• You cannot reply to this topic

Do you have a LA?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:15

Before you can chose an opening lead, partner asks "what was 5 clubs?" (edited, many times)

Are you restricted, do you have a LA?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:20

I don't think I'm restricted, but that's assuming partner was awake enough to X 5 if he really wanted the lead.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:25

If I have chosen my lead and am in the process of putting it face down on the table, I will continue with that motion, ignoring whatever partner asked.

If I'm still thinking about what to lead, now I have to consider Law 16, so partner and I are going to have a talk after the round if there's time, or after the session, whatever the outcome of the hand.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:29

Sorry, sorry, being too smart, too quick. OP should read "before you have time to chose your opening lead, partner asks what 5 is"
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:29

View PostTylerE, on 2015-January-02, 19:20, said:

I don't think I'm restricted, but that's assuming partner was awake enough to X 5 if he really wanted the lead.
If it's your lead, you are North, and only you had the opportunity to double 5.

Don't we have to see the North hand to determine what logical alternatives may or may not exist for leading from that hand?

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:32

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-02, 19:29, said:

If it's your lead, you are North, and only you had the opportunity to double 5.

Don't we have to see the North hand to determine what logical alternatives may or may not exist for leading from that hand?

It's your lead, you are South and I will correct the OP again
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 20:50

I think that any card but a trump is an LA, and I will disallow a club.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 22:29

I'm somewhat confused here. The auction isn't finished yet, but if it does end in 6H, we're not on lead.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-02, 22:39

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-January-02, 22:29, said:

I'm somewhat confused here. The auction isn't finished yet, but if it does end in 6H, we're not on lead.

Ah right. I had read in another post that the diagram was fixed and we were on lead, but I can see one that this is not the case.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-03, 01:09

The auction and direction are correct now :)
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-03, 02:44

North had no lead directing double of 5 available. Instead he uses lead directing questions before South has selected his opening lead.

The Director should not prohibit a Club lead, but he shall stand ready to award an assigned adjusted score if the Club lead turns out successful. (Read Law 16C carefully!)

#12 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-03, 03:19

The timing of partner's question is illegal and he should know so.
If partner wants a club lead then this appears to be an illegal attempt to communicate.
I would consider a procedural penalty - even if there is also an adjustment for use of unauthorised information.

[ I did write "under Law 16B" instead of "for use of unauthorised information" but jillybean's TDs do not do law numbers :) ]
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-January-03, 03:26

View Postpran, on 2015-January-03, 02:44, said:

North had no lead directing double of 5 available. Instead he uses lead directing questions before South has selected his opening lead.

The Director should not prohibit a Club lead, but he shall stand ready to award an assigned adjusted score if the Club lead turns out successful. (Read Law 16C carefully!)

I agree with the advice to read the laws carefully, but wouldn't it be better to read the law that actually applies to this situation?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-January-03, 03:39

The obvious reason for partner's question is that he wants to know how many key cards declarer has shown. I'm surprised that people think that the question shows something in clubs, but perhaps I don't play in the right sort of games.

As West, I would assume that my partner had committed the comparatively minor infraction of asking a legitimate question at the wrong time, rather than a gross and extremely clumsy attempt to cheat. Hence I would assume I had no meaningful UI, and was not constrained.

As a director called upon to rule, I would examine East's hand, and ask him why he asked the question when he asked it. Then I'd decide whether his question actually pertained to the club suit or not, and rule accordingly.

It's not (yet) relevant, but I think A lead is automatic.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-03, 04:59

View Postgnasher, on 2015-January-03, 03:26, said:

I agree with the advice to read the laws carefully, but wouldn't it be better to read the law that actually applies to this situation?

To the players - of course.

But my point was that the Director must not (for instance) forbid the lead of a Club, and my advice to read Law 16C carefully was for the Director to familiarize himself with correct procedures in situations like this.

#16 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-03, 05:05

View Postpran, on 2015-January-03, 04:59, said:

..., and my advice to read Law 16C carefully was for the Director to familiarize himself with correct procedures in situations like this.

I think gnasher may not think 16C is the correct law to be reading, I think Law 16B and Law 73C are more appropriate.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-03, 05:09

View Postgnasher, on 2015-January-03, 03:39, said:

The obvious reason for partner's question is that he wants to know how many key cards declarer has shown. I'm surprised that people think that the question shows something in clubs, but perhaps I don't play in the right sort of games.

As West, I would assume that my partner had committed the comparatively minor infraction of asking a legitimate question at the wrong time, rather than a gross and extremely clumsy attempt to cheat. Hence I would assume I had no meaningful UI, and was not constrained.

As a director called upon to rule, I would examine East's hand, and ask him why he asked the question when he asked it. Then I'd decide whether his question actually pertained to the club suit or not, and rule accordingly.

It's not (yet) relevant, but I think A lead is automatic.

An equally obvious reason for partner's question at this time is drawing particular attention to the club suit. We need not say that he actually did, the point is that he could have.

But we don't know until after the board has been played enough to make a ruling.

And it is highly improper for the Director to examine any player's cards at this time and then say anything that can be understood as a ruling or an advice.

The moment you do any such thing you lay yourself wide open for having destroyed the board beyond the possibility of any normal play, resulting in a Law 82C ruling (Director's error) and Ave+ to each side.

#18 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-03, 05:13

View PostRMB1, on 2015-January-03, 05:05, said:

I think gnasher may not think 16C is the correct law to be reading, I think Law 16B and Law 73C are more appropriate.

I was fully aware of that and my reference to Law 16C was not for this Law to be read out to the players but for the Director to be aware of the correct procedure.

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-January-03, 06:40

View Postpran, on 2015-January-03, 05:09, said:

An equally obvious reason for partner's question at this time is drawing particular attention to the club suit. We need not say that he actually did, the point is that he could have.

Well it may be obvious to you, but it wouldn't even occur to me. Mind you, I've noticed before that you and I seem to play our bridge on different planets.

But we don't know until after the board has been played enough to make a ruling.

And it is highly improper for the Director to examine any player's cards at this time and then say anything that can be understood as a ruling or an advice.

The moment you do any such thing you lay yourself wide open for having destroyed the board beyond the possibility of any normal play, resulting in a Law 82C ruling (Director's error) and Ave+ to each side.

When I said "As a director called upon to rule", I was talking about how I'd rule on West's action after he had made it, that is after the hand was over. Sorry if that was unclear.

If West asked me for advice before leading, I'd explain what the rules say about UI. If someone asked me for a ruling about an action which hadn't yet taken place, I'd look at him blankly.

#20 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-January-03, 06:57

View Postgnasher, on 2015-January-03, 06:40, said:

When I said "As a director called upon to rule", I was talking about how I'd rule on West's action after he had made it, that is after the hand was over. Sorry if that was unclear.

If West asked me for advice before leading, I'd explain what the rules say about UI. If someone asked me for a ruling about an action which hadn't yet taken place, I'd look at him blankly.

Good!

(For a moment I was kind of scared)

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users