BBO Discussion Forums: Yet another UI - amusingly low standard club game - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another UI - amusingly low standard club game

#21 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-29, 23:15

You have signed up as a sub in an online individual tournament... You are inserted at a table mid-auction, and are faced with this situation:

What possible actions do you think are logical alternatives?

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 03:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-December-29, 23:15, said:

You have signed up as a sub in an online individual tournament... You are inserted at a table mid-auction, and are faced with this situation:

What possible actions do you think are logical alternatives?

I think 2NT or 3NT are possible. Or a double if that is for penalties. If I expect to be replaced by the original player after I make this call, I would bid 2NT since he obviously didn't think it was worth 3NT.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 03:41

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-29, 10:15, said:

Did anyone notice that partner opened the bidding, and that South holds 12 HCP and K98xx in the suit RHO bid twice?

Did South notice that when he judged on the previous round that it was just worth a 1NT bid?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 10:33

The question to club TD's implied here is, "How far are you willing to go in sullying the game of sanctioned Duplicate Bridge to coddle the clientele?"

This is beyond my threshold. I would word the ruling with my alleged best people skills while rolling back.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#25 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-30, 10:38

View Postgordontd, on 2014-December-30, 03:41, said:

Did South notice that when he judged on the previous round that it was just worth a 1NT bid?

So South made an error on the first round of the bidding. He is allowed to correct that error later as long as he is not influenced by UI. The hand was worth a game bid earlier and it is still worth a game bid, hesitation by partner or not.

IMHO, if this hand were presented to a reputable appeals committee, everyone would have a good laugh. No adjustment. Possible frivilous appeal warning.

#26 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-30, 10:57

View Postgordontd, on 2014-December-30, 03:39, said:

I think 2NT or 3NT are possible. Or a double if that is for penalties. If I expect to be replaced by the original player after I make this call, I would bid 2NT since he obviously didn't think it was worth 3NT.
Agreed. (Someone above said the final contract should be 2 undoubled, which most others seem to agree is not a logical alternative.) We might say that 3N is the action suggested by the hesitation and disallow it. If South is allowed to bid 2N, I think North should be allowed to bid 3N with his clearly-better-than-minimum hand. As a lifetime ACBLer, I'm not at all used to thinking in terms of a weighted score, but it might be right to weight contracts of 3N, 2N and 2x, one-third each.

#27 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 10:58

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-30, 10:38, said:

So South made an error on the first round of the bidding. He is allowed to correct that error later as long as he is not influenced by UI.

We are reading the situation differently is all and without being there it's natural.

You think South made a mistake that is now being corrected? I think they really are this bad to bid 1nt on these cards and probably learned the game in the kitchen. I also doubt it's the first time they (or anyone else in this game) has used UI and by rolling it back I'm making a point to the whole table.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#28 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-December-30, 11:05

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-30, 10:38, said:

So South made an error on the first round of the bidding. He is allowed to correct that error later as long as he is not influenced by UI. The hand was worth a game bid earlier and it is still worth a game bid, hesitation by partner or not.

Your opinion of what the hand was worth earlier is not relevant; South's opinion is relevant, and it was stated by the 1NT bid -- nowhere near inviting game. A self-serving statement that he was not influenced by the UI and now has a clear 3NT bid is just that.

#29 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-30, 12:35

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-December-30, 11:05, said:

Your opinion of what the hand was worth earlier is not relevant; South's opinion is relevant, and it was stated by the 1NT bid -- nowhere near inviting game. A self-serving statement that he was not influenced by the UI and now has a clear 3NT bid is just that.

The cards speak for themselves.

In my opinion, there is a significant tendency in these Fora to adjust scores and hand out procedural penalties which directors and committees would not do in real life situations. This is especially true at the club level. I would be loathe to adjust a score in a club game unless I had a very reasonable belief that the offiending side should have known better.

Here, it is clear that the South player does not know better. I would let the result stand and attempt to teach South why his opponents are upset with what happened at the table. I am not confident that South will understand what I am telling him given the degree of unsophistication demonstrated in the auction. But I would not roll back the score to 2NT or 2 undoubled.

#30 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 13:32

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-December-29, 16:16, said:

The simple solution, particularly at a club game, might well be to simply ask South why bid 3NT, and why he bid 1NT. You may get an honest answer that solves the problem.

This.
But assuming that we don't get a useful answer I agree with a weighted ruling.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#31 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-December-30, 19:36

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-30, 12:35, said:

The cards speak for themselves.

In my opinion, there is a significant tendency in these Fora to adjust scores and hand out procedural penalties which directors and committees would not do in real life situations. This is especially true at the club level. I would be loathe to adjust a score in a club game unless I had a very reasonable belief that the offiending side should have known better.

Here, it is clear that the South player does not know better. I would let the result stand and attempt to teach South why his opponents are upset with what happened at the table. I am not confident that South will understand what I am telling him given the degree of unsophistication demonstrated in the auction. But I would not roll back the score to 2NT or 2 undoubled.

I think this attitude is completely wrong. It is what contributes to a very poor standard of play according to the rules in the wider game.

Penalties are sanctioned in part so that players will learn to play by the rules. If you allow players to not play according to the rules then you simply encourage law breaking.

The wording in law 73 is strong - players "must" carefully avoid taking advantage of UI. The consequence of not is that procedural penalties should be imposed. The fact that they are not IMHO simply shows a complete lack of understanding of the rules by directors and administrators.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#32 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 23:55

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-30, 13:32, said:

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-December-29, 16:16, said:

The simple solution, particularly at a club game, might well be to simply ask South why bid 3NT, and why he bid 1NT. You may get an honest answer that solves the problem.

