BBO Discussion Forums: Thread for Michael000 only - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thread for Michael000 only Bid a good slam and stay out of a bad one.

#21 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-03, 12:26

Further to the above, you are indeed safe in the slam if north's heart cue was based on a shortage. Depending on your 2NT agreements you could find this out before cue bidding.

#22 User is offline   Michael000 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Golf, Bridge, Alcohol

Posted 2015-January-04, 03:08

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-January-03, 12:11, said:

Yes, yes, and yes. The bidding with cue bids?

Looks like you need another convention, an immediate response which shows game forcing 4 card spade support. Most people play a version of "Jacoby 2NT". Start with 1 2NT and then you know what suit you will end up in, and at least in game, but the continuations after 2NT need careful agreement. As North, I would rebid a cheap 3 to show a minimum 12-14 hand with no void but possibly with any suit singleton.

Thanks for the helpful explanation and an answer (Jacoby) to a question I had previously asked on how to show strength. I believed that one would need some way of indicating slam interest/showing strength and at my rudimentary level of the game that was a jump shift bid. I presume Jacoby is preferred because it takes up less bidding space . . . I'll look it up and do some reading.

#23 User is offline   Michael000 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf, Bridge, Alcohol

Posted 2015-January-04, 04:03

I looked up Jacoby 2NT (which appears primarily of use to those playing 5cm) and that led me onto Splinters and that threw up more questions which ordinarily (on any ordinary Forum (a Forum being a place to discuss and exchange information)) I would have simply asked but having got to the stage where I am having to carefully think through everything I post for fear of irritating those here who believe they are breathing are more rarefied air than the rest of us mortals I'll ask elsewhere.

Thanks for the 'helpful' posts

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-04, 04:22

Not everyone is irritated. It is good to have people ask questions
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#25 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 04:39

View PostMichael000, on 2015-January-04, 04:03, said:

I looked up Jacoby 2NT (which appears primarily of use to those playing 5cm) and that led me onto Splinters and that threw up more questions which ordinarily (on any ordinary Forum (a Forum being a place to discuss and exchange information)) I would have simply asked but having got to the stage where I am having to carefully think through everything I post for fear of irritating those here who believe they are breathing are more rarefied air than the rest of us mortals I'll ask elsewhere.

Thanks for the 'helpful' posts

Jacoby works well with 4-card majors. I would guess it's more that much/all of the literature relates to 5-card majors.

#26 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 06:58

View PostMichael000, on 2015-January-04, 03:08, said:

Thanks for the helpful explanation and an answer (Jacoby) to a question I had previously asked on how to show strength. I believed that one would need some way of indicating slam interest/showing strength and at my rudimentary level of the game that was a jump shift bid. I presume Jacoby is preferred because it takes up less bidding space . . . I'll look it up and do some reading.

No, the reason is not that it takes less space, but that it agrees trumps, and sets a game force. From here on anything you do is geared to finding the correct level (4, 5, 6, or 7), not the denomination. It makes the bidding more efficient.

It takes less bidding space, but that space should be put to good use. Most treatments of continuations have a minimumish opener rebidding 4M, and this destroys all space when responder has a good enough hand, as in your example here, but I prefer the weaker opener to rebid 3. Many responder hands will then signoff, but 3 can ask for a shortage. The vitally important thing is to discuss and agree it with your partner, but any version you play will be better than none.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users