BBO Discussion Forums: Claim Interruptus - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim Interruptus General

#1 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2015-January-23, 00:01

South claimed, "I overtake the club - no, I mean - " and before he could finish correcting his words, East called the Director and demanded that he plays according to the line of play he just mentioned.

Which law or laws apply here?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-23, 02:41

View PostXiaolongnu, on 2015-January-23, 00:01, said:

South claimed, "I overtake the club - no, I mean - " and before he could finish correcting his words, East called the Director and demanded that he plays according to the line of play he just mentioned.

Which law or laws apply here?

Law 68 said:

For a statement or action to constitute a claim or concession of tricks under these Laws, it must refer to tricks other than one currently in progress*.
[...]
* If the statement or action pertains only to the winning or losing of an uncompleted trick currently in progress, play proceeds regularly; [...]

If South referred to the trick currently in progress then no claim has so far been made.

If South referred to a future trick then he may be bound by his statement ("overtaking a Club") if this constitutes a legal play, but he must be allowed to complete his statement.

#3 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 07:44

I'm not sure I can cite a law or regulation to support this, but it came up in a discussion on handling claims at the EBU panel directors' training a few weeks ago. The consensus was that so long as the claimer realises the claim needs rethinking before they've finished articulating it, and that their realisation wasn't influenced by another player, they should be allowed time to compose themselves and have another go.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 07:51

Agree with Vix. Further, I would say that opponent's rudeness is a violation of the proprieties and should draw a PP, especially where a zero tolerance or "best behaviour at bridge" regulation is in effect.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-January-23, 07:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-January-23, 07:51, said:

Agree with Vix. Further, I would say that opponent's rudeness is a violation of the proprieties and should draw a PP, especially where a zero tolerance or "best behaviour at bridge" regulation is in effect.
The defender was right to call the director if he wanted to dispute the claim; although the director might well deny the defender's demand and allow declarer to change his mind.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-23, 07:58

View Postnige1, on 2015-January-23, 07:57, said:

The defender was right to call the director if he wanted to dispute the claim; although the director might well deny the defender's demand and allow declarer to change his mind.

He was not right to interrupt the claim statement.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-23, 12:19

View Postnige1, on 2015-January-23, 07:57, said:

Declarer hasn't yet finished the statement of the claim, there's nothing to dispute.

There might be an issue if declarer started changing his statement in response to an opponent interrupting him with something like "but what if...". But I don't think there's anything in the Laws that actually addresses this.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-23, 13:11

I think this brings the number of procedural penalties in the BBO Forums to 9,743, while in real life in all tournaments played worldwide, the number is probably about 26.

#9 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-23, 14:27

DP not PP surely?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-23, 15:05

View PostRMB1, on 2015-January-23, 14:27, said:

DP not PP surely?

Yes.
--------------------

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-January-23, 19:36

View PostArtK78, on 2015-January-23, 13:11, said:

I think this brings the number of procedural penalties in the BBO Forums to 9,743, while in real life in all tournaments played worldwide, the number is probably about 26.

DP not PP surely?

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-January-23, 15:05, said:

Yes.
DPs are even rarer :( Two senior directors, whom I asked, replied that they had never issued a DP :)

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-23, 22:57

View Postnige1, on 2015-January-23, 19:36, said:

DPs are even rarer :( Two senior directors, whom I asked, replied that they had never issued a DP :)

DPs should be rare — but neither should be as rare as they are, IMO.
--------------------

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-January-26, 18:20

View Postpran, on 2015-January-23, 02:41, said:

If South referred to a future trick then he may be bound by his statement ("overtaking a Club") if this constitutes a legal play, but he must be allowed to complete his statement.

View PostVixTD, on 2015-January-23, 07:44, said:

I'm not sure I can cite a law or regulation to support this, but it came up in a discussion on handling claims at the EBU panel directors' training a few weeks ago. The consensus was that so long as the claimer realises the claim needs rethinking before they've finished articulating it, and that their realisation wasn't influenced by another player, they should be allowed time to compose themselves and have another go.

DP not PP surely?
If E thought that S broke the law by trying to correct his claim statement, then E was right to call the director.

IMO, to call the director should not be considered as rudeness to opponents.

About half all the times that a director is called, he rules that there has been no infraction or no damage. Should the director issue a DP for every such occurrence?

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-26, 23:59

The rudeness was not in calling the director, it was in interrupting the claim statement.
--------------------

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users