Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing free bids How to play them?

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 08:01

I realize that this question may seem dumb, but I'm curious about how to play forcing free bids. Where I play almost everybody (including me) play negative free bids and thus I've only been in partnerships with negative free bids in action. Let's take this auction:

1--(1)--?

The most common agreements where I play is:

1 = Natural and forcing, although some play it as non-forcing
1NT = Natural, non-forcing
2 = Natural, about 8--11 hcp, non-forcing
2 = I play it as INV+ with diamond support, some play it as stopper ask
3 = I play it as game forcing with long clubs, some play it as weak
Double = Negative. Usually spades and clubs but may be GF values with clubs not good enough for 3. Some play it as negative or any GF.

People usually play negative free bids at the two-level after double too (I like transfer advances).

So, if playing forcing free bids, I understand that bidding a new suit at the two-level is forcing with about 10+ hcp? How does opener show extras, how does he bid with a minimum, how does responder show extras? What does a negative double followed by a new suit mean?

Let's say the bidding starts like this:

1-(2)-2-(Pass)

How many hearts has responder promised? I guess 5+? What does opener rebid with say 5-2-3-3 distribution? If you're playing four card majors (or if we opened 1 instead), what does opender rebid with 4-2-4-3? Now let's say opener has extras, is the cue bid or a jump the only way to force? If opener raises, are all bids by responder forcing? Let's say:

1-(2)-2-(Pass);
3-(Pass)-3

I assume opener has shown a minimum hand, does he promise 3+ hearts? Is responder's 3 forcing?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in what treatments people use here.

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 13:52

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-January-23, 08:01, said:

So, if playing forcing free bids, I understand that bidding a new suit at the two-level is forcing with about 10+ hcp? How does opener show extras, how does he bid with a minimum, how does responder show extras? What does a negative double followed by a new suit mean?

Opener shows extras by jumping, cue-bidding, or reversing, which should all be GF. New suit by opener should be played as F1 IMO.

Minimum opener can rebid opening suit, cheapest NT, single raise responder's suit, all of which NF (most common agreement is free bid does not promise a rebid).

Let's say the bidding starts like this:

1-(2)-2-(Pass)

How many hearts has responder promised? I guess 5+? What does opener rebid with say 5-2-3-3 distribution? If you're playing four card majors (or if we opened 1 instead), what does opender rebid with 4-2-4-3? Now let's say opener has extras, is the cue bid or a jump the only way to force?

5+ H, 2nt/2S/3nt/3c depending on overall strength and club stopper situation. If you opened 1d on 4243 presumably you could try 2 if unsuited to 2nt. If you opened 1 I suppose you'd probably try 2nt even without a club stopper, though you might try 3 with honor doubleton.

If opener raises, are all bids by responder forcing? Let's say:

Should be IMO.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-23, 15:06

One easy solution is to play that a non-jump 2/1 new suit by an unpassed hand promises another call if opener rebids below game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-23, 15:13

This is analogous to the question "I only play 2/1 GF, how on earth does Standard American / SEF / whatever work?"

1-(2)-2 is much like the Standard auction 1-2. You can play it as promising a rebid, forcing to 2NT or forcing to 2 of opener's major.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 17:57

Actually I do only play 2/1 as GF (except when responder rebids the suit, in some partnerships) and am note quite sure how other methods work (even though I have a good idea). There seems to be a big difference here though in that responder also has a double and a cue bid available after interference. On the flipside responder's negative NT is gone (unless you play 1NT after interference as not promising a stopper), so that's another factor.

1D-(2C)-2S-(P);

Is opener ever allowed to rebid 3H here? If so, I guess it must be GF and something like 6-4?

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-23, 18:57

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-January-23, 17:57, said:

Actually I do only play 2/1 as GF (except when responder rebids the suit, in some partnerships) and am note quite sure how other methods work (even though I have a good idea). There seems to be a big difference here though in that responder also has a double and a cue bid available after interference. On the flipside responder's negative NT is gone (unless you play 1NT after interference as not promising a stopper), so that's another factor.

1D-(2C)-2S-(P);

Is opener ever allowed to rebid 3H here? If so, I guess it must be GF and something like 6-4?

More often 5=6. With moderate to minimum 4=6 hands he rebids 3d, and waits for you to bid hearts if you have them. Note that on this auction, with a 2/1 overcall, the chances of his having full reversing values on a 4 card suit are modest at best.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-23, 18:59

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-January-23, 17:57, said:

1D-(2C)-2S-(P);

Sure. Generally speaking I would expect almost the same values as if he bid 2 over a 1 response, though it's playable for it to be a bit weaker. Don't see why you would exclude 5-4 hands.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users