BBO Discussion Forums: WTP: Open or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WTP: Open or not? 1st seat, white vs red, MPs

Poll: AT86-J62-AQT-J76 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Open or Pass in 1st, white vs red, MPs?

1. Pass (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Open (39 votes [92.86%])

Percentage of vote: 92.86%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-19, 00:31

I hope you know I was kidding when I said to pass during the tourney Diana, haha

thymepuns was messaging me about how badly you guys got fixed
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-19, 00:38

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-January-18, 22:41, said:

How is jxx essentially worthless? A jack is worth more than a small card

It is amazing that I also see this type of comments a lot. I ask myself "did these people never pay attention all these years during the play to what is going on at the table?" What I mean is, the cards that they call worthless can actually be very valuable and they still can not see it.

For example, I had a Jxx in suit where my opponents overcalled. And this J did not produce any trick for me when my pd held xxx in this suit.. Opponents had AKxxx vs Qx. When the guy started A from AKxxx defense was dead. He either had to cash the K and give him ruff from a holding which already had a natural trump trick, or stop leading this suit, in both of which I was cold for making it. There are a lot of times, these worthless cards for you, are actually very valuable for defense. If you did not have it, they would have, and that would amazingly made their communications, leads better.

I have seen so many times my LHO led a suit to solve my problems because he did not want to lead from his AQ holding in another suit where I held stiff K. A so called worthless card. It indeed did not give me any trick, But it made my LHO to try to find an entry to his pd so he can play this suit towards his AQ each time he held a trick. Most players who advances from intermediate to advance, knows and uses the term "right siding the contract" I guess this sounds good to the ear. Which is fine and indeed it is important to try to right side the contract. But all these cards that they easily trash and give zero value or call worthless, gives defenders whole lot more problems than right siding the contract. But their "loser count" or whatever formula that they rely on instead of their logic and experience says these cards are worthless. How can some people ignore this or fail to see it, escapes me by a mile.

No need to mention, I have yet to see a hand evaluation tool, such as KnR or Zar or whatever you may think of, taking out the full value of a card that some people call "worthless". They don't even take out half value of an honor in most cases. Maybe I am just very lucky and only person who is benefitting the most from these so called "worthless" cards.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-19, 00:57

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-January-19, 00:31, said:

I hope you know I was kidding when I said to pass during the tourney Diana, haha

thymepuns was messaging me about how badly you guys got fixed

Oh I know you were joking, and it was funny to see this passed in a BBF Indy. As for getting fixed, this one wasn't even the best fix in that tourney!

Here's my all time fav fix so far (1Cx-1 for 0%):

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-19, 00:59

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-January-19, 00:57, said:

Oh I know you were joking, and it was funny to see this passed in a BBF Indy. As for getting fixed, this one wasn't even the best fix in that tourney!

Here's my all time fav fix so far (1Cx-1 for 0%):

Who was East?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-19, 01:00

It doesn't even have to be as complicated as all that, sometimes your partner just has a holding that makes your jack worth something. Like an honor. I mean in the hand given, we have 2 out of 4 suits where partner having Jxx would be of a lot of value (AT8x opp Jxx is way better than AT8x opp xxx obv, and Jxx opp AQT is a lot better than xxx opp AQT). The 2 suits we didn't have a holding where a jack would be worthwhile....we had the jack of that suit.

A Jxx is not great. It is not as good as Qxx, but it is better than xxx. If I had to estimate, I would say it is worth about 1 point, while a queen is worth 2 and a king is worth 3 and an ace is worth 4. If you don't count Jxx then I guess you don't agree with point count. If you are saying yeah a jack is worth 1 in point count, but a stray jack should be downgraded, I totally agree, it is worth fractionally less than 1. However we must also upgrade holdings like AQT and AT8x which are significantly better than AQx and Axxx, and even those are worth more than the traditional point count indicates since aces and quick tricks are undervalued. So Jxx is not great, but aces and quicktricks and nice spot cards working with them are worth more. Passing 12 counts with some positive features seems silly. I especially don't understnad "I would open 1N if I could but I would not open 1C." If you would open 1N since you systemically open 12-14 balanced with 1N, then why not open 1C which systemically could be 12-14 balanced with clubs >= to diamonds?
The artist formerly known as jlall

#26 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-19, 01:01

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-19, 00:59, said:

Who was East?

He shall remain anonymous :P Lurker, prob not willing to post and defend himself here, so let's leave it at that.

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-19, 03:08

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-January-19, 01:01, said:

He shall remain anonymous :P Lurker, prob not willing to post and defend himself here, so let's leave it at that.

Fair enough.

#28 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-19, 04:46

I am probably one of the most conservative posters on this board when it comes to opening min balanced hands - but I am opening this one and I don't think it is particularly close either.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#29 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-20, 08:22

On Jxx:

You don't know if it's worthless or not. It is worth a lot opposite KQTx, but nothing opposite xxx. Statistically it's worth 1 HCP, and that's why you should count it.

Devaluate if you will, but only after you know pard's suits/values lie elsewhere, not before.

#30 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-January-20, 08:32

I was surprised that most folks didn't double with the East hand.
Alderaan delenda est

#31 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-21, 06:08

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-January-20, 08:32, said:

I was surprised that most folks didn't double with the East hand.

It sounds like at two tables it went p 1NT p p p, at two it started 1 1NT dbl (nige1's and the table which played 1NTx) and at one it started 1 dbl.

What surprises me is that neither South ran from the double.

#32 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-January-21, 15:38

Hmm. 1NT-X-XX - seems like an interesting start.

I too am not passing, even if I have to open it 1.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#33 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-22, 14:01

View Postakwoo, on 2015-January-19, 00:18, said:

1 doesn't have preemptive value as an opening bid.

Sure it does, it preempts them out of their weak NT. Not such a big deal at IMPs (where P's also more likely to put you in a dodgy 2-3NT), but it can be 50% of the MPs here.

(fwiw I'd open this hand at either form of scoring, though)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users