• You cannot reply to this topic

Was Director Right Too Slow

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:20

This incident happened last night, 3 board rounds Matchpoints

On the first board I had a tricky 3NT to play and took a considerable amount of time about it. On the second board it was a complex auction and this time our opps took a bit of time. So we were a bit slow going in to the 3rd board

TD comes over and tells us to go faster so we bid and play the third board very quickly. However as we go to enter the score director just says "too slow" 50:50

it's kinda frustrating because it would've been 100% to us and would've made a big difference to the overall standings (albeit not at the top end) as we would've finished 10/34 rather than 18/34 lol

was the director right to give 50:50 or should we have been able to enter the table result given we did actually play out the board

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:24

The director's ruling was illegal. In fact it looks deliberately spiteful.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:29

Can't quote rule numbers at you, but directors cannot arbitrarily remove a board once started. The result should have been allowed to stand. The director *may* have had a case for a procedural penalty to both sides for slow play, but it sounds a tad vindictive from what you've said.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:29

No, if the TD lets you start the third board then he can't legally assign an artificial score for being "too slow". He could have told you not to play the third board and assigned 40-40 (50-50 doesn't seem right either), but after he failed to do that the table result must stand.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:33

I don't understand the director's intention. If he wanted to penalise you he should have let you enter the table result but subtracted 10% or whatever from each side. So presumably he didn't realise that you did finish it and just wanted to void it. But he can't do that - a boardtthat is scheduled to be played has to be played. He could have instructed you not to start the board but once he failed to do so it is too late.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 07:30

If it was a club game with a playing TD the director may not have been aware that the table was a long way behind going into the last board of the set. He should have allowed them to finish the board but moved the rest of the field on time, while they were still playing, and asked them to try to catch up on the next round without putting their opponents under undue pressure. If they haven't started the last board of the next round at what the TD considers an appropriate time remove the board and score it 40%-60%.

I don't see the need to give out extra procedural penalties unless pairs are persistently slow.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 09:35

People are correct that the director should not cancel a board once it's started, although I can't find a specific law that says or even implies so.

Once a board is started, and certainly when it's played to completion, the score achieved at the table is to be recorded (Law 79) unless there is cause to adjust the score (Law 12) which there isn't here. If one or both pairs are responsible for slow play, the TD could award a PP (Law 90B2) but that requires "unduly" slow play, and it doesn't seem that's what happened here.

If you're still within the correction period, you could appeal. As the appeal would be on a matter of law, the director will hear it and either change his ruling (he should) or not. If he refuses, there's not much you can do except vote with your feet.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 10:47

blackshoe, on 2015-January-13, 09:35, said:

People are correct that the director should not cancel a board once it's started, although I can't find a specific law that says or even implies so.

Once a board is started, and certainly when it's played to completion, the score achieved at the table is to be recorded (Law 79) unless there is cause to adjust the score (Law 12) which there isn't here. If one or both pairs are responsible for slow play, the TD could award a PP (Law 90B2) but that requires "unduly" slow play, and it doesn't seem that's what happened here.

If you're still within the correction period, you could appeal. As the appeal would be on a matter of law, the director will hear it and either change his ruling (he should) or not. If he refuses, there's not much you can do except vote with your feet.

I am not aware of any Law that allows the Director to cancel a board in progress. This must imply that once started a board is to be completed (if at all possible).

Consequences of late play is a matter of regulation (including Conditions of Contest). CoC should include specifications for the consequences of Boards not finished in time.

#9 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-13, 10:54

blackshoe, on 2015-January-13, 09:35, said:

If the Director hears the appeal as a matter of law, that (appeal) decision can still be appealed to a committee - but given what has been said in other topics about ACBL club appeal processes, who knows what will happen.

Law 93B1 said:

The Director in charge shall hear and rule upon such part of the appeal as deals solely with the Law or regulations. His ruling may be appealed to the committee.

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 11:11

pran, on 2015-January-13, 10:47, said:

I am not aware of any Law that allows the Director to cancel a board in progress. This must imply that once started a board is to be completed (if at all possible).

Law 82B2: To rectify an error in procedure the Director may:
2. require, postpone or cancel the play of a board.

One might argue that there is no limitation here on the director's right to cancel the play of a board where an error in procedure has occurred, and unduly slow play is an error in procedure (see Law 90). I wouldn't argue this way, but my only counter-argument is "we just don't do that" - which is not based on anything in the laws AFAICS.

pran, on 2015-January-13, 10:47, said:

Consequences of late play is a matter of regulation (including Conditions of Contest). CoC should include specifications for the consequences of Boards not finished in time.

So long as the regulation does not conflict with the laws, yes. But if the CoC do not cover this, the TD has the authority to deal with it.

Question: if the TD "cancels the play" of a board, does that remove it from the schedule of boards to be played?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 11:13

RMB1, on 2015-January-13, 10:54, said:

If the Director hears the appeal as a matter of law, that (appeal) decision can still be appealed to a committee - but given what has been said in other topics about ACBL club appeal processes, who knows what will happen.

True — although this incident seems to have happened in the UK. B-)
--------------------

#12 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-13, 11:23

blackshoe, on 2015-January-13, 11:13, said:

True — although this incident seems to have happened in the UK. B-)

Apologies to any club appeal procedures I may have maligned, either in EBU or ACBL.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-January-13, 12:19

I think it would be legal (but possibly not the best thing) to let this one go, and pull a board at both tables on the next round preemptively, assigning A+/A-; potentially allowing them to play it if they're done the other two boards with X on the clock.

