BBO Discussion Forums: BBF pros derail - username debate - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF pros derail - username debate split from jinksy's BBF Pros Thread

#21 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-05, 13:15

For ages I thought wank was Chinese :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#22 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 13:35

Surprising for me, that neither the village of Aberlour, nor same named destillery did not sue me for compensation... for destroying their excellent image by my bad play in last 15y on BBO ;)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 13:54

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-05, 08:22, said:

I will never understand how anyone can take offense from someone using a word that among other things refers to masturbation. Which other verbs are offensive? To breath, to eat and to sleep maybe?

OK, we all do it, but is it something we normally discuss (or do in front of) strangers? Anyway, maybe it is just the sort of thing that children often do, saying bad words to try to provoke a reaction.

View Postmikes, on 2015-January-05, 13:13, said:

As for the gratuitous, sexist insult, and I think I know the reference, that imo is intolerable and ought to be met by a combination of a suspension coupled with the requirement for a full and acceptable apology before reinstatement.

I never understood why nothing at all was done about this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-January-05, 18:44

View Postthearb, on 2015-January-03, 19:03, said:

Am I the only one to find 'wank' an offensive login? Where are the guidelines on this. What's to stop me creating f*** or even c***. Where is the line drawn on this, is BBO sending the wrong message on what is acceptable behaviour to the younger generation?

sorry to pour cold water on your argument but Flannery and Cappeletti are already bbo usernames
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 10:41

View Postmikeh, on 2015-January-05, 13:13, said:

As for the gratuitous, sexist insult, and I think I know the reference, that imo is intolerable and ought to be met by a combination of a suspension coupled with the requirement for a full and acceptable apology before reinstatement.

Recently (in last 1-2 years) in Texas, a drunk driver slammed into another car. Killing two kids at the age of 11 and 9 (I may not be % 100 accurate about the ages but was something like that) Father of the kids were in the car as well. Father walked about 2-3 blocks to his home. Took his revolver, came back to the accident scene and killed the guy with 2 shots in the head and walked away. Later he was arrested. This was obviously a murder, arguably premeditated. Jury found the guy NOT GUILTY! And the prosecutors did not even pursue an appeal. Everyone knew that this was a murder. They all just let it slide.

I am not sure whether the mods have taken the right action or not against the referred sexist insult. But I know very well that I won't be the one to pursue justice for it. I would let it slide if it was up to me. I know this is wrong. But it also feels so right to be wrong sometimes. I am not saying this is what we should be doing. I am just saying how I feel about it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 10:48

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 10:41, said:

Recently (in last 1-2 years) in Texas, a drunk driver slammed into another car. Killing two kids at the age of 11 and 9 (I may not be % 100 accurate about the ages but was something like that) Father of the kids were in the car as well. Father walked about 2-3 blocks to his home. Took his revolver, came back to the accident scene and killed the guy with 2 shots in the head and walked away. Later he was arrested. This was obviously a murder, arguably premeditated. Jury found the guy NOT GUILTY! And the prosecutors did not even pursue an appeal. Everyone knew that this was a murder. They all just let it go.

In my circles we say, not entirely unseriously, that "He needed killin'" is a positive defense in Texas.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 11:04

View PostGreenMan, on 2015-January-06, 10:48, said:

In my circles we say, not entirely unseriously, that "He needed killin'" is a positive defense in Texas.

Can you explain this please?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 11:16

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 11:04, said:

Can you explain this please?

A "positive defense" or "affirmative defense" is basically a justification or circumstance that precludes legal repercussions -- surely the lawyers here could explain it better. E.g., if you're accused of defamation for something you publish, in the U.S. it's a positive defense to show that what you published was true. (This is not true in all countries of course.)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#29 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 11:22

View PostGreenMan, on 2015-January-06, 11:16, said:

A "positive defense" or "affirmative defense" is basically a justification or circumstance that precludes legal repercussions -- surely the lawyers here could explain it better. E.g., if you're accused of defamation for something you publish, in the U.S. it's a positive defense to show that what you published was true. (This is not true in all countries of course.)

Ok thank you.

To me this was a textbook example of "taking the law in your own hands" rather than "positive defense". It was not like the guy was trying to run away from the scene or something like that which would make you believe that he would get away with it. That was not the case, It was a matter of time for the cops to show up and he would be arrested and the system would take its course. Father did not wait. I would not either.

#30 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-06, 11:39

I think Greenman's "he needed killin'" is somewhat facetious. There's almost certainly nothing in Texas law that permits vigilanteism like this. It's more of a reflection of their "wild west" heritage and cowboy mentality (hence the "country" pronunciation).

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:38

Mr Ace, in post #25 said some very weird off-to pic stuff, perhaps implying that the recipient of the insult had done something wrong. Or something.

That did not happen, though.

Mr Ace did at one point join in Hrothgar's feeling that he would get sexual satisfaction from abusing me, just by the way. LOL I don't even know these people!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#32 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:49

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-06, 13:38, said:

This did not happen, though.

Can you please show me where I said this? You are putting words in my mouth that I did not say. But I will give you the benefit of doubt and take it as your intention was to quote someone else and made a typo in quoting. Otoh I could not find any reply that says "Weird stuff, perhaps implying that the recipient of the insult had done something wrong?"

#33 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:53

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 13:49, said:

You are quoting the wrong person.

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Should have used <>. Fixed now.

#34 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 14:08

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-06, 13:53, said:

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Should have used <>. Fixed now.

Ok, I still think you are using the quotation function wrong. It still says "MrAce said" at the top of the box, something that I did not say. You should not be using quotation function for your interpretation or summary or main point of what I said. But no big deal, I know you did not intend any harm.

#35 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-06, 15:33

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 14:08, said:

Ok, I still think you are using the quotation function wrong. It still says "MrAce said" at the top of the box, something that I did not say. You should not be using quotation function for your interpretation or summary or main point of what I said. But no big deal, I know you did not intend any harm.

No, I didn't, and I'll fix it again!

#36 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 15:54

Mr Ace did at one point join in Hrothgar's feeling that he would get sexual satisfaction from abusing me, just by the way. LOL I don't even know these people!

Please show me where I said that. This is when you should be using quotation btw, as well as providing a link.

#37 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-06, 16:09

He didn't say that. I'll PM you and Timo the relevant quotes, links and all and you two take this stuff privately pls. I realize this is a discussion about wank and it may be seen as related, but still...

#38 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 16:12

Thanks Diana.

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-06, 17:42

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-06, 15:54, said:

Please show me where I said that. This is when you should be using quotation btw, as well as providing a link.

OK, I was slightly incorrect. You agreed with another poster that I was the one seeking sexual satisfaction. If you think that makes a difference, whatever. I am so bored with this discussion I could cry.

#40 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-06, 18:37

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-06, 17:42, said:

OK, I was slightly incorrect. You agreed with another poster that I was the one seeking sexual satisfaction. If you think that makes a difference, whatever. I am so bored with this discussion I could cry.

You know English is not my first language and I thought there was a huge difference between this

and agreeing to someone who said a lot of things, in one of too many things he said, he told you seek sexual satisfaction.

Now I learnt that in English language those are slightly different two things. It is scary though, since official language in USA is English, and the difference between these two in the eye of law are not so slight. One of them can possibly get a "sex offender" sign on my house door, while other one has no such consequences.

Thanks for the correction.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users