BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding this hand/ Whose fault was it? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding this hand/ Whose fault was it?

#21 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:09

View Postahydra, on 2015-January-14, 05:24, said:

Actually, it's a call. </pedant> All bids are calls, but not all calls are bids.

ahydra

Ah, the Queen's English!

#22 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:17

The idea that you would want to agree that the 3 bid is a HSGT is workable as long as it PROMISES spade support as others pointed out.

I'm a 2nt bidder and find that those who play 1nt as 10-13 end up having to pass 1 with unsuitable shape but otherwise constructive hands. Partners balance does not deny a decent opener.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#23 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:21

The idea that you would want to agree that the 3 bid is a HSGT is workable as long as it PROMISES spade support as others pointed out.

I'm a 2nt bidder and find that those who play 1nt as 10-13 end up having to pass 1 with the same shape and values too constructive for my taste. Partners balance does not deny a decent opener.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#24 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 11:26

Hi, I am a beginner (wishing to learn) and from my teaching I would bid 1NT - ie. 9-12, balanced, no support for partner, stopper in Ops suit. Any advice would be appreciated. I am learning ACOL in the UK.

#25 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 11:51

View Postkeithhus, on 2015-January-14, 11:26, said:

Hi, I am a beginner (wishing to learn) and from my teaching I would bid 1NT - ie. 9-12, balanced, no support for partner, stopper in Ops suit. Any advice would be appreciated. I am learning ACOL in the UK.

responding 1NT to an overcall shows more than it would if you were responding to an opening bid (6-9/10). this is because overcalls are made on lower ranges (you don't need anywhere close to 12 points to overcall and with 18/19+ you normally start with a takeout double and then introduce your suit on the second round). as such a 1NT response to an overcall is normally a good 7-12 or so.

however, when the overcall is in the passout position as in the original post, the overcall can be far weaker as partner needs to protect your hand. you might have a relatively strong hand which had no suitable call (12 is ok, but you could easily have 14 or 15. maybe more if you had a lot of RHO's suit and hoped to get a penalty). as the overcall now has an even lower range, so the responses change too. a basic principle for bidding after a passout position call is 'transferred king', which means you in the direct seat pretend you have 3 points less and bid accordingly, and partner who protected has 3 points more. your 12 count perforce becomes a 9 count and you respond 1NT.

by the way, if you plan to play more online than face to face in clubs, dump acol and play some sort of 5 major system. also if you happen to be in london 5 card majors are normal enough anyway. aside from not being very good, acol has very little published material, because it's hardly played anywhere outside the lower echelons of UK based bridge.

#26 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 14:14

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to me, very kind of you. I am copying it out as I don't know how to print (if indeed you can). You are not the first to suggest I play 5 card majors and I may read up on the system(s) in the future (once I have a better understanding of Acol) as the BBO population seems by far greater and I do want to play more and more on-line. At present, I also want to play in a club and all of the clubs I am aware of in The New Forest play Acol. Whatever, I really enjoy the game and wish I could spend more time playing . Thank you once again for your response.

#27 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 15:29

View Postkeithhus, on 2015-January-14, 14:14, said:

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to me, very kind of you. I am copying it out as I don't know how to print (if indeed you can). You are not the first to suggest I play 5 card majors and I may read up on the system(s) in the future (once I have a better understanding of Acol) as the BBO population seems by far greater and I do want to play more and more on-line. At present, I also want to play in a club and all of the clubs I am aware of in The New Forest play Acol. Whatever, I really enjoy the game and wish I could spend more time playing . Thank you once again for your response.

There will be a number of ways to print it, hitting Control+P would be the easiest, if it doesn't work I would copy the text to a text editor (Select it with the mouse, then right click on it and "copy". Then on a text editor right click and "Paste")

#28 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 17:54

Fluffy, thank you, I will try text editor in the morning.

#29 User is offline   daffydoc 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 19:33

Don't much care for the methods, but regardless, the 4S bidder must share all the blame - the 4S bidder invited and accepted his own invite - thereby punishing partner for bidding 1S in the first place. Seems like his choice was defend 1D or play 4S - NOT GOOD daffydoc

#30 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-15, 01:47

View Postkeithhus, on 2015-January-14, 14:14, said:

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to me, very kind of you. I am copying it out as I don't know how to print (if indeed you can). ...

Look in the row of icons at the bottom of each page, there's a printer icon there. Click it, and it will print out the whole thread. I think CTRL+P works too, but not sure if it takes the whole discussion or only the current page.

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 03:29

View Postwank, on 2015-January-14, 11:51, said:

by the way, if you plan to play more online than face to face in clubs, dump acol and play some sort of 5 major system.

This is a little unfair to the Acol Club on BBO, wank. I am sure they would be more than happy to have a new player.

Good explanation of the transferred king principle, although I think most players are taught 8/9-12 rather than 7-12 for a 1NT response to a second-seat overcall. Obviously the actual bottom end you play depends to a large extent on the top end of the overcall range. Again, what beginners learn is usually more conservative than many experts play in practise but I think Keith would do best to stick to that traditional (conservative) style for now. It is, after all, what the vast majority of his partners will know and assume, both online and f2f.
(-: Zel :-)

#32 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 04:55

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-January-15, 01:47, said:

Look in the row of icons at the bottom of each page, there's a printer icon there. Click it, and it will print out the whole thread. I think CTRL+P works too, but not sure if it takes the whole discussion or only the current page.

Thank you Diana

#33 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 04:59

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-15, 03:29, said:

This is a little unfair to the Acol Club on BBO, wank. I am sure they would be more than happy to have a new player.

Good explanation of the transferred king principle, although I think most players are taught 8/9-12 rather than 7-12 for a 1NT response to a second-seat overcall. Obviously the actual bottom end you play depends to a large extent on the top end of the overcall range. Again, what beginners learn is usually more conservative than many experts play in practise but I think Keith would do best to stick to that traditional (conservative) style for now. It is, after all, what the vast majority of his partners will know and assume, both online and f2f.

Yes, I have ventured into the Acol site on a few occasions with limited success!! But enjoyable and that's the way you learn and I clearly have plenty to learn. Thanks

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users