• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone Else Get This? BBO Annoyance

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-21, 15:09

At my local club, opps ask all the time. I find it mildly annoying that they want to know our answers to RKC during the auction since it creates UI between me and partner, but it does have the benefit that questions generally don't suggest anything. Even a question about whether our unalerted 1 opening is natural doesn't seem to correlate with good diamond holding.

Coming from such an environment, it feels alien to me to make any assumptions based on a delayed announcement. Especially since I sometimes make delayed announcements without being prompted myself.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-21, 15:11

You're still replying as if thought is involved, Helene. WeaSeL vs preempts, or vs weak NT (frequently known in the UK as the French Defence), or 'click' defence on BBO, works even (in fact, better) without thought.

My ACBL story:

1990, and we Alert our weak NTs as you do. My partner and I, in this club, average about 50%.
Christmas, I go home to family for 2 weeks.
1991, and we Announce our weak NTs (as you do). In January, same club, same players, average about 52, 53%.

Surely, it was all the studying and bridge playing my partner and I didn't do over the holidays that was responsible for the change.

A year later, and I'm at Kate Buckman's in Toronto, Mgr. Barbara Seagram of ZT fame. There is a sign on the bulletin board of the playing area, from memory:

"We rule that it is not necessary to know if an unAnnounced NT opening is 15-17, 16-18 or 15-18 for competitive purposes, and that asking which it is will be considered Unauthorized Information and subjects your partner to their restrictions under law."

Shortly thereafter, the ACBL revamps the Announcements, and one of the revamps is "ALL natural 1NT opening ranges are Announced". Guess it wasn't just Kate Buckman's...

I'm not accusing anyone of anything deliberate. The defence *works*. And it works whether you know you're doing it or not, or whether your partner knows you're doing it or not.

[Edit: and Barmar, I don't assume the worst. As I say above, the click defence works, perhaps better, if the opponents don't know they're playing it. I have run into the same number of people who deliberately play it as the number that deliberately play "stop card = preempt".]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users