BBO Discussion Forums: Silly poll on English language - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silly poll on English language for native speakers of English

Poll: "Driving while under the influence of alcohol" (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which combination would you use?

1. drink driving (6 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. drink-driving (2 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. drunk driving (21 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

4. drunk-driving (1 votes [2.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

5. drunken driving (3 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

6. drunken-driving (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. drinking and driving / drinking & driving (3 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

8. drinking-and-driving / drinking-&-driving (0 votes [0.00%])

9. another combination of to drink & "driving" (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-09, 12:45

Hi all,

I have a silly question to all native speakers of English. My son needs to learn at school the proper English phrase for "driving while under the infleunce of alcohol". It needs to contain "driving" in the continuous tense and some form of the verb "to drink".

Please pick how you would phrase that. I am also curious about the variation of English you speak (UK, US, CAN, AUS, NZ, etc.), so I would appreciate it if you would provide that information.

Obviously, this poll is inspired by the fact that I was quite surprised about what they are teaching my son, but since I am not a native speaker and heavily biased towards American Midwest English (but, no, I don't use the phrase "I should have went to game"), I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-09, 12:54

here's one poll i didn't get wrong

USA here
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-09, 12:58

Delete this one before the votes get split?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:01

View PostRMB1, on 2015-January-09, 12:58, said:

Delete this one before the votes get split?

Yep, done. Actually I merged them, not sure if that saves the votes as well but at least from now on it will be OK.

Edit: poll votes were merged too.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-January-09, 13:01

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:06

I think drink driving is the phrase we use here in England, and Wikipedia says that's the UK & Australian usage, but I see RMB1 has given a different answer. I could say his answer doesn't count because he doesn't drive, but then he might say mine doesn't count because I don't drink.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:10

The use of a hyphen in a verb phrase would be odd.

But there is little consistency in the use of hyphens; and a tendency for two-word phrases to migrate from two words, to hyphenated, to one word (with no hyphen or space).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:29

US: Half of my life in each metro New York and Atlanta, if that matters...

I have never heard the phrase "drink driving" and it would never occur to me to use it.

"Drunk driving" and "drinking and driving" are equally acceptable, and popular slogans include: "don't drink and drive" and "drinking and driving don't mix". Of course, in American English, the "--ing" words in the last phrase are called gerunds, and are treated as nouns, not as verbs. One influential lobbying group is called "Mothers Against Drunk Driving".

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-09, 13:29, said:

US: Half of my life in each metro New York and Atlanta, if that matters...

I have never heard the phrase "drink driving" and it would never occur to me to use it.

"Drunk driving" and "drinking and driving" are equally acceptable, and popular slogans include: "don't drink and drive" and "drinking and driving don't mix".

I am planning to summarize the results in a few days. I will interpret your post as half a vote for "drinking and driving" and half a vote for "drunk driving" for US English.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:38

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-09, 13:35, said:

I am planning to summarize the results in a few days. I will interpret your post as half a vote for "drinking and driving" and half a vote for "drunk driving" for US English.

Rik
That was what I intended. This poll might have been better in the "select all that apply" format.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 13:56

[quote name='Trinidad' timestamp='1420832154' post='828747']
/quote]
I was also split between those two, and wished for a multiple response poll.

#11 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-09, 14:16

View Postgordontd, on 2015-January-09, 13:06, said:

I think drink driving is the phrase we use here in England, and Wikipedia says that's the UK & Australian usage, but I see RMB1 has given a different answer.

I read the poll as what I say, not what is common usage.
Robin

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 14:22

BTW, a good resource for someone trying to learn English is English Language Learners. This is the sister site of English Language & Usage, which is for more esoteric discussion of English usage. E.g. an appropriate question on this topic for the second site would be how it came to be that Americans say "drunk driving" while Britons say "drink driving".

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-09, 14:54

Drunk driving or driving while drunk are the two I would use.

Drinking and driving is also acceptable, but I would use the first two primarily.

USA here.

#14 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 16:27

If "drunk" is part of the sentence I much prefer "driving while drunk" to "drunk driving" I am drunk, the driving isn't. But my choice from the list was "drinking and driving". I will explain:

Say that I have had 250 ml of red wine. The usual stuff, not port or sherry. I will not be drunk, not in the way that the term is used by most people. I won't be slurring my words or stumbling. But quite possibly my alcohol level in my blood will exceed the legal limit.

The law is that you cannot drive when your blood alcohol level is beyond a certain limit, and I think that it is best if everyone understands and accepts that that is the law. Whether or not you are drunk in the sense most people use the term is irrelevant.

I also think this is a very strange assignment. I would like it better if your son, after choosing, was asked to explain his choice. This would encourage him to think about phrasing..

To borrow from Auggie March on my origins "I am an American Minnesota born." (I think that's the way it begins, with Minnesota replaced by Chicago.)

