• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Robot Hands Why does BBO insist they are completely random

#101 User is offline   manxx 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-03, 04:31

View Posttx10s, on 2015-January-17, 20:36, said:

Does anyone here really believe that the hands in Robot Bridge are really random? I know for a fact that the finesses are skewed 40% for the players and 60% for the robots, based on analysis of over 2600 finesses/open endings, and that is just the tip of the badly skewed hands iceburg.

I want the hands to be 90% equal for all players so skill comes into the play....I never get the top hands.. who can we communicate with to change this stupid approach to Bridge? This only teaches bad habits because in real Tournaments we play similar hands not hands skewed for three robots

Also, why when our robot partner is on the lead do they always lead the worst possible card. Watch and you will see this happens....real players would almost never lead what the robot opens with....again teaching bad habits to Bridge players

Allan Lobeck
MANXX

#102 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-03, 07:26

Increasing the font size does not make your comments any less drivel.

If their leads are so dreadful that they "always lead the worst possible card" (presumably with disastrous consequences), what makes you think that (human) bridge players would learn bad habits from them? Anything they learn would be a reinforcement of how bad it is to make those leads.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#103 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-03, 08:04

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-August-03, 07:26, said:

Increasing the font size does not make your comments any less drivel.

If their leads are so dreadful that the "always lead the worst possible card" (presumably with disastrous consequences), what makes you think that (human) bridge players would learn bad habits from them? Anything they learn would be a reinforcement of how bad it is to make those leads.

I have long thought that BBO should have a robot or a pair of robots compete in every robot tournament just to show players how the robot's skill compared to the average tournament participant.
(Hint, the robots are better)
Alderaan delenda est

#104 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-03, 08:46

When the robot is leading it uses an algorithm similar to the one used in the books "Winning Notrump Lead" and "Winning Suit Leads" by Bird & Anthias, but due to time constraints it only deals a few dozen hands rather than thousands like in the books. Humans tend to use much simpler guidelines, like usually leading 4th best from your strongest suit against NT.

There's some more explanation in the GIB System Notes.

#105 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-03, 08:59

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-August-03, 08:04, said:

I have long thought that BBO should have a robot or a pair of robots compete in every robot tournament just to show players how the robot's skill compared to the average tournament participant.
(Hint, the robots are better)

I made precisely this suggestion in this thread

http://tinyurl.com/hbkj9y6

It sounds like it is feasible - just requires the will.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users