BBO Discussion Forums: Try For Game? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Try For Game?

#21 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2015-January-16, 16:45

Not I. I've only got 2 pts above my opening bid. If we're playing Reverse Drury, partner has denied 10 pts, and if we're not then he's pretty much on his own.

Let the experts bid it. They can make games that aren't there. I have trouble doing that.

#22 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-16, 16:51

If I specifically have a short suit try, I use it. Otherwise I pass.

#23 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-16, 17:07

#24 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-17, 16:28

At matchpoints, no way. You're going to get a decent score for 2 making 4, and a terrible score if you go set. You also have to factor in the possibility of being in 3 going down one, if partner declines. Very very bad at MP.

At IMPs there is an adage, "slow to invite, quick to accept." The problem is that your partner will push an invitation. That said, vulnerable, I would hazard a 3 bid. You're looking at +620 vs. +170. And opponents make mistakes - a lead up to your KJx of diamonds is possible, for instance.

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 05:09

fourdad, on 2015-January-16, 05:26, said:

Would partner, a passed hand, bid 2H with 10 points? Is that not what he needs for there to be a game try?

On the grounds that we need 24+ hcp to make game, right?

jdgalt, on 2015-January-16, 16:45, said:

Not I. I've only got 2 pts above my opening bid.

QJ6 KJ732 KJ6 K8 would perhaps be 2 points above minimum but the hand with shortage + fit is surely considerably better.

Both of these posts seem to be prefaced on the notion that hcp is the be-all and end-all of hand evaluation. There are 7 counts that would be too strong for 2 and 10 counts that are perfectly fine for the call.

I do not agree with PK's assessment of the "standard Acol style" - raising with 2=3=4=4 is quite possible, for example, as this rates to be better than 1NT a lot of the time. Most would also raise quite happily with 9 and 4 card support, including the odd downgraded 10.

MrAce's point about Drury is also well taken. I would assume Drury is not being used given that it was not mentioned. That has a direct effect on the top end.

If we go back to the point count argument from earlier, I would rate this hand about a 15-16 at this stage. That is clearly considerably better than 2 above minimum (especially in Acol) but also not enough to make game odds on. Here I agree with Phil about inviting being neutral. At IMPs it would be a no-brainer; MPs I am going to size up the opps. If we are inviting, two-way game tries would be a big help.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#26 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-30, 18:40

Andrew Robson recently wrote a column about avoiding game try bids at MPs on the grounds that they give too much help to the defence in holding over/undertricks. This hand looks like a textbook example of his point to me, and if I were planning to invite with game tries (I wasn't), then I'd be less keen still to just raise hearts (assuming that shows an invitation at MPs - I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick on that).

That said, I seem to be consistently too wimpy in constructive auctions, but even at IMPs I'd prefer to pass this (vul I'd probably take the plunge). The lack of aces makes me feel like the spade suit's strength will never get its full value, since the defence will be able to cash any side-suit winners they have before we can ditch them. Meanwhile the opps' silence makes me think P has some of his values in clubs, which means the hands are unlikely to be too good a fit.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#27 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-30, 19:08

full story: i did try for game partner with a huge max for some bizzare reason declined made 9 tricks could've made 10

eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users