Added: If we are choose between "drunk driving" and "drunken driving" I opt for whatever form is analogous to "carefu" or "careless", and I think that would be "drunken". But I much prefer "driving while drunk" to either of these.

Fwiw: My father never got involved with my schooling and my mother rarely did. But I recall a time when my mother decided that the teacher was wrong in the way she was presenting grammar. My mother was intelligent and capable, but she had had about a year and a half of high school some thirty plus years before tis confrontation took place. And confrontation was what it was. With me, not with the teacher. I still rcall the details. We were in Weber's Bar, my mother had been consuming, and she decided she had to set me straight about all the wrong things I was being taught.
To go to the opposite extreme, I knew Sergei Brin when he was a school child and I knew his father. His father taught his son that whatever the teacher said was correct, at least for the current school year. If the teacher said San Francisco was the capitol of California, then it was. Next year it could be Sacramento again. Or San Diego.
This seems to have worked.
Still one more: I used to joke around with thsi Japanes graduate student I knew. Once she told me she had to run off and tutor mathematics to this Japanese child that she knew. I said "I though all of you Japanese had mathematics ingrained in your DNA". "He is going to an American school" she replied.

So good luck!
Ken

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 16:47

View Postkenberg, on 2015-January-09, 16:27, said:

I also think this is a very strange assignment. I would like it better if your son, after choosing, was asked to explain his choice. This would encourage him to think about phrasing..

This is a misunderstanding. This is not part of an assignment. It is part of his English class. Each chapter in his English book (as a foreign language) has stories in English and a list of new words and phrases to the stories. He needs to look them up in a dictionary and will be tested on knowing them in the vocabulary tests.

He has found this nice little website to train his vocabulary: You can upload lists of words with their translations, and the website is quizzing you. So, I just happened to see that the website was prompting him for the English translation of "rijden onder invloed". He typed an answer and was about to hit the "enter key" when I asked him: "Are you sure?" because I was sure he made a typo. He laughed and said that his mother had said exactly the same thing, but that this was what the book said. And when he saw my face, he showed it to me right there!

So, my poll is really an idiot check on my (and my wife's) knowledge of English.

Rik

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 16:54

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-09, 13:56, said:

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-09, 13:35, said:

I was also split between those two, and wished for a multiple response poll.

I am a fan of the Dutch democratic system. ;) This means that everybody gets exactly one vote and everybody's voting power is equal to that of all other voters. You can split your votes anyway you like by posting them, and I will divide them into two, three or four if needed when I make a final tally.

Rik

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-09, 17:52

Having lived in both the UK and the USA, I have noted the difference in usage; that is, drink driving in the UK and drunk driving in the US. In both places drinking and driving is also used.

EDIT: I almost forgot that "drive drunk" is also used in the US, such as in the slogan "Friends don't let friends drive drunk" or in a sentence such as I've never driven drunk in my life. I don't know whether this is used in the UK but I think that "driving whilst drunk" is sometimes used.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-January-09, 18:03

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-09, 16:47, said:

This is a misunderstanding. This is not part of an assignment. It is part of his English class. Each chapter in his English book (as a foreign language) has stories in English and a list of new words and phrases to the stories. He needs to look them up in a dictionary and will be tested on knowing them in the vocabulary tests.

He has found this nice little website to train his vocabulary: You can upload lists of words with their translations, and the website is quizzing you. So, I just happened to see that the website was prompting him for the English translation of "rijden onder invloed". He typed an answer and was about to hit the "enter key" when I asked him: "Are you sure?" because I was sure he made a typo. He laughed and said that his mother had said exactly the same thing, but that this was what the book said. And when he saw my face, he showed it to me right there!

So, my poll is really an idiot check on my (and my wife's) knowledge of English.

Rik

You mentioned you were not so happy with what he is being taught. Could you give details? I am guessing that "rijden onder invloed" translates fiarly literally to "driving under the infuence". I would hate to see that marked wrong.

In college I took reading German. We read these little stories and translated them. It was long ago so I don't recall the exact German phrase but the story was about a ship that was sunk. The literal translation from the German was "went under" and I translated it that way. This was marked wrong. "Sank" was right. I really hate this sort of thing. Who gives a whatever whether the ship sank or went under? He said he would have accepted "went down".

I have learned about "lie" and "lay" and "who" and "whom" so I don't sound like too much of a rube but I really hope that a large number of reasonable choices for the translations of "rijden onder invloed" would all be acceptable.
Ken

#19 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-09, 20:00

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-09, 17:52, said:

... but I think that "driving whilst drunk" is sometimes used.
"whilst" is not a word on this side of the pond.

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-09, 20:06

View Postkenberg, on 2015-January-09, 18:03, said:

I am guessing that "rijden onder invloed" translates fiarly literally to "driving under the influence". I would hate to see that marked wrong.
Agreed. Both "DUI" (driving under the influence) and "DWI" (driving while intoxicated) are completely acceptable terms; there's no need to specifically use any form of "to drink".

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users