Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Year's resolutions

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-01, 11:11

Does anyone make these anymore? At least, the "This year I am going to improve myself" sort?

#2 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-01, 11:49

No, it's just an ongoing, continuous process for me.

I must do my stretches, I must do my stretches, I must do my stretches, and not eat so much chocolate.

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-01, 11:49

View Postonoway, on 2015-January-01, 11:11, said:

Does anyone make these anymore? At least, the "This year I am going to improve myself" sort?

Why would I? I am perfect.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-01, 12:35

You say you want a resolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world.

I resolve to play for the drop whenever the suit splits 2-2.

OK, maybe I try to seriously answer. I don't make lists. But do I give some thought on New Year's Day to life? Yes, some. If I figure it out I'll let you know.
Ken

#5 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2015-January-01, 17:47

Count, count, count!
Plus start swimming again. Until almost a year ago I swam once a week. I feel the difference now and it's not good.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-January-01, 22:47

At this stage in my existence it feels like 90% of my mistakes are due to lack of focus and not technical or judgement errors. This is a function of stamina and keeping my blood sugar at the right level (I found out last month I'm hypoglycemic off the charts).

So: get in better shape and bring snacks to the game.

Oh, and I need to lose 15 ***** pounds too.

Let's revisit this in July.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-01, 23:40

View PostPhil, on 2015-January-01, 22:47, said:

At this stage in my existence it feels like 90% of my mistakes are due to lack of focus and not technical or judgement errors. This is a function of stamina and keeping my blood sugar at the right level (I found out last month I'm hypoglycemic off the charts).

So: get in better shape and bring snacks to the game.

Oh, and I need to lose 15 ***** pounds too.

Let's revisit this in July.

I wish you good luck losing weight, while keeping your blood sugar at the right level. It probably means less juicy steaks and more pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. Less burger and more bun... :(

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2015-January-02, 04:50

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-01, 23:40, said:

I wish you good luck losing weight, while keeping your blood sugar at the right level. It probably means less juicy steaks and more pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. Less burger and more bun... :(

Rik

And more swimming! :)
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 14:50

The river's frozen over. :o
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-02, 17:58

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-January-02, 14:50, said:

The river's frozen over. :o

skating is also good exercise.

#11 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:21

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-January-01, 23:40, said:

Rik

As one who is borderline diabetic, may I assure you that as far as your blood sugar is concerned, it is exactly the pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread that are the problem (I no longer get to eat those). Two minor sins that my meter claims I actually can handle are - burgers as long as there is lots of greasy beef (five guys works well, McDonalds is a disaster blood sugar wise), and thin crust pizza as long as it is somewhat greasy (fat is almost an anti-carb thing tho it certainly does have many other negative factors and certainly does not help with weight loss). (disclaimer - what the meter says after a meal may not always accurately reflect what will truly show up in an A1C test).
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-02, 19:37

View PostBillHiggin, on 2015-January-02, 19:21, said:

As one who is borderline diabetic, may I assure you that as far as your blood sugar is concerned, it is exactly the pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread that are the problem (I no longer get to eat those). Two minor sins that my meter claims I actually can handle are - burgers as long as there is lots of greasy beef (five guys works well, McDonalds is a disaster blood sugar wise), and thin crust pizza as long as it is somewhat greasy (fat is almost an anti-carb thing tho it certainly does have many other negative factors and certainly does not help with weight loss). (disclaimer - what the meter says after a meal may not always accurately reflect what will truly show up in an A1C test).

There's a difference between hyperglycemia (too much sugar in the blood), which leads to and is a symptom of type II diabetes, and hypoglycemia (not enough sugar in the blood), which, afaik, does not. Carbs tend to have a high glycemic load, so if you're hypoglycemic, cards are probably a good thing.

I'm diabetic myself. I don't eat at five guys *or* MacDonald's if I can help it. I prefer to make my own hamburgers - and I do like hamburgers. A certain amount of fat is good for you as well. I wouldn't go overboard.

Had lunch at a Pizza Hut a couple of decades ago. The pizza was so greasy that I literally could not eat it. I took a couple of bites. Had I continued, I would have thrown up on the table. It was a very long time before I went back to a Pizza Hut, and even now there are better pizza joints around here.

The problem with "conventional wisdom" on diet is that it touts the current theory du jour, and that changes fairly frequently. Eating right is... complicated.

Note: the above is personal opinion. I am neither a doctor nor a nutritionist.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-January-02, 23:31

A diabetic doesn't produce enough insulin. I produce too much.

What I've been told is to eat a lot of small meals (~5) during the day and to avoid sugar and starches. The whole idea is to avoid swings in my blood sugar - so protein bars are perfect.

The reason I even went to the doc in the first place was one morning I had a piece of toast for breakfast instead of my usual fare and came really close to passing out on the drive to work. :blink:
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-January-03, 13:32

View PostPhil, on 2015-January-02, 23:31, said:

A diabetic doesn't produce enough insulin. I produce too much.

What I've been told is to eat a lot of small meals (~5) during the day and to avoid sugar and starches. The whole idea is to avoid swings in my blood sugar - so protein bars are perfect.

The reason I even went to the doc in the first place was one morning I had a piece of toast for breakfast instead of my usual fare and came really close to passing out on the drive to work. :blink:

Low blood sugar will do that. B-)

Good luck!
--------------------

#15 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2015-January-03, 14:23

All of this health stuff brings up a change I am making, one that most everyone else would say is long overdue. Right now we have one cell phone, not two, it is currently inactive, and even when it is active we often don't carry it. I'm 76. This is stupid.

I have been very slow in coming to this, but Becky and I should both have a source of immediate contact with medical help and with each other. .Neither one of us plans on dying anytime soon but, like Phil, I had an episode a couple of years back and it was really good that it occurred when Becky was around.

Like many of my age, I grew up with considerable independence. I was often off "somewhere" with the understanding of when I would be home but that was about all that was stipulated. I have no intention of doing anything that would shock anyone but I still sometimes like feeling alone, out of touch with the world.

Reality bites.

So, in the spirit of the OP, a New Year's Resolution: Accept the fact that I am no longer a ten year old exploring the world on my bike.

Good luck to you Phil, thanks for mentioning this episode in your car, and good luck to all of us.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users