BBO Discussion Forums: "Feeling lucky, punk?" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Feeling lucky, punk?"

Poll: "Feeling lucky, punk?" (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid?

1. Dbl (take out) (15 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. 4C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. pass (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-04, 07:44

MPs. Adv/expert field.

3 = pree.

yay or nay?

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 11:25

Dbl. They're unlikely to be able to penalise us if it goes wrong, and 2 down undoubled in hearts beats their 3. If the latter isn't making, hopefully partner will spot the green card among his useful ones.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-10, 12:18

Dbl is right. You will find pard with

T64
A8
T973

and he will bid 4, which makes.

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-10, 23:21

I'm assuming the given hand is actually East? Assuming this is the case, I like double based on the vulnerability.

FWIW I don't think partner can hold [T64 A8 T973 9852] because they would have raised to 2D.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-11, 04:05

Yes, it's East. Damn script keeps confusing me.. lol.

Part didn't raise to 2 because 1 could be 3 cards.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 20:07

we cant expect much from p (knowing they do not have a spade stack)
so the opps look like reasonable favorites to make 3s soooooooooooo
we gamble some hoping our negative is less than 3s making and who know
maybe we will even make something.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-12, 22:49

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-11, 04:05, said:

Your partner and you need to adjust your thinking about competitive bidding.

In constructive bidding, you bid based on what your partner has promised. That means that, if the opponents had passed, your partner would have passed 1*.

In competitive bidding, this changes. Now you don't have the time to figure out accurately what partner has. You will have to sacrifice some of the accuracy, because you urgently need to tell partner what he needs to know, before it's too late. That means that you base your bidding on what partner is expected to have.

Of course, opener might have a 4=4=3=2 distribution, with only 3 diamonds, but that is an exception. Responder expects opener to have 4 diamonds or more. Responder needs to tell opener immediately that he likes diamonds (and doesn't like the opponents' spades), before it's too late and the opponents have taken over the auction (as happened here when responder made the mistake of passing).

Since responder expects that there is a diamond fit, responder expects that the opponents also have a fit. That means that responder can foresee that the opponents will jam the auction and he can foresee that if he wants to show that he likes diamonds it is going to be "now or never", so he'd better do it now.

Rik

*Personnally, I would have made a preemptive raise to 3 if the opponents had passed, anticipating competitive bidding, describing my hand as 0-6 with diamond support and making it "too late" for the opponents. Of course, you can only do that if you have agreed that a raise to 3 is preemptive.
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-13, 05:37

Thanks, but I already knew all of that.

Actually, the given problem was the situation opponents faced. I was the one who bid 1.

For the record, *I* might have bid 2 with Txx Ax T9xx xxxx. But I would never bid 3. That's a fine bid if you're playing precision with 4-card diamonds, as in that case opponents rate to have game on, but playing 2/1 or so it's too destructive. In fact, I would go as far as calling it reckless (no offense, just my opinion).

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-13, 06:02

I prefer to bid 3 than 2, I want 2 to be constructive but its just a style issue.

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 03:19

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-13, 05:37, said:

But I would never bid 3. That's a fine bid if you're playing precision with 4-card diamonds, as in that case opponents rate to have game on, but playing 2/1 or so it's too destructive. In fact, I would go as far as calling it reckless (no offense, just my opinion).

It is a matter of style and partnership agreement.

We have defined 1m-Pass-3m as: Opener is not allowed to bid 3NT with a 19 point balanced hand, because it won't make. (Of course, he is allowed to bid 3NT on: Kx Ax AKxxxxx Ax.)

Yes, that is destructive. But it is also very descriptive, so it doesn't get in the way of constructive bidding. Opener knows what to do and we are in a fit at the three level (which could occasionally be a 3-4 fit).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:46

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-11, 04:05, said:

My partner is a master at raising my minor suit with 4 pieces and I'm getting much better at it. Winning strategy by and large and you will soon find out when NOT to do it ie. less than 3 spades in your own hand.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users