BBO Discussion Forums: BBF pros derail - username debate - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF pros derail - username debate split from jinksy's BBF Pros Thread

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 19:34

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 18:37, said:

[size="2"]Now I learnt that in English language those are slightly different two things. It is scary though, since official language in USA is English, and the difference between these two in the eye of law are not so slight.

Correct. The difference in a post in a bridge forum is very little, whereas in real life, well, it's actions that count, not words.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-07, 00:26

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-06, 11:39, said:

I think Greenman's "he needed killin'" is somewhat facetious. There's almost certainly nothing in Texas law that permits vigilanteism like this. It's more of a reflection of their "wild west" heritage and cowboy mentality (hence the "country" pronunciation).

Indeed, and I only feel I can take the liberty of playing with the stereotypes because I lived in Texas for 12 years (and liked it there).
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#43 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 03:43

This seems like a good time to state the following:

I am not aware of any offensive, racist or derogatory meaning of the word, name or, when broken up in smaller pieces, phrase "Trinidad" in any language.
I also want to state that I am not a "tiny dad" with poor spelling skills. I am a dad, and not the tallest around, but Trinidad was chosen before my children were born and I am under the impression that my spelling skills are adequate.
I apologize to the good people of Trinidad, as well as Tobago, since it is often linked to Trinidad, for somehow being associated with all the drivel that I write on BBF and the poor plays I make, have ever made or will make in the future on BBO. I realize fully that they have no control over my actions. I can only hope that the few times that I do something sensible will shine brightly on these good people. I pledge that I will try to honor the people of Trinidad by using this login name, in the sad knowledge that I will fail some of the time.

Best regards,

Rik (which I hope doesn't mean anything offensive....)
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#44 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 11:55

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-07, 03:43, said:

Rik (which I hope doesn't mean anything offensive....)

According to the urban dictionary, Rik means rikshaw or party. Probably not very offensive. Acronymfinder cannot suggest anything more prophane than "radio installation kit" so it looks like your parents found an unusually innocent name for you. I would think it would be difficult to make a three-letter-word that is not an acronym of anything dubious.

"Helene" is not that bad either. Similar to "Diana" and "Eva", probably most female names means "beautiful" or some such.

A "hog" is a penis hanging out of a guy's boxer shorts. Dunno if that offends anyone.

"Ace" mean asexual so that is probably super non-offensive.

The article about "Vampyr" defines it as "It's a douchebag of a saying made by a douchebag of a blackanese* manwhore.". A blackanese is a black person who wishes he were Asian. I am not sure how to read that but probably it could somehow be offensive to some.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-07, 12:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-07, 11:55, said:

"Helene" is not that bad either. Similar to "Diana" and "Eva", probably most female names means "beautiful" or some such.

"Helene" seems to come from Helen of Greek Mythology. It either refers to the Sun or St. Elmo's Fire, etymologists aren't sure. It could also be related to Selene, which means the Moon.

All of these are considered pretty beautiful.

#46 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-07, 13:01

Rik also means rich in Swedish (and Norwegian it seems) - I took great offence at Trinidad lording his finincial status over me! :lol: Continuing the Scandinavian theme, hög seems to be high in Swedish and lene is leans or reclines in Norwegian - so obviously all the men should be offended that Helene is treating them as sex objects! :blink: :ph34r: :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

#47 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-07, 17:01

This is all very interesting, but do not forget that "wank" is here being used by an English speaker and has no other meaning in English,
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#48 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 17:26

BBF INVESTIGATION: [obviously provocative username] CHOSEN INTENTIONALLY! THE WORLD REACTS IN SHOCK AND HORROR!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#49 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-07, 17:38

View Postcherdano, on 2015-January-07, 17:26, said:

BBF INVESTIGATION: [obviously provocative username] CHOSEN INTENTIONALLY! THE WORLD REACTS IN SHOCK AND HORROR!

The truth is out! Maybe we shd feature this in BBO News. Looks like a hot headline.

#50 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-07, 17:50

View Postcherdano, on 2015-January-07, 17:26, said:

Follow this thread for breaking details! More News at 11!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#51 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-January-07, 18:11

Names can be fun.

"Ken" is indicative of intelligence, and "Berg" means mountain. My middle name is Dick.

My older daughter is named Ruth, a name we chose because we liked it. In college she was dating a Jewish kid whose mother was thrilled that her son was dating someone named Ruth Berg. Then he brought her to meet mom. "Son, are you sure she is Jewish?".