This.
But assuming that we don't get a useful answer I agree with a weighted ruling.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the answer was: "Before partner passed, I found that there still was a card stuck in the board. It turned out that I only had 12 cards. So when I added the K, I suddenly had 12 HCP instead of 9."

It may even be that there wasn't a BIT by North. That was just the time it took to figure out whom that card belonged to. ;)

When directing, at any level but much more so at a club game, never assume that the players will give you the relevant facts unprompted. The players know the facts, but they don't know which ones are relevant. You need to ask them everything.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-31, 10:07

Even competent players sometimes misbid.

Last night, my partner and I had the uncontested auction 1-1-4-AllPass. Responder passed holding a 4=1=4=4 12 count, and we missed a good slam. Why? She had a brain fart and thought she'd opened the bidding, not just responded.

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-December-31, 10:26

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-31, 10:07, said:

Even competent players sometimes misbid.

Last night, my partner and I had the uncontested auction 1-1-4-AllPass. Responder passed holding a 4=1=4=4 12 count, and we missed a good slam. Why? She had a brain fart and thought she'd opened the bidding, not just responded.

Your anecdote would be relevant to this case if the auction had gone:

P-1C
1S-4S
4N-etc and on to slam.

Your Partner did not recognize her error in time to compensate for it, so whether you hesitated before bidding 4S, and whether you as the real opener had extra values above your rebid, just doesn't matter.

#35 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-31, 14:57

My point is that you can't judge a players intent just by looking at their bids; there can be a number of reasons why they didn't consider their hand worth a game-force on the first round, like Trinidad's example of a missing card (although it would be better if the card were simply hidden behind another card in their hand -- if it's still in the board, it means they forgot to count their cards). It doesn't have to be that they changed their judgement, which could have been influenced by the hesitation.

#36 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-December-31, 15:06

And we don't buy the self-serving (even if possibly true) excuses when there is UI which might have been used.

#37 User is offline   vigfus 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Tournament director of BR. The largest bridgeclub in Iceland
    vip@centrum.is

Posted 2014-December-31, 16:05

View Postgordontd, on 2014-December-30, 03:39, said:

Hello Gordon
Let's play Bridge. Table score stands.
Maybe South miscouted his HCP at first. I give South all my benefits of doubt. I would always bid 3NT here. But I am not sure if I would have Passed the 1H bid. It depends of the parthership agreement or if I trust my partner to keep on bidding if I pass.
Vigfus Palsson
Hlidartun 6
270 Mosfellsbaer
Iceland
vip@centrum.is
www.bridge.is

#38 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-31, 19:39

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-December-30, 23:55, said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the answer was: "Before partner passed, I found that there still was a card stuck in the board. It turned out that I only had 12 cards. So when I added the K, I suddenly had 12 HCP instead of 9."
It may even be that there wasn't a BIT by North. That was just the time it took to figure out whom that card belonged to. ;)
When directing, at any level but much more so at a club game, never assume that the players will give you the relevant facts unprompted. The players know the facts, but they don't know which ones are relevant. You need to ask them everything.

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-31, 14:57, said:

My point is that you can't judge a players intent just by looking at their bids; there can be a number of reasons why they didn't consider their hand worth a game-force on the first round, like Trinidad's example of a missing card (although it would be better if the card were simply hidden behind another card in their hand -- if it's still in the board, it means they forgot to count their cards). It doesn't have to be that they changed their judgement, which could have been influenced by the hesitation.

View Postvigfus, on 2014-December-31, 16:05, said:

Hello Gordon Let's play Bridge. Table score stands. Maybe South miscouted his HCP at first. I give South all my benefits of doubt. I would always bid 3NT here. But I am not sure if I would have Passed the 1H bid. It depends of the partnership agreement or if I trust my partner to keep on bidding if I pass.
South didn't pass East's 1 overcall. He bid 1N.

The director should take into account all relevant evidence that he can garner. Manifestly, player's claims, however self-serving and unlikely, are still evidence. The problem is that most humans are expert rationalisers. Current law rewards a convincing untruth but punishes a truthful admission. Of course it's possible that South misread his hand when he earlier decided that 1N was the correct contract. If that is the case, North's tank might not now suggest double/2N/3N over pass. Unfortunately, under current law, the director is forced to judge how likely it is that South is telling the truth. Unless the director adopts a hard line (taking such claims with a pinch of salt) or he is an expert telepath, he will be taken in too often. Understandably, most directors are reluctant to bite this bullet. Hence, standards are in free-fall.

#39 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-December-31, 21:39

O.K. Let's take the contention that South had a King hidden. It is not an infraction for North to break tempo (in and of itself); so let's even say South discovered his extra King during the huddle --- all just dandy.

IMO, a good non-invite plus a King = an invite. So, regardless of the UI South when given a chance at redemption could bid 2NT inviting game. He still has UI that North will probably be accepting game; but, he is not using that information. He would be using it if (as he actually did) he took his invite and bid 3NT instead of inviting.

Now, here is the interesting part: Turn our focus to NORTH who has authorized information --- a good guess that South found an extra good card and has an invitational hand. North had better bid 3NT, and all is well. But, North has a chance to be unethical. He can think that the UI from his BIT is what caused South's incongruous 2NT bid, and PASS. If he did that, here, it would probably never come to the director's attention; but nevertheless North would have committed a serious ethical violation.

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-December-31, 23:57

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-31, 14:57, said:

My point is that you can't judge a players intent just by looking at their bids; there can be a number of reasons why they didn't consider their hand worth a game-force on the first round, like Trinidad's example of a missing card

LOL I suggested this in post#9 -- I guess I would be surprised if I knew how many people had me on their ignore list!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users