• You cannot reply to this topic

JEC Jan10 Board 4

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-11, 23:37

Your lead to trick 6?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-12, 01:00

presented as a problem i'm playing the HJ

i would have autoplayed diamond in real life
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 01:18

I went back and forth between J and but I think at IMPs needing 4 more tricks to set, I play the diamond 3 and hope we can get 2 each from the majors. Dealer has just 6 HCP in the minors, and there is just 15 HCP missing in the majors. We need to give dealer 5 or 6 HCP at least, and still end up with enough to set. I think I hope hearts are frozen and dealer is 5=3=1=4, so we get our 2 tricks in hearts that I might blow one by leading them. Then I hope we have enough to get two tricks from spades.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 07:13

View PostMbodell, on 2015-January-12, 01:18, said:

I went back and forth between J and but I think at IMPs needing 4 more tricks to set, I play the diamond 3 and hope we can get 2 each from the majors. Dealer has just 6 HCP in the minors, and there is just 15 HCP missing in the majors. We need to give dealer 5 or 6 HCP at least, and still end up with enough to set. I think I hope hearts are frozen and dealer is 5=3=1=4, so we get our 2 tricks in hearts that I might blow one by leading them. Then I hope we have enough to get two tricks from spades.

Construct a deal where playing is the winner and J is the loser, consistent with your analysis (2 tricks per major suit) I think it is tuff to find such a deal. Playing diamonds now will probably disabling your pd from safe exit when he holds the hand, and if we are planning on taking 4 more tricks, he will be the one expected to hold the hand, obviously more than once.

What is your count signals Michael? How many clubs did pd say he had? If pd showed 4 clubs, then declarer has 4 heart (unless he has 6th trump)., which then continuation may not hurt. But if pd has 3 clubs and declarer has only 3 hearts, we probably need to play hearts now. Lets say declarer has Axxxx , he ruffs 3rd and plays A and another and pd will have no safe exit. Unless he has AK of , which is impossible because then declarer does not have an opening bid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 07:56

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-12, 07:13, said:

What is your count signals Michael? How many clubs did pd say he had?

Well, the only missing club is the queen, and I think we know partner doesn't have that, but he did indeed signal an odd length (UDCA). ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-12, 08:55

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-January-12, 07:56, said:

Well, the only missing club is the queen, and I think we know partner doesn't have that, but he did indeed signal an odd length (UDCA). ;)

LOL @ me Posted Image

Tell your pd no offense intendedPosted Image

Back to the hand, then I think play is called for, for the reasons I stated already. Declarer will play A and another next 2 tricks if we play diamonds.

EDIT: Or he can duck 3rd , which I see now when look at hand records, that is what he did. But regardless, main point is to leave pd a safe exit and/or prevent him from being endplayed.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 15:14

If partner has KTx or ATx of hearts, why would he not signal for a heart?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 15:42

View Postcherdano, on 2015-January-12, 15:14, said:

If partner has KTx or ATx of hearts, why would he not signal for a heart?

Did he have a clear opportunity to do so?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-12, 17:04

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-January-12, 15:42, said:

Did he have a clear opportunity to do so?

We already need pd to hold either A or K. He is talking about the presence of T

T-6-5 instead of 6-5-T (same suit count but different S.P)

Which he should have. Assume your pd holds Kxxx instead of KTxx and AJx . Playing can give up the contract.

But too much info to declarer may wake him up as well. Then he might try to ruff last at T4, had pd started T.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 13:32

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-January-12, 01:00, said:

presented as a problem i'm playing the HJ

i would have autoplayed diamond in real life

I was afraid that presenting this as a problem would have some influence on the result, the autoplay is what happened to me. I'm not good at recognizing situations where I need to help partner not get endplayed.

N/S at the other table did not face entirely the same problem ...

-- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-13, 14:15

Maybe just about being good at recognizing kill points

Honestly I was just being robotic and habitual when I said I'd autoplay a diamond. Just a reflex of not breaking suits, but when I actually decided to figure out how we were beating it, I saw that partner was getting ended

I didn't stop to work out if we could beat it if partner doesn't have the HT

Of course I am not nearly as strong as many of the posters here, so maybe this is easy for them
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users