BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to a Strong 2 Club opening - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Responding to a Strong 2 Club opening

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-18, 14:28

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-January-18, 14:08, said:

The auction will still be at the 3 level when it comes back to you.

Sometimes. So what?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-19, 05:32

View PostArtK78, on 2015-January-16, 12:55, said:

I have never played Ace showing responses to 2 openings. This sounds like a holdover from the old Schenken strong club system, in which a 2 opening bid was STRONG and I believe that responses showed aces. This may be why you don't see anyone playing Schenken club anymore.

I once (5-10 years ago) encountered a pair playing this in conjunction with stolen-bid doubles: they opened 2, showing a hand too strong to open a strong club, I overcalled 2 and the next player doubled, alerted as showing the ace of spades. I'm not sure of the rest of the auction, but someone used Blackwood with a void (not in spades) and they ended up in a making slam :rolleyes:

#23 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-February-27, 12:02

This convenction is known as "CRODO"( where C=color, R=range, O=orphans ) and is used on 2 opening (3 losers or less). The scale is:2=0 Ace, 2, 2, 3, 3= color(=suit) with the Ace of.., 3=2 Aces with the same color (red or black), 3=2 Aces with the same range (major or minor), 3NT=2 Aces orphans= different for range and color (spade/diamond or heart/club) and at fuor level the lacking Ace when partner has three Aces. Consequently 4NT=? for Kings (5=0/4 Kings, 5=1 King, ..) and 5NT=? for Queens with the same scale on steps. The 2 Crodo is forcing until manche.(Lovera)

#24 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-27, 14:49

View Postcampboy, on 2015-January-19, 05:32, said:

I once (5-10 years ago) encountered a pair playing this in conjunction with stolen-bid doubles: they opened 2, showing a hand too strong to open a strong club, I overcalled 2 and the next player doubled, alerted as showing the ace of spades. I'm not sure of the rest of the auction, but someone used Blackwood with a void (not in spades) and they ended up in a making slam :rolleyes:

They were only describing the ultra strong balanced hand alternative, which would indeed be too strong for 1. The unbalanced alternative showed a hand not "stronger" than 1 but with a sure game and no interest in partner's shape, but looking for specific honors for slam. A terrible convention because of rarity--the bid itself was a thing of beauty the once a year (i you play every day) that it happened. I have a copy of Better Bidding in 15 Minutes on my bookshelf. The 2 opener is not one of Schenken's ideas I've used.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users