#1 User is offline   luckyloser 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-04, 05:26

J65
AQT76
J98
K6

is your hand at MP with none vul. you play sayc (more or less). you elect to open first in hand with 1, p responds 1nt, rho intervenes with 2 and you face this decision soon:

1-p-1NT-2
p-p-DBL-p
?

What do you know about partners hand and what the hell does his dbl mean? Most of all what do you bid (and what not)?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-04, 05:36

View Postluckyloser, on 2015-January-04, 05:26, said:

J65
AQT76
J98
K6

is your hand at MP with none vul. you play sayc (more or less). you elect to open first in hand with 1, p responds 1nt, rho intervenes with 2 and you face this decision soon:

1-p-1NT-2
p-p-DBL-p
?

What do you know about partners hand and what the hell does his dbl mean? Most of all what do you bid (and what not)?

Hi

It is the purest penalty offering dbl ever imho.

- Pd denied 4 card spades already so that dbl is not for spades.
- Pd obviously don't have support,
- Pd could easily bid diamonds, over 2, had he hold them.
- Pd did not even make an attempt to play 5-2 fit at 2 level with an ambiguous hand.

Guess what is left? Penalty double. He may have doubled for showing max of a NT bid without 4 card spades, without 3 hearts, without 6 card or decent 5 card diamonds especially when his clubs are weak. Even with a maximal double (whit which he could have chosen to pass it out or may have chosen to play for a 5-2 fit if he had one and especially if he is not sure what dbl would be) sitting on double seems more attractive than bidding anything with my hand. I do not think of any logical alternative to pass tbh.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-04, 05:42

Timo's reasoning is correct, although I you can also play it as "optional" (max in context, defensive hand, probably 1-2 trump trick(s), nothing better to bid. E.g. KTx Jx Qxxx KJxx).

In absence of agreements I would take it as "this contract suits me fine".

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 05:52

3253, offering opener a choice between 2 and defending, is a possible meaning, but Timo is right.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   luckyloser 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-04, 06:53

thx, this is my opinion too. surely this dbl does not offer or . if it is a pure penalty or an optional dbl with and is open. both bids (pass or 2) would have led to a top. the actual bid (2) forced p to bid 3 which could not be made.
this was ps hand:

A23
AT567
JT56

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users