• You cannot reply to this topic

Heads you win

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 16:51

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

Is it unreasonable to expect the robot to do something a little bit more well-thought-out than to jump to 4 over West's suicidal 3 bid? My North had a lot more information than those North's whose partner bid 3 instead of 2NT in this auction, yet we ended up in the same lousy contract. Shouldn't the robot's often-cited simming have pointed to the danger of ruffs by East? West gave North a fielder's choice of 3 sensible actions (pass, double or 3NT) and North, looking at a 4-3-3-3 rock-bottom minimum chose the only action that virtually guarantees a minus score. The only way the robot will let you survive this hand is if you pass North's free raise, which covers a 6-10 range, vulnerable at IMPs. Those who guessed to do so were rewarded with a substantial gain.

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 19:14

Can't argue with you there. I can't begin to imagine how N could justify a 4H call.

As a matter of presentation, the concept of "free" raises, as if they had a higher range than non-free raises, went out well before 8-Track tapes.

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 21:26

The system notes use the term "free major raise" to describe North's bid, which would lead one to think that North would have more in distribution if it were at the bottom end in high cards. I'm guessing this a hand that North would bid 1NT with rather than raise directly if there were no competition, so by no means what I would have considered a "free raise" even 30 years ago.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users