BBO Discussion Forums: Do you take the push? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you take the push?

Poll: Do you take the push? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid?

1. pass (3 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. 3S (11 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-23, 05:08

MP, national sim.

V vs NV

AKJ9

RHO you LHO pard
1 pass 1NT 2
3 ..??

Do you take the push? Yes/no/why.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-23, 06:26

The reasons to bid are that it makes it harder for them to bid 3NT when it is right; to push them to an uncomfortable level; and becuase we might make something ourselves. The reason not to is that we do not trust partner to have their red 2 level overcall. Once you get to this point it is a short road to the logical conclusion.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-28, 05:46

Well, this time pard had a rather unsuitable

AQ532
K2
J643

3 goes 2-3 down on normal defense. Would you have overcalled?

#4 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 06:19

I don't think partner should have overcalled. Needs another spade or another K, or at very least switch the minors. As is he knows you passed when likely short in diamonds, had either major or double available, and have a minimum of 4 hearts, probably 5, for opponents auction. That suggests a minimum and/or misfitting partner. Partner is also on lead against NT, the opponents most likely possible game, so a little less need to get a lead direct in.

Still, bidding can win and can find a fit in a part score battle. But partner was light, caught an unsuitable but good enough to bid partner, and on a good day can still make, down one seems likely as does down two. That suggests bidding 3 is clear, imagine if partner had full values for their 2 call.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 09:44

2s is gross

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-28, 15:05

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-28, 05:46, said:

AQ532
K2
J643

Why do you keep doing this to us, Nuno?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-28, 15:54

Timo's point is (I think)that Nuno continually posts problems of which many fall into one or both of two categories.

There are the problems in which the systemic constraints are awful, whether it be because the stipulated precise agreement is silly or, more often, that the sequence is at best loosely defined.

Then there are the problems, which may contain some of the former elements, in which we learn, some time after the OP, that partner has done something idiotic, which deprives the OP of any interest it may have had.

This is such a problem. I don't know of any halfway competent player who would bid 2 red v white over the 1N response to the 1 opening.

I don't know of any halfway competent player who would not raise such an overcall to 3 with the OP hand...the reason doing so was bad had nothing to do with the correctness of the call but, rather, the complete inanity of the 2 overcall.

I just don't understand the point of these posts, unless it is somehow to allow Nuno to point his partners to the forum so that they have it rubbed into them just how bad they are.

Meanwhile, Nuno, if you are an expert, why is it that your partners are so bad? In my experience, unless one is playing pro, one usually ends up playing on a regular basis with partners who are at least close to one's own abilities. Even if they don't start that way, they usually learn something from playing with an expert.

If you are playing with a very weak partner, exposing him or her to ridicule (even unnamed) is no way to deal with it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-28, 19:03

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-28, 05:46, said:

AQ532
K2
J643

No. And not close. But I don't like 3 too much either. The OPPs cannot possibly know where they are at. The worst thing that could have happened to partner's overcall (X) didn't. The second worst thing (PASS) didn't either. I feel like we are winning already.

When you (or Partner) have done something stupid and gotten away with it, let the OPPs do the next stupid thing.

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-28, 19:51

View Postmikeh, on 2015-January-28, 15:54, said:

Nuno, if you are an expert, why is it that your partners are so bad?

There are no good players where I live. It is as simple as that. Even the better ones are too unstable psychologically to be reliable.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-28, 19:57

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-28, 15:05, said:

Why do you keep doing this to us, Nuno?

I bother to put problems because these fora are dead. I suppose I might as well stop spanking a dead horse.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users