• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21.24% wins ACBL Masterpoints

#1 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 12:27

This might be a record, or at least that I have seen.

I just finished a 12-board MP ACBL Robo-dup.
29 People started, so I guess it was stratified 9/10/10 which means top 4 in C pays master points.

I finished 3A/1B/1C, with the large field this awards .90 to 1st B as well as 1st A.

Here is the amazing thing.
Eight people quit, of those 6 must have been C's since all 4 C players that did not quit won master points, including the player that finished last OA with a 21.24%! :)

Link

#2 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 13:36

The scoring system used is absolutely ridiculous - an abomination!
0.17 points for 21.24%?!?!? When those who came 13th and 14th with more than double the score got nothing and 5th place with 57.9% only had marginally more points with 0.18 points.
A stratified game may benefit the novices by initially assuming that they are not expected to beat the experts, but still allows them to reap the master-point rewards if they accidentally do, but they randomise the results of a tourney by who they gift ridiculous tops too! Stratification should be banned for being a money, master-point and ego raising exercise and because of the randomisation effect it has on the top places. Stick to flighted tourneys or at least see how many novices would play if the scoring was simply the higher you place percentage wise the more you get and whatever amount of points and gradation of those points down the list - but only to the top third of the field, as why reward mediocrity?!

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-23, 13:46

View Postdave251164, on 2015-January-23, 13:36, said:

The scoring system used is absolutely ridiculous - an abomination!
0.17 points for 21.24%?!?!? When those who came 13th and 14th with more than double the score got nothing and 5th place with 57.9% only had marginally more points with 0.18 points.
A stratified game may benefit the novices by initially assuming that they are not expected to beat the experts, but still allows them to reap the master-point rewards if they accidentally do, but they randomise the results of a tourney by who they gift ridiculous tops too! Stratification should be banned for being a money, master-point and ego raising exercise and because of the randomisation effect it has on the top places. Stick to flighted tourneys or at least see how many novices would play if the scoring was simply the higher you place percentage wise the more you get and whatever amount of points and gradation of those points down the list - but only to the top third of the field, as why reward mediocrity?!

I would not refer to 21.24% as mediocrity. It is extremely difficult to score that low over 12 boards. That takes special talent.

#4 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 13:49

The 21.24% getting points is an anomaly from 6 of 10 C players dropping out. While there are valid reasons not to like masterpoints, this is just one to enjoy an innocent chuckle at.

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-January-23, 14:36

So, nobody had noticed that ranking systems in bridge usually award participation instead of performance?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 15:12

Some of this strangeness would be reduced if ACBL treated online games more similarly to f2f games (tournaments and/or clubs) and suspended people who left prematurely. Maybe allow a little leeway for connectivity issues, but make it clear that failing to finish is unacceptable behavior.

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2015-January-23, 15:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-23, 15:12, said:

Some of this strangeness would be reduced if ACBL treated online games more similarly to f2f games (tournaments and/or clubs) and suspended people who left prematurely. Maybe allow a little leeway for connectivity issues, but make it clear that failing to finish is unacceptable behavior.

There are many reasons why players drop out of BBO games that do not merit any punishment. Loss of internet is the most common reason. Lately, I have played some games late at night, and I wake up to find that I fell asleep in the middle of the game. Despite what some of my partners may think, I have never fallen asleep in the middle of a live game.

And who knows what real life issues may arise while someone is participating in an online game.

Besides everything else, no one is really harmed if someone drops out of a robot game. It doesn't upset the movement. All that really happens is that the player who dropped out is ineligible for any masterpoint award, and is considered to finish behind all those who do play all of the boards. Is that so bad?

A few times I fell asleep in the middle of a pair game on BBO. That does annoy people, but mostly my partner, who then has to put up with a substitute.

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 16:24

Art...it's not quite so innocent as that. Someone who drops can immediately start a new tourney. If money wasn't a factor someone could just play, say, the first 3 boards, and if not averaging at least 75% just drop.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-23, 16:42

View PostArtK78, on 2015-January-23, 15:39, said:

There are many reasons why players drop out of BBO games that do not merit any punishment. Loss of internet is the most common reason. Lately, I have played some games late at night, and I wake up to find that I fell asleep in the middle of the game.

I've done that, too. It's especially easy when playing on a tablet while leaning back on the reclining chair.

I remember when I was a novice and playing at one of my first nationals (almost 20 years ago). I played in a stratified side game and got some points in strat C for a 38% game. Not as extreme as this 21% game, but I did feel kind of embarassed getting points while being so far below average.

#10 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-24, 02:56

A simple change would be to not award masterpoints for a score of 50% or less

#11 User is offline   mediesel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-24, 03:34

I believe it is illegal to drop out of an ACBL session and enter another ACBL event before that first session ends. If so, BBO SOFTWARE SHOULD ENFORCE.

#12 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-24, 04:29

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-23, 15:12, said:

There is also some strangeness in the fact that BBO optimizes the strats to have the optimal number in each strat to maximize the MP. Rather than the more common fixed strats (everyone with less than 750 is C, everyone with 750-2000 is B, 2000+ is A or whatever). Some club directors do that same sort of thing, but it isn't as common or as efficiently done as BBO does.

