Page 1 of 1

Any Chance of Overtrick?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-08, 13:32

The lead is jack of clubs trumps split 1-1

is there any chance for an overtrick or do we just concede the ace of diamonds? (it's Matchpoints)

for N/B :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-08, 15:00

if dummy had better trump spots there's a pretty remote chance, but as it is i don't see anything legit
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 15:06

I'd try leading the DJ. Maybe LHO has the ace but not the ten and thinks you have a guess in the suit. In fact I would have tried that at trick two, so the opponents don't have a chance to signal if trumps are 2-0.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-08, 15:47

There is no legitimate chance for an overtrick. However, there is a good illegitimate chance for an overtrick.

If there was an entry to dummy outside of the K (say, a higher trump spot) so that you could cash the clubs, there would be a legitimate squeeze if one opponent has the A and 6+ hearts. But we can still play like that is the case, and run all of the tricks. Who knows? The opps may think they are being squeezed and each of them (or one, if the hearts are 6-2 or worse) throw one heart too many.

Realistically, you could try to sneak a diamond through after one round of trump, before LHO realizes that you have all of the tricks except for a diamond. You do have 12 tricks outside of diamonds. Leading the J out of hand has a chance of working.

[Unlucky you didn't find the 6NT contract]

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 16:40

Either run the jack of diamonds, or after drawing trumps, cross to the king of hearts to cash 2 clubs throwing the QJ of diamonds and then running all your tricks, maybe someone has the queen of hearts and the ace of diamonds and decides to throw the diamond after seeing you throw 2 honours.

Having said that, a simple count signal on the hearts will clarify that for the defence.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-January-08, 19:14

After A, all trumps discarting all diamonds then 9 for K, top clubs pitching Q5 of diamonds ..(Lovera)

#7 User is offline   vinchy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-17, 19:23

Most people at my level, including my current partner, would probably concede, I wouldn't.

There is that small chance, and even if it gains nothing, it makes the opponents more wary of my play in subsequent hands.

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-17, 19:28

can try running the J but thi is useless in a strong game

View Postvinchy, on 2015-January-17, 19:23, said:

Most people at my level, including my current partner, would probably concede, I wouldn't.

There is that small chance, and even if it gains nothing, it makes the opponents more wary of my play in subsequent hands.

No you can try running the J but this is useless in a strong game.. Obvious claim.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users