BBO Discussion Forums: How to play 3NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How to play 3NT

#1 User is offline   DavidChinn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 08:05

What is the best line in 3NT?
The opening lead is the club 3 (4th best).

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:34

Hi, welcome to forums. Posted Image
This is not a good hand for forums in the form you asked it. For example I will reply "8 and cover whatever N plays and play a to the T.

At this point I will be facing 2 not very fun options

1-Wait for you to come back on what happened over T
2- Sit down and spend couple hours to write all the combinations, including the carding of opponents, and write my line of play for every interaction.

This will lead to this very good play problem to be not replied or replied less than desirable times imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   DavidChinn 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:38

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-14, 10:34, said:

Hi, welcome to forums. Posted Image
This is not a good hand for forums in the form you asked it. For example I will reply "8 and cover whatever N plays and play a to the T.

At this point I will be facing 2 not very fun options

1-Wait for you to come back on what happened over T
2- Sit down and spend couple hours to write all the combinations, including the carding of opponents, and write my line of play for every interaction.

This will lead to this very good play problem to be not replied or replied less than desirable times imho.

Thank you for the feedback.
I was really looking at the thought process behind a hand that should make 3 NT but only has 4 top tricks.
I knew that I had to generate winners in multiple suits, but could not figure out where to start.
I will try to ask my focused questions going forward.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:47

Yes we have 4 top tricks. It depends on what they played on 8. If for example N plays K now we know that we are making 4 tricks, if he covers with T or nothing we are probably making only 3 club tricks. And whether T knocked out K or J is also important. If K played and T knocked K, then 3 NT is home and we will seek overtricks. But I doubt you would be asking this problem if they did. Posted Image In general we will have to watch a lot of spot cards because it seems they will play a huge role in this 3 NT.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 12:54

What's all this about the 8 ?
North is the opening leader... and apparently has led the 3 from 4 cards .
West is Declarer.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-14, 12:58

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2015-January-14, 12:54, said:

What's all this about the 8 ?
North is the opening leader... and apparently has led the 3 from 4 cards .
West is Declarer.

LOL @ me

My bad, was thinking E is declarer.

#7 User is offline   DavidChinn 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 14:38

FWIW, I played low from dummy at trick one, losing to South's King.
Now with six winners (1 S, 2 H, and 3 C), I needed three more from spades and diamonds.
I was looking for a line that made the heart finesse a late play in the hand.

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-14, 18:18

what was returned at trick 2? i'm guessing another club? In which case i would take the other clubs as S might discard a heart from like Txxx or something and we can get 4 heart tricks :D
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-January-14, 19:14

DavidChinn, on 2015-January-14, 08:05, said:

[post='829628'

What is the best line in 3NT?
The opening lead is the club 3 (4th best).

View PostDavidChinn, on 2015-January-14, 14:38, said:

FWIW, I played low from dummy at trick one, losing to South's King. Now with six winners (1 S, 2 H, and 3 C), I needed three more from spades and diamonds. I was looking for a line that made the heart finesse a late play in the hand.
This contract is fraught with entry problems but I agree broadly with Eagles123: Win return wiht A. Cash J, paying attention to opponents' signals. Lead a to K. If K wins, cash Q, chucking a . Duck a . How're we doing? :)

#10 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 06:50

I would have played 4, then (if i get the ) i would finesse J and take A. Then and play 7 from hand if S dont go up.
Then N can take for ex K.
Then he has problem if shift to or to we will have good chanses to find the last trick after revaluate.
If N after taking K shift to we play low and if are 33 or Ax or Axxx at N we got 2 tricks.
So the situation i that spot will be promising i think

#11 User is offline   DavidChinn 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 09:42

Thanks all for the input.
My line was similar: Win club return, A, low spade, losing to N's K, win return to Q, A, Q, Q, A, and finesse.
In the end I needed the finesse to be on. I did not know if there was a stronger approach to avoid the finesse.

#12 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2015-January-16, 16:41

I agree with low from dummy on trick one, then win C return with A.

At that point I think I would lead a low diamond to the king. For this hand to be better than "two finesses out of three have to work," I somehow have to get North to lead a heart up to my jack.

This hand seems to me a bad one to pose as a problem because there's not much I can actually do to affect the outcome, beyond "don't do anything stupid."

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users