#13 User is offline   bobcandoit 

• Pip
  • Interests:bridge, golf, genealogy

Posted 2015-January-24, 09:57

Let's face it, "points" are the addictive product of the ACBL, and one of the goals is to give them out to get people at all skill levels to play, and hence pay more. But in the case cited you can make a math argument for 29% being a good result in that particular field. Grab a glass of wine. The field started as 9/10/10 and we can assume it ended as 8/9/4. Now I'm sure the 9 A players all thought the should have won. A 62% game usually wins, so let's assume that is their average. That means the 8 players would contribute 23.6% to the overall 50% average of the entire field. - 8 / 21 x 62%. The 9 B players would all assume they are better then average, so let's say they expected a 55% game - their contribution to the overall would be 9 / 21 x 55% or also 23.6% - just a coincidence. That totals 47.2% and leaves 2.8% for the 4 lowly C strata players. Solve the equation 4 / 21 x ? = 2.8%?suggests in this elite field they could aspire to a 14.7% game on average. It looks like all 4 C strata players exceeded expectations, so why shouldn't they all earn points? QED

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-24, 11:16

View Postbobcandoit, on 2015-January-24, 09:57, said:

Let's face it, "points" are the addictive product of the ACBL, and one of the goals is to give them out to get people at all skill levels to play, and hence pay more. But in the case cited you can make a math argument for 29% being a good result in that particular field. Grab a glass of wine. The field started as 9/10/10 and we can assume it ended as 8/9/4. Now I'm sure the 9 A players all thought the should have won. A 62% game usually wins, so let's assume that is their average. That means the 8 players would contribute 23.6% to the overall 50% average of the entire field. - 8 / 21 x 62%. The 9 B players would all assume they are better then average, so let's say they expected a 55% game - their contribution to the overall would be 9 / 21 x 55% or also 23.6% - just a coincidence. That totals 47.2% and leaves 2.8% for the 4 lowly C strata players. Solve the equation 4 / 21 x ? = 2.8%?suggests in this elite field they could aspire to a 14.7% game on average. It looks like all 4 C strata players exceeded expectations, so why shouldn't they all earn points? QED
Your assumptions are so bad that it's absurd.

Take the field you started with: 9/10/10. The worst that the 10 C pairs can do it to never beat or even tie any of the A/B pairs on any of the boards. (Yes, this is virtually impossible, but it's the absolutely worst-case scenario.) In this case, the Flt C players would average 4.5 matchpoints out of 28 available per board, for an average score of 16%. So, even this absurd presumption leads to a score higher than the one you managed to calculate. And we all know that some Flt C players do beat some Flt B players (and even some Flt A) because flights are based on masterpoints, not actual skill level. (In the posted example, the third best Flt C player finished 9th overall, and the median of the 9 Flt A players who finished was 53.80%.) Maybe you've already had too much wine.

#15 User is offline   soupyd 

• Pip

Posted 2015-January-24, 11:38

acbl life master status a joke and only a carrot dangled to keep the masses paying and chasing. <_< <_<

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2015-January-24, 13:34

View PostTylerE, on 2015-January-23, 16:24, said:

Art...it's not quite so innocent as that. Someone who drops can immediately start a new tourney. If money wasn't a factor someone could just play, say, the first 3 boards, and if not averaging at least 75% just drop.

The software allows one to withdraw from a tourney. And one can, in fact, immediately start a new tourney. However, there is a limit of 2 tourneys per hour. So withdrawing from one tourney isn't done solely for that reason, as you can finish a tourney and start another one and still be within the one hour limitation. I have often played two tourneys to completion and tried to enter a third only to be told that I could not do so.

If the tournament organizers felt that withdrawing from a tourney and joining a new one was improper, it is an easy matter to fix. But clearly there is no problem with that.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-24, 19:00

Are online masterpoints worth the same as regular ones?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-24, 21:34

View PostMbodell, on 2015-January-24, 04:29, said:

There is also some strangeness in the fact that BBO optimizes the strats to have the optimal number in each strat to maximize the MP.

We do the same thing in our f2f club. If we used fixed strats, we would often have almost everyone in A and C, with hardly anyone in B.

Fixed strats are normal in tournaments, but I'll bet lots of clubs are like ours. And what BBO calls "tourmanents" are actually considered club games.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-24, 21:37

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-24, 19:00, said:

Are online masterpoints worth the same as regular ones?

Yes, but they have no color. So they don't count towards the requirement of a certain number of points of each color to become a Life Master.

Until a couple of years ago there was also a restriction that only 1/3 of the points used to reach each masterpoint milestone could be won online. But they got rid of that rule.

Also, online games don't award as many masterpoints as similar-sized f2f club games. Our games are only 12 boards, and to award the full number of masterpoints we would have to have at least 18 boards.

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-05, 01:49

No-one is going to get rich scoring 21% on a regular basis. If some freak of circumstances allows the occasional 21% to get a princely 0.07 master points, no harm done I say. At least, not sufficient (of itself) to call the system so broken as to require redesign.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users