Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How should this be bid?

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-16, 23:32

Imps, all vulnerable, South dealer, passed to North. How to proceed?
A couple of questions came up. I haven't put our bidding in because I wanted an unbiased reaction.:)If people object I will come back and put it in.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-17, 01:10

I'm glad S gets to pass, since if I held the N hand in 1st or 2nd, I'd truly hate it. It breaks almost all of my guidelines for a 2C opening but this is a hand on which I will never catch up, even assuming 1S isn't passed out.

Thus I open 2C.

I assume east bids. 3D seems reasonable even red.

S passes. It is common and, I think, good to play that this pass shows a positive response with no biddable suit. N has an easy 3S bid and S raises. Given that S has passed the overcall, N may take a chance and cuebid. Note that 5D isn't exclusion here, because it isn't a jump.

S bids 5h and N bids the spade slam.

I should point out that in my partnerships, the pass of 3D promises not hcp but at least an A or K. Given that east is red, and thus probably has a good suit, N can risk the 5 level. It isn't assured to be safe, but the odds favour it.

Absent that agrreement, bidding over 4S becomes a crapshoot. I strongly recommend this approach if you don't already play it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-17, 02:03

All depends on the hearts. If you open 2 I expect about 4 from East and we won't have room to explore. Don't know how to get there.

Were this first seat, I'd try 1 and hope to get a 2/1 response, then its fairly doable and it's unlikely to go 1-swish.

Third seat 1[spades ] is more likely to get passed (though still not likely) and I can't visualize how to get there with any science. Probably I give up and open 4, ready to send it back if it fetches a double; but I have a sneaking admiration for opening 6: partner won't raise to 7 in case we have a trump loser, we should have at least a play if partner has a heart card and there are one other chance to win--someone may think we are bidding on a sure thing and take the sac (wouldn't mind defending 7X on this hand at all) but the slam bid feels anti-percentage.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-17, 10:24

onoway, on 2015-January-16, 23:32, said:

all vulnerable

Consider adding "&v=b" in your [hv=... ] tag then.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-January-18, 14:54

I'm also a 2 bidder. It's just too much of a player not to open 2 .

#6 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-19, 07:29

onoway, on 2015-January-16, 23:32, said:

Imps, all vulnerable, South dealer, passed to North. How to proceed?
A couple of questions came up. I haven't put our bidding in because I wanted an unbiased reaction.:)If people object I will come back and put it in.

I open 1. I predict this bidding:

S.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-20, 08:24

Not sure how this "should" be bid, but I two things seem clear:

1. Open 2.
2. At some stage a.. let's call it "leap of faith".. will be necessary.

#8 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-22, 12:34

double post

This post has been edited by onoway: 2015-January-22, 12:38

#9 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-22, 12:37

mgoetze, on 2015-January-17, 10:24, said:

Consider adding "&v=b" in your [hv=... ] tag then.

I've been looking at this for days and I still haven't the faintest beginnings of a clue what that means, where or how I am supposed to do whatever it is. Is there something wrong about using the words all vulnerable?

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-23, 11:48

onoway, on 2015-January-22, 12:37, said:

I've been looking at this for days and I still haven't the faintest beginnings of a clue what that means, where or how I am supposed to do whatever it is. Is there something wrong about using the words all vulnerable?

No, it's just that people are used to red background meaning vulnerable and white background meaning nonvulnerable. From long experience on BBF I can tell you that some people won't even bother to read what you wrote, only look at the diagram. By including "v=b" in your handviewer code, you tell the handviewer program that both are vulnerable, thus the player names should have red background.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users