But I do disagree with pulling boards once they are started (unless started after instruction not to start any more boards; I'm happy to say that that board "never started").
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 14:13

mycroft, on 2015-January-13, 12:19, said:

I think it would be legal (but possibly not the best thing) to let this one go, and pull a board at both tables on the next round preemptively, assigning A+/A-; potentially allowing them to play it if they're done the other two boards with X on the clock.

But I do disagree with pulling boards once they are started (unless started after instruction not to start any more boards; I'm happy to say that that board "never started").

I agree that would not be the best thing. I don't like the idea of pulling boards preemptively — it's a new round, they should have a chance to catch up. But I'd keep a close eye on them, and cancel the last board at either new table if they don't start it soon enough. Speaking of "soon enough", some clubs around here set the clock to "don't start any new boards" when there are 3 or 2 or even only 1 minute to go. That's nuts. Leave a reasonable time for a fast finish. Speedballs give five minutes a board, so I wouldn't go much, if anything, less than that. But you have to educate people - just because people are still playing when the warning goes off, that's no reason to ignore it and start your last board. Yet that's a common reaction — "people are still playing". Doesn't matter.

A board starts when any player takes his hand out of the board. If that happens before the warning, I'd let them play it. Note that this works better if there's five minutes for them to play it than 1 or 2 or 3. Another reason for earlier warnings.

If a table starts a board after the warning, I would interrupt that so long as the auction has not started (first call made). If the auction was started, and they were reasonably close to the warning, I'd let them finish it even if the starting was deliberately after the warning — but I'd issue a DP (not a PP) of probably twice the "standard" (so 50% at MPs in the ACBL) to both sides. I'd issue a "standard" DP to both sides even if I interrupt the board when the auction has not yet started. Again, more if it was deliberate. I once heard a player say, after the (verbal, this was before clocks) warning "let's play it, she (the TD) won't notice". That's just wrong. BTW, I was playing, not directing, when I heard that.

How long should a round be? Around here, directors seem to start with three hours total for the game, and then divide that by the number of boards to be played (usually 24, 26 or 27). That works out to 7.5, 7, or 6.7 minutes per board. But it doesn't allow for any additional time for other things, like moving, entering and verifying scores, and so on. I'd rather see it go like this: So much "start time" for getting things going (distributing boards and bridge pads, announcements, whatever), so much time per board (the ACBL "standard" is 7.5 minutes, but then directors almost always ignore any "admin" time and just assume the 7.5 per board will allow enough slack - they shouldn't IMO do that), so much "admin time", so much break time (we never have breaks, but they would be a good thing IMO). So for 27 boards, 6:40 per board, 3 hours total, 20 minutes per round plus "admin time" of say 2 minutes is 22 minutes per round times 9 rounds is 3 hours 18 mintues plus break time of 15 minutes is 3 hours 33 minutes. In fact, it turns out most sessions take at least that long anyway, even with some people moving long before the round is called.

If your players are generally slow — a beginner section for instance — you may need to allow more time per board, and hence more time overall.

IAC, the director needs to control the movement — including not allowing players to move until the round is called, getting them to move when the round is called, and getting North to move boards when the round is called (not earlier and not, for boards already played, later). But if I ever see it happen I'll probably have a heart attack. :P
--------------------

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-13, 16:08

blackshoe, on 2015-January-13, 11:11, said:

Law 82B2: To rectify an error in procedure the Director may:
2. require, postpone or cancel the play of a board.
One might argue that there is no limitation here on the director's right to cancel the play of a board where an error in procedure has occurred, and unduly slow play is an error in procedure (see Law 90). I wouldn't argue this way, but my only counter-argument is "we just don't do that" - which is not based on anything in the laws AFAICS.

The way Law 82B2 is worded it seems to apply for board(s) on which auction or play has not yet started.

There is some guidance in Law 8 which makes it clear that a round does not end as ordered for any table where the play on a board is still in progress at that time.

This tends to corroborate the view that the Director may not cancel a board once the auction period on that board has begun (unless it is impossible to complete the board in any normal way).

And there is no doubt that regulation(s) can specify (or should at least suggest) standard penalties for instance for late play.

#16 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-13, 16:10

blackshoe, on 2015-January-13, 11:11, said:

Question: if the TD "cancels the play" of a board, does that remove it from the schedule of boards to be played?

No, he must award an artificial adjusted score.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 21:52

pran, on 2015-January-13, 16:10, said:

No, he must award an artificial adjusted score.

That's the way I've always understood it, but it's not really all that clear.
--------------------

#18 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 23:19

NickRW, on 2015-January-13, 06:29, said:

Can't quote rule numbers at you, but directors cannot arbitrarily remove a board once started.

Maybe not legally, but ACBL BBO speedballs do this all the time (and then usually assign a score for the board).

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-13, 23:35

The rule in online bridge appears to be "the rules are whatever the director says they are". Even if he's wrong.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 01:37

My impression of the BBO speedballs is that it's not the director who pulls the boards in progress, it's the computer, which has zero tolerance for playing past the end of a round. The director then assigns a score to unfinished boards. That's part of the CoC of those tournaments, surely.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users