Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best slam at matchpoints?

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-20, 19:53

After South's 6, why can't North count 1 + 5 + 2 + 5 = 13 tricks in NT? There's even a small chance that 7 could go down on an opening club ruff.

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-20, 20:10

Right of course. This is the 3rd hand like this I remember in the past month. There is a problem with the King Ask, often it asks, finds the King that guarantees 13 top tricks, and signs off in something other than 7NT. At least you're in 7, the other two stopped in 6NT.

#3 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-21, 00:22

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-20, 19:53, said:

After South's 6, why can't North count 1 + 5 + 2 + 5 = 13 tricks in NT? There's even a small chance that 7 could go down on an opening club ruff.

It happened to me tonight. 7 Diamonds, down one when the opening lead is ruffed (from a 7-card unbid suit). 7NT was a rock.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 07:28

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-January-21, 00:22, said:

It happened to me tonight. 7 Diamonds, down one when the opening lead is ruffed (from a 7-card unbid suit). 7NT was a rock.

I think that this was your hand:
http://www.bridgebas...9045-1421812801

7C, not 7D, but the principle is the thing. South has shown 5 key cards. Neither North nor South can be sure that the Clubs are running, but since you need them to run in 7C, and you are in 7C, you might as well make the same assumption for the purpose of converting to 7N. It is not as if you are going to develop extra tricks by ruffs.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users