• You cannot reply to this topic

JEC Jan10 Board 28

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-12, 00:15

3 was undiscussed.

Generally, we play Minorwood, so 4 is probably RKCB for clubs. What do you think your possible bids mean, and which do you choose?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 01:33

I bid 3nt. I know I try to play 3nt a lot, quite possibly too much, and it is possible I should be fishing for a 6 not worried about a 5 MP loss to 3nt since it is IMP, but I think 3 sounds like a punt and not necessarily strong (and if partner really is strong they can bid past 3nt). We've already shown our club fit, and while we have good controls and inside-outside values we are minimum for our 1nt range and doubleton in the transfer suit and 3 probe. I imagine that at a minimum partner is something like AKJ-fifth of spades and K-fourth of clubs and more length in clubs or spades is possible as is stray red quacks.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-12, 07:19

Taking 3 as natural/values, it seems pard has all of his "stuff" in the black suits. In this context, it's an excellent hand to go slamming.

Thus I'd probably bid 4, which is probably RKCB, then I'll probably try for a grand if all the keys are there Posted Image

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-13, 13:24

Luckily, we stumbled into the right contract1 on this one:

I can't think of a better way for responder to show a 6-5 hand, so maybe 3 should indeed show 6 spades?

In any case 2NT got me pretty excited. I still wonder whether that was justified, but it worked out in this case.

1) Well, actually we wrongsided it, guess we'd better rethink those transfers.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users