BBO Discussion Forums: opener 1NT rebid with singleton. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

opener 1NT rebid with singleton. database query.

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-January-04, 15:47

Im wondering about the results for

1C-1S-1NT vs

1D-1S-2C or 1C-1S-2C.

It seem it would be easy to check this on a database.

I dont systematically rebid 1NT with a stiff I do it only when my minors are poor. Its not because I know whats best its simply because i didnt feel I had a lot of troubles after 1D-1S-2C.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 17:54

I don't have the functionality to do it on my database, but maybe soon.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-05, 09:05

No database here, but I've been opening 1NT on 4441s with strong singleton (AKQ) on a regular basis for a long time. I can't remember any disaster.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-05, 09:25

I will relate to you my experience with this.

For many years, if I held a 5 card major suit as responder, and the auction began 1m - 1M - 1NT, I would rebid my major suit. This usually resulted in playing 2 of a major in a 5-2 or 5-3 fit, and was often better than 1NT. Partner never had a singleton in my major suit, and would have 3 card support often enough that it would be a mistake to pass 1NT. And many times the 5-2 fits played better than 1NT.

However, there is more of a tendency today to raise responder's major suit response on 3 card support and there is more of a tendency today to rebid 1NT with a singleton in responder's major. These factors have led to me changing my style so that now I pass the 1NT rebid almost all of the time when I hold a 5 card major (exception - a hand with something like KQJTx of the major with nothing outside).

I don't know if I should be alerting this. So far, I consider it to be just bridge. Perhaps others have an opinion on this.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 09:54

ArtK78, on 2015-January-05, 09:25, said:

For many years, if I held a 5 card major suit as responder, and the auction began 1m - 1M - 1NT, I would rebid my major suit. This usually resulted in playing 2 of a major in a 5-2 or 5-3 fit, and was often better than 1NT. Partner never had a singleton in my major suit, and would have 3 card support often enough that it would be a mistake to pass 1NT. And many times the 5-2 fits played better than 1NT.
Perhaps others have an opinion on this.

This has continued to be our position because we still don't rebid 1NT with a singleton, and won't raise the Major with 3 when balanced. Our opinion of the results is positive.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-January-05, 13:51

These factors have led to me changing my style so that now I pass the 1NT rebid almost all of the time when I hold a 5 card major
Good point, I feel rebidding 2M on 5 is good at MP but im not sure its working in imps. It mean that we must also check 1m-1M-1Nt-2M vs 1m-1M-1NT.

I dont really know if more and more offshapes hands (like 2236 or 2254) favor 1NT or 2M. The 5-2 become way more frequent than a 5-3 but its a 5-2 with ruffing potential.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users