My father's name, before he came through Ellis Island, was Anton Perekovic. I can't tell you anything about that one, including how he became Thomas Berg. I once went to a genealogy class where they were going to demonstrate their ability to track someone. They came up empty in tracing my father. Someone suggested trying the witness protection program.

I once knew a girl named Marjorie May. I think she got very tired of explaining that she also may not.
Ken

#52 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 02:12

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-07, 17:01, said:

This is all very interesting, but do not forget that "wank" is here being used by an English speaker and has no other meaning in English,

Online dictionaries include meanings such as "A detestable person" and "bad, useless, or worthless". But I'll add that I don't agree that words relating to sex and sexuality are automatically offensive. And I think recent news events from Paris are worth thinking about with respect to offense, and I'll note that I don't think we should constrain ourselves to never offend anyone anywhere (see this onion article). On the other hand, certain type of offensive behavior the wider community agrees is offensive and definitely should be treated with hostility and moderator action (racist material, sexist material, etc.).

#53 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 02:29

Don't worry I hate you all
The artist formerly known as jlall

#54 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 04:07

Now that I think about it, there is nothing I find more offensive than partner doing a PHANTOM SACrifice for no reason. Get it? PHANTOMSAC!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#55 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 06:13

View Postcherdano, on 2015-January-08, 04:07, said:

Now that I think about it, there is nothing I find more offensive than partner doing a PHANTOM SACrifice for no reason.

D*mn! I was going to post exactly this comment when I saw Phantomsac had posted to this thread, and then I got distracted by having to do some work. Now I find someone else has got there first. :(

#56 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-January-08, 07:30

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-07, 17:01, said:

Except for regionalisms. In much of the southern US, it means "to close one eye briefly."
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#57 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-January-08, 07:38

View Postkenberg, on 2015-January-07, 18:11, said:

Names can be fun.

"Ken" is indicative of intelligence, and "Berg" means mountain. My middle name is Dick.

My older daughter is named Ruth, a name we chose because we liked it. In college she was dating a Jewish kid whose mother was thrilled that her son was dating someone named Ruth Berg. Then he brought her to meet mom. "Son, are you sure she is Jewish?".

My father's name, before he came through Ellis Island, was Anton Perekovic. I can't tell you anything about that one, including how he became Thomas Berg. I once went to a genealogy class where they were going to demonstrate their ability to track someone. They came up empty in tracing my father. Someone suggested trying the witness protection program.

I once knew a girl named Marjorie May. I think she got very tired of explaining that she also may not.

A classmate of my dad's was named Helen Howell. One day the principal announced at the end of assembly, "If anyone has lost a Waterman fountain pen, you can go to Helen Howell for it."
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#58 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-08, 08:49

View PostPassedOut, on 2015-January-08, 07:38, said:

A classmate of my dad's was named Helen Howell. One day the principal announced at the end of assembly, "If anyone has lost a Waterman fountain pen, you can go to Helen Howell for it."

Good job she wasn't Helen Wank then. :D
(-: Zel :-)

#59 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 09:42

View PostMbodell, on 2015-January-08, 02:12, said:

Online dictionaries include meanings such as "A detestable person" and "bad, useless, or worthless". But I'll add that I don't agree that words relating to sex and sexuality are automatically offensive. And I think recent news events from Paris are worth thinking about with respect to offense, and I'll note that I don't think we should constrain ourselves to never offend anyone anywhere (see this onion article). On the other hand, certain type of offensive behavior the wider community agrees is offensive and definitely should be treated with hostility and moderator action (racist material, sexist material, etc.).

I'm pretty certain the onion is referencing a previous article/image that was hilarious and super offensive with this new article, and if so i think this new article is pretty hilariously offensive too if its purpose is to remind readers of their previous article.

I won't link the previous article here for obvious reasons, but if you want to search for it the article is "No One Murdered Because Of This Image". It's very NSFW so search at your own risk.
OK
bed

#60 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 11:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-07, 13:01, said:

Rik also means rich in Swedish (and Norwegian it seems)

I knew that. We have been living in Sweden for 7 years. I often used it when I told people how to spell my first name. I must have tried it a hundred times, at least. Not once did they manage to spell it correctly.

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-07, 13:01, said:

I took great offence at Trinidad lording his finincial status over me!

I apologize. But just like with everything else that is wrong with me: I blame my parents.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users