• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why is it called an endplay?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-19, 23:26

This is sort of Bridge content but too frivolous for GBD I think.
So, I get the name throw-in, but people a lot more commonly use "endplay" - even when it's to say something like "looks like he's endplayed on opening lead" meaning each opening lead will be away from an honor, so it clearly has nothing to do with being near the end of the hand.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-19, 23:40

Antrax, on 2015-January-19, 23:26, said:

This is sort of Bridge content but too frivolous for GBD I think.
So, I get the name throw-in, but people a lot more commonly use "endplay" - even when it's to say something like "looks like he's endplayed on opening lead" meaning each opening lead will be away from an honor, so it clearly has nothing to do with being near the end of the hand.

My belief is that the use of the word endplay stems from the fact that most of these positions arise towards the end of the hand. Yes, we do talk about people being 'end played' earlier, but that is unusual, which indeed is why it is remarked upon: a position that would normally be expected to arise late in the play has arisen earlier.

It is a useful catchall term that encompasses a range of positions, which would otherwise need to be specified more precisely, and with more verbiage.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-January-20, 00:46

You stick it to em, right in the end.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-20, 15:43

Maybe in order to understand endplay, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "endp" and "lay." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is endplay.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-January-20, 15:51

You may (anything is possible!) find Clyde Love's comments on page 84 of Bridge Squeezes Complete relevant. Love tells us that "Sharp distinction should be drawn between the terms "end play" and "endplay". He draws an analogy with the terms "wild cat" and "wildcat". In his view, "end play" refers to the last few tricks, whether or not an "endplay" is involved.

And yes, I once owned a somewhat wild cat but I have never owned a wildcat.

I trust we will all keep this thoroughly in mind as we discuss the game.
Ken

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-20, 22:54

Why is it called bridge?????
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-21, 00:20

PhantomSac, on 2015-January-20, 22:54, said:

Why is it called bridge?????

Allegedly a British corruption of a Russian word for a card game that resembled whist:). That's what happens when you ask a question on the internet: some geek somewhere has an answer!

I think the Russian game was called biritch or Russian whist, then mispronounced as bridge

See The Bridge Players Companion, published in 1955

Hellespont on Bridge, of which I have a 1904 edition, says that bridge had only become popular in England in the last 10 years, and that it had spread from Eastern Europe, which seems to support the Britich notion. The 1904 book was the 4 th edition: I'd love to find a 1st.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 00:34

mikeh, on 2015-January-21, 00:20, said:

I think the Russian game was called biritch or Russian whist, then mispronounced as bridge

In that case I am really lucky that today I don't have to say I'm a "bitch professional."

But you're right someone with some random knowledge always ruins my sarcastic responses, thanks Mike :P
The artist formerly known as jlall

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-January-21, 01:34

Throw in also doesn't make a lot of sense. Am I supposed to imagine a big danceoff where I don't want to participate but then when nobody wants to go next, someone throws me in the ring? I always thought of something like declarer throws me a ball and that means I have to play first to that trick, but that wouldn't be a throw in per se. Throw in (figuratively) means to add/include something, which putting someone on the lead doesn't.

As for endplay, I'm not sure, but you're in a corner or something, no good things to do, so it's kind of like the end of your possibilities. Of course zugzwang (German for "forced to make a move") is a more elegant word in chess than this ad hoc explanation of endplay, but we work with what we have.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 02:23

kuhchung, on 2015-January-20, 15:43, said:

Maybe in order to understand endplay, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "endp" and "lay." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is endplay.

That's a nice and handey deeper thought.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 06:12

But why was it called whist in first place?. There is a book in Spain that claims that the ancestor of it is spannish "Brisca" wich is a trick card game with trump, and is said to date from when the arabs inhabited the peninsula (and they brought cards into Europe)

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-January-21, 12:42

Fluffy, on 2015-January-21, 06:12, said:

But why was it called whist in first place?. There is a book in Spain that claims that the ancestor of it is spannish "Brisca" wich is a trick card game with trump, and is said to date from when the arabs inhabited the peninsula (and they brought cards into Europe)

'whiiist' is the sound that cards make when dealt rapidly.

Anyway, every country claims it invented everything. Which isn't true....clearly Canadians invented everything.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-January-21, 13:33

mikeh, on 2015-January-21, 12:42, said:

'whiiist' is the sound that cards make when dealt rapidly.

Anyway, every country claims it invented everything. Which isn't true....clearly Canadians invented everything.

Clearly, whiskey, bacon, and pizza anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-January-21, 14:23

aguahombre, on 2015-January-21, 13:33, said:

Clearly, whiskey, bacon, and pizza anyway.

don't EVER forget timbits!!!!!!

(for the uninitiated, I think they are the deep-fried bits punched from the centre of the dough used to make donuts...aka donut holes, I say I think they are since, despite being Canadian, I never frequent Tim Horton's, the source of this delicacy)

#15 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 15:43

mikeh, on 2015-January-21, 12:42, said:

'Twas the Scots that built This Country, though...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-21, 16:45

Fluffy, on 2015-January-21, 06:12, said:

But why was it called whist in first place?.

According to "Bumblepuppy Days" (p.57), it was originally called "whisk" in the early 17th century, and this may have referred to the sweeping motion when you're gathering up the completed tricks.

Later in the century it morphed to "whist", which was similar to our modern "shh", meaning to keep quiet. One reason the name changed when bidding was added is because the game was no longer silent. Maybe we should go back to the old name now that bidding boxes (or written bidding down under) have become ubiquitous.

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 22:52

"Whisk" is an awesome name for a card game that would go a long way towards popularizing the game with a younger crowd.

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-22, 09:14

PhantomSac, on 2015-January-21, 00:34, said:

In that case I am really lucky that today I don't have to say I'm a "bitch professional."

Nobody stops you from getting a second job. :P

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-23, 14:22

Antrax, on 2015-January-19, 23:26, said:

it clearly has nothing to do with being near the end of the hand.

foreplay was taken
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-19, 09:49

kenberg, on 2015-January-20, 15:51, said:

You may (anything is possible!) find Clyde Love's comments on page 84 of Bridge Squeezes Complete relevant. Love tells us that "Sharp distinction should be drawn between the terms "end play" and "endplay". He draws an analogy with the terms "wild cat" and "wildcat". In his view, "end play" refers to the last few tricks, whether or not an "endplay" is involved.

And yes, I once owned a somewhat wild cat but I have never owned a wildcat.

I trust we will all keep this thoroughly in mind as we discuss the game.

""The" end play of a hand-every hand- is a vague term meaning the play of the last few tricks. "An" endplay is a play belonging to the group known as squeezes, strips, and trump coups, or combinations thereof: this name is used because such plays usually occur toward the end of the hand."(From the Love text)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users