• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Was Director Right Too Slow

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-15, 06:48

View Postgordontd, on 2015-January-15, 01:35, said:

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Scoring just by matchpoints makes each board have equal value, which in my opinion makes it more suitable for shorter rounds and stops people from "shooting" towards the end of a match.

Of course you can get that in a "normal" pairs game.

I think that we are very lucky here in England that we play a variety of events.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-15, 10:20

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-15, 06:40, said:

The round assignments come out instantly on Bridgemate 2.

You cannot present round seatings until they have been calculated, i.e. after the last table has completed its round.
And does Bridgemate 2 tell the players where to go or which players are expected at this table?

I don't see how you could do this for Swiss Pairs.

Assigning seats based on 95% completed round is a feature available in the scoring program used (among other places) in Norway.

Are people really stressed to receive their match reports later than a minute after the round is finished? Is not as if you can check them while finding your new table and getting ready to start the first board.

The players' prime interest at end of round is to know where to go for the next round. They are generally not happy about having to remain at the table for the next seating to become published, and they will certainly not be happy about having to look up their own next seating in a list of all seatings for the next round.

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-15, 11:08

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-15, 01:50, said:

There are several things that make people slow... and most of them are not slow play. Typical things slow players do, that cost minutes per board and have nothing to do with the play, are:

In my club, the players who are habitually behind really are just slow. They're poor players who seem to take 10-20 seconds for almost every decision. They may also suffer from some of the procedural problems that you mention, which exacerbates it, but I think fixing those would probably save less than a minute.

#44 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-15, 11:14

View Postpran, on 2015-January-15, 10:20, said:

You cannot present round seatings until they have been calculated, i.e. after the last table has completed its round.
And does Bridgemate 2 tell the players where to go or which players are expected at this table?

At the end of the round, the Bridgemates say "Awaiting new movement ..." or some such.
When the new movement (assignment) is updated, the Bridgemates show the move for the players (previously) at the table.
The new players press "OK" and the Bridgemates show the new round informations: pair numbers, boards, and then names.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#45 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-15, 11:19

View PostRMB1, on 2015-January-15, 11:14, said:

At the end of the round, the Bridgemates say "Awaiting new movement ..." or some such.
When the new movement (assignment) is updated, the Bridgemates show the move for the players (previously) at the table.
The new players press "OK" and the Bridgemates show the new round informations: pair numbers, boards, and then names.

Having the assignments projected onto the wall or a screen as well might be a good idea; especially for players who have run to the bar or for a smoke after the round was finished.

Do you have any information, Robin, about whether current round assignments have made the events slower?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-15, 11:21

View Postpran, on 2015-January-15, 10:20, said:

The players' prime interest at end of round is to know where to go for the next round. They are generally not happy about having to remain at the table for the next seating to become published, and they will certainly not be happy about having to look up their own next seating in a list of all seatings for the next round.

Are you sure? Have the players been surveyed as to whether they would prefer current-round assignments?

#47 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-15, 11:44

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-15, 11:21, said:

Are you sure? Have the players been surveyed as to whether they would prefer current-round assignments?

Yes.

I do not know of any survey, but I can tell you from experience that no player here accepts having to remain at the table after finishing the round in order to learn where to go next. They want their free time going outside for a smoke or something.

In a survey I would expect them to ask: "What can we gain with current-round assignment"? - and honestly I would not be able to give any good reason why one should abandon the present routine that works smoothly.

#48 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-15, 12:22

View Postpran, on 2015-January-15, 11:44, said:

Yes.

I do not know of any survey, but I can tell you from experience that no player here accepts having to remain at the table after finishing the round in order to learn where to go next. They want their free time going outside for a smoke or something.

In a survey I would expect them to ask: "What can we gain with current-round assignment"? - and honestly I would not be able to give any good reason why one should abandon the present routine that works smoothly.

You don't have to stay at the table; you can leave and come back. If you didn't finish early, though, you might as well stay and chat, because there are no breaks between matches.

Current round assignments provide more accurate pairings and avoid having to play a potentially unsuitable pair in the second round.

Arild Rasmussen & Kjell Gaute Fyrund won the Swiss Pairs at our Year End Congress. So they have done it both ways. If you know them, you could ask if they have any preference.

All English players have done it both ways, and I sincerely believe that, among those who care, there is a strong preference for the method used now.

#49 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-15, 13:08

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-15, 12:22, said:

You don't have to stay at the table; you can leave and come back. If you didn't finish early, though, you might as well stay and chat, because there are no breaks between matches.

Current round assignments provide more accurate pairings and avoid having to play a potentially unsuitable pair in the second round.

Arild Rasmussen & Kjell Gaute Fyrund won the Swiss Pairs at our Year End Congress. So they have done it both ways. If you know them, you could ask if they have any preference.

All English players have done it both ways, and I sincerely believe that, among those who care, there is a strong preference for the method used now.

I'll rest until (if) the question is raised here.

But I can't help expecting a pair returning to the table to see where to go next, only to find the new pairs at that table already seated and no sign of the information then wanted. Exclamation from the new pairs: "Sorry, we didn't know that you hadn't seen it already so we just verified that we are scheduled here."

Can you og back on BM2 (I am not much familiar with that version)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users