• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient with a twist

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-06, 10:56

The only part of my director "education" that suggested that one should always consult the book was the test for becoming an ACBL Tournament Assistant. When answering each question, you're supposed to include the number of the relevant law.

But I interpreted this as being like a math test that asks you to "show your work" -- it's not enough to get the right answer, you have to get it in the right way (no guessing allowed). They wanted to make sure that the testee is fully familiar with the lawbook.

But after a few years of directing regularly, the common rulings really should become rote, IMHO. No director worth his salt should need to consult the book for a revoke ruling. Of course you should be prepared to quote it if a player requests, but some things really are easy, and it's a waste of time to hint through the book for the right page to quote.

I make an exception to all this for a few months after the Laws are revised, as it's easy to forget about changes and slip into the old mode.

#42 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:43

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-06, 10:56, said:

The only part of my director "education" that suggested that one should always consult the book was the test for becoming an ACBL Tournament Assistant. When answering each question, you're supposed to include the number of the relevant law.

What did they expect of you in your practical training?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#43 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-07, 11:43

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-06, 13:43, said:

What did they expect of you in your practical training?

The only "practical training" is on-the-job, AFAIK. It seems like an apprenticeship program: a Tournament Assistant works as a TD at sectional tournaments alongside more senior TDs. From what I can tell, the main idea there is to learn all the details of running a large event that one might not be familiar with from just running club games. In terms of making rulings, about the only thing I can think of that's different at a tourney is that you can probably find enough people to conduct a reasonable poll to determine LAs, whereas this may be impractical in a small club.

ACBL recently created an "ACBL University", where they do more rigorous and structured training for national TDs.

#44 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 13:12

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-07, 11:43, said:

ACBL recently created an "ACBL University", where they do more rigorous and structured training for national TDs.

First I've heard of it.

It's about time. :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#45 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-07, 14:07

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-07, 11:43, said:

Could you provide a reference for your statement? I don't see anything about an "ACBL University" on the ACBL website or anywhere on the web.

#46 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-07, 14:53

View PostArtK78, on 2015-January-07, 14:07, said:

Could you provide a reference for your statement? I don't see anything about an "ACBL University" on the ACBL website or anywhere on the web.

It's referred to as TD University ("TDU") and the first run of it was this past September.

The intent is to provide training for new(ish) TDs to get them prepared to be a DIC of a sectional.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#47 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-07, 18:05

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-January-07, 14:53, said:

It's referred to as TD University ("TDU") and the first run of it was this past September.

The intent is to provide training for new(ish) TDs to get them prepared to be a DIC of a sectional.

We can hope the knowledge gleaned from these training sessions filters down to the club directors.

#48 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-08, 12:24

That is [my personal opinion of what I've read of] the intent. Guinea Pig on people with some experience live with people with lots of experience, retool, repeat, eventually it will get to the point when it's safe to not have "led by ANTDs" but by yer local part-timer; after a bit more of that, it can be self-paced learning safely, with a place to call for questions.

I hope so, anyway.

Won't stop the TDs for whom sales is more important than rules, but might get rid of the 30-year-old revoke rulings and 50-year-old call-from-dummy rulings.

Barry, I "always" have my book (in that sometimes it's in my bag, and I get *really embarrassed* when I remember), and to this day, I *always* read any Call Out Of Turn rulings (save "opening pass out of turn", but it wasn't too long ago I was about to make a bad continuation ruling from one of those) out of the book. Why? Because they're confusing and different cases are different, and even if I know I have it right, the players don't - and they do ask. Any Revoke Law C (no specific rectification if...) ruling I make I read from the book, too. And anything I don't feel better than 99.9% sure about I'll read as well. Just makes everyone's life better.

According to the Tournament Assistant Exam training, we should be reading *all* rulings from the book. Never happens, and I think I am on the right side of balance.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#49 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-08, 13:52

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-January-07, 14:53, said:

There was an article about it in a recent ACBL Bulletin. It wasn't clear (to me, at least) what level of of tournaments they were prepairing directors for.

#50 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 17:09

View Postjillybean, on 2015-January-07, 18:05, said:

We can hope the knowledge gleaned from these training sessions filters down to the club directors.

Yes, people play more sessions in clubs than in tournaments; the training should be available to club directors as well.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users