Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing or not forcing question

#1 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-21, 15:15

What is the right bid for North to make here?

Thank you very much.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-21, 16:21

I don't think 3 is forcing. 4 for me. There is not guarantee that partner has spades but then he can convert to clubs.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-January-21, 17:01

You can agree for 3 to be forcing, but it is not in standard so you have to bid 4.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-January-21, 18:31

4. Partner should have spades here or maybe club support /hearts.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-21, 18:39

One makes a one suited negative double, showing two suits, only when one can handle partner getting excited in the other suit promised.

When he doubled, he should have had in mind that your hand might call for a jump to 4, regardless of that your RHO did. So he either has spades or he can handle a 5 level contract, inferentially clubs.

Since you have a very good hand for spades, even allowing for the dubious nature of the red suits, I think you have to bid 4.

I suspect you'll often end up regretting it, since the defence has telegraphed a heart lead, and it may go heart to the Ace and back a diamond. However, even then you need as little as KQxx in spades to have a play for the game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 23:06

View Postmikeh, on 2015-January-21, 18:39, said:

One makes a one suited negative double, showing two suits, only when one can handle partner getting excited in the other suit promised.

When he doubled, he should have had in mind that your hand might call for a jump to 4, regardless of that your RHO did. So he either has spades or he can handle a 5 level contract, inferentially clubs.

Since you have a very good hand for spades, even allowing for the dubious nature of the red suits, I think you have to bid 4.

I suspect you'll often end up regretting it, since the defence has telegraphed a heart lead, and it may go heart to the Ace and back a diamond. However, even then you need as little as KQxx in spades to have a play for the game.

I am gonna go out on a wild limb here and guess the passed hand 3h bidder has a diamond fit so I'm not too worried about that possible plan if defense. Maybe they somehow only have 9 diamonds if they are 6-3 and insane but it doesn't seem too likely.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-January-22, 01:52

Is there a case for pass being forcing? Rho made a lead directing bid based on a diamond fit. Doesn't sound like 3 is the par contract
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-22, 05:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-22, 01:52, said:

Is there a case for pass being forcing? Rho made a lead directing bid based on a diamond fit. Doesn't sound like3 is the par contract

There's a pretty decent case for it - LHO has preempted opposite a passed hand and partner has doubled at the three level.

However, I don't care for it myself. The preempt can be extremely heavy here, and partner may have stretched.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-22, 10:56

How do you all play a double here? What would it be if we doubled and bid 4 next time around?
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-January-22, 14:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-22, 10:56, said:

How do you all play a double here? What would it be if we doubled and bid 4 next time around?

On this particular auction I play double as penalties (and I play a lot of take-out doubles).

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-23, 03:13

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-January-22, 14:48, said:

On this particular auction I play double as penalties (and I play a lot of take-out doubles).

So X then bidding 4 if partner removed (to 4, say) could be 4=4=1=4? Or would a hand with 4 spades always bid them (or cue) making it something like 3=4=1=5? Or something else entirely?

Does everyone else play penalty doubles here? As well as the takeout mentioned by Frances, I was also wondering about the possibility of a Thrump-style double, although straube seems to have left us and I think he was the only BBFer using them.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-23, 03:15

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-22, 01:52, said:

Is there a case for pass being forcing? Rho made a lead directing bid based on a diamond fit. Doesn't sound like 3 is the par contract

I don't think so. Plus, defining forcing passes in situations like this is gonna give you so much of a headache you'll lose focus :)

Because the pree might have been "heavy", in theory there is no reason to believe opening side has the balance of cards - in theory.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-January-23, 03:53

I also play double as penalty, same position as 1-X-1-X or 3-X-3-X

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users