difference between a direct 4m and bidding it after a cue + 3NT? :blink: Surely that was the #1 lesson of the hand...
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#24 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-29, 05:33

We have some situations where 4 or 4 should be understood as RKCB and others where it is initiating a cue bidding sequence. That works very well without opponents interfering. Sorry we are not so sophisticated in our agreements to have follow ups for each possible situation with opponents interfering. But we have quite clear rules when a 4m bid is RKCB. One of them is whenever 3NT was bid to play and the partner bids 4m this is RKCB on basis of that minor and not a cue. Maybe that is a bad rule I don't know but that is the agreement we have. I wouldn't play that in a pickup partnership undiscussed.

I did not need any cues from her after she bid 3NT and promised a stopper. But I needed that info to have a safe rescue in 4NT if she had only one ace. So all I wanted to know after 3NT was the number of aces.

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-January-31, 01:16

View Postscarletv, on 2015-January-29, 02:43, said:

Will you give up any convention when you misbid once? Do you argue the same way after misbidding Ghestem or any other convention? My p and I play the same convention but in this special board she just panicked having a void. I don't remember misbidding Minorwood with her before and we are playing it since a couple of years though we are obviously playing it different to what has been discussed in this forum and of course it could still be improved.

Due to a combination of external circumstances we are short in playing practice over the last two years which is the main reason for this accident. Unless the circumstances will change we will certainly not increase the complexity in our system as complexity needs exercise.

You feel offended, but with your last paragraph you basically confirm what I said. Note that I didn't say you guys are too stupid or gave any reason why, but you actually did. You're short in playing practice which apparently makes this convention too difficult. So imo there are several solutions to avoid similar disasters: either you play more together, or you ditch complicated parts of the system. There's no shame in that.

I have a really good partner with whom I play just a couple of times a year. We play strong but a very simple version of it. It's definitely not optimal (wrongsiding for example), but we don't have bidding mistakes. Many times we discussed if our 1 structure should be updated, but we always come to the conclusion that it would just cause more problems than it would solve. Does it make us a better pair playing less-optimal methods? Looking at our results (some wins, some podiums) I'd say definitely!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users