BBO Discussion Forums: No field protection? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No field protection? Why did my bot opponents bid differently?

#1 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-24, 19:41

Twice tonight during an IMP Instant tournament I found the bots I played against deviated from the rest of the field in an otherwise identical auction. One hand the East bot held:

AKQ1097
J75

At every table the player opened 1, double by West, pass by North. At this point East bids 2, after which if South sensibly passes the auction ends and the bots score +170 or +200.

Except at my table. At my table East bid 2, after which West bid 2NT and East jumped to the cold 4, resulting in a completely out-of-my-control 6.6 IMPs loss for me.

Admittedly it's a close decision, and if GIB had decided half the time to go one way and half to go another, then I'd chalk it up as rub of the green. But being the only player to get this opposition bidding seems wrong.

On the second hand again the East bot was the deviator.

At tables where South (in fourth seat) opened 1, West doubled, North redoubled, and East bid 2. Except at my table, where the bot chose for some reason to bid 2. Commonly, over 2 South bid 3, ending the auction and scoring +130. But having less reason to step in front of a potential penalty double of 2, I passed, and North reopened with 3, over which East now pressed on with 3.

This story had a happier ending for me. I chose, perhaps dubiously, to compete with 4, and North, most definitely dubiously, carried on to 5. But hold on! West led a trump and I pulled a second round, then led a spade up. West bot, never suspecting his partner held five spades, ducked, and I chalked up +600.

So, overall a gain for me, but still a concern, that the bots are clearly playing differently against me than against the field I am scoring against. Is this a bug or a feature?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-24, 20:02

"At this point East bids 2♠"
I m not sure I am reading this correctly. Are you suggestion E should bid 2S? If this is what you meant you are kidding, right?

On the second hand you opened 1C in 4th seat with this hand and a stiff S? I would have passed out he hand.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-24, 20:36

This is the way the instant tournaments work. You play against the current version of GIB, but the human players you are competing against played in the past against an earlier version. So yes, it is common that they bid differently against you than they did against your competitors.

And as you have already seen, this can help you or hurt you.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 04:22

View Postkjpod, on 2015-January-24, 19:41, said:

Admittedly it's a close decision,

no it's not. east has a game force on the first hand.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 10:57

View Postiandayre, on 2015-January-24, 20:36, said:

This is the way the instant tournaments work. You play against the current version of GIB, but the human players you are competing against played in the past against an earlier version. So yes, it is common that they bid differently against you than they did against your competitors.

And as you have already seen, this can help you or hurt you.
One possibly interesting/helpful analysis might be to determine whether the newer GIBs played better or worse than the older GIBs.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-25, 11:10

On this board, it certainly appears that GIB's bidding has improved.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-25, 11:14

View Postthe hog, on 2015-January-24, 20:02, said:

On the second hand you opened 1C in 4th seat with this hand and a stiff S? I would have passed out he hand.
If I had been sitting North, it wouldn't have gone three passes to you.

#8 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 14:54

View Postthe hog, on 2015-January-24, 20:02, said:

"At this point East bids 2♠"
I m not sure I am reading this correctly. Are you suggestion E should bid 2S?

No, I am saying that is what the bot, the older version apparently, actually did. It would not be my choice either, but it is better than 2H.

I'm as big a fan of passing as anyone, and I'm aware of the Rule of 15, but that seems to take the rule too far. Too much offensive potential in the hand.

#9 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 14:55

View Postiandayre, on 2015-January-24, 20:36, said:

This is the way the instant tournaments work.

Thanks for the clarification.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-January-25, 15:15

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-25, 11:10, said:

On this board, it certainly appears that GIB's bidding has improved.

what would be the difference between an immediate 4S by East contrasted with via 2D?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-25, 16:13

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-January-25, 15:15, said:

what would be the difference between an immediate 4S by East contrasted with via 2D?
Dunno. Maybe East doesn't want to handcuff partner if his intention was to double-and-correct to clubs. Barring that, it's certainly possible that 4 is best, but 2 is an improvement over 2 if that bid is not forcing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users