BBO Discussion Forums: Fantunes: 2-level transfers over 1C - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantunes: 2-level transfers over 1C

#1 User is offline   Tryggolaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-28, 16:51

The 1-opening of Fantunes promises 14+ HCP with 5+/14+ HCP with a 4441 and a red singleton/15+ HCP balanced. Over 1, they used to play transfers only on the 1-level with responder's rebids 2/// being a game forcing bid showing 10+ HCP and 5+///. Bill Jacobs's Fantunes Revealed (2012) contained this set-up. Approximately around the end of 2012, Fantunes revised their system and they started to play transfers over 1 on the 2-level as well with 2/// showing 10+ HCP and 5+///.

My question: do you know a good way (preferably Fantunes's way) to proceed over those transfers?

Fantunes's 2-level transfers over 1:

1 - pass - ...

2 = 10+ HCP with 5+
2 = 10+ HCP with 5+
2 = 10+ HCP with 5+
2 = 10+ HCP with 5+

I've already done a little bit of research and I found a comment by Fantoni about 2-level transfer responses after the 1-opening. (Source: http://fulviofantoni...l-cartmell.html) Accepting the transfer shows a balanced hand with 3+ suit support (e.g., 1 - pass - 2 - pass - ... 2 shows a balanced hand with 3+) and 2NT shows a balanced hand wanting to rightside the contract, almost always without support for the bid suit.

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-28, 19:19

Now I am not sure if this is the correct way to approach this, but on top of my head something like this seems better:

1C---
2C = 4+ hearts, not 4441/4333/4432, may have longer minor, 10+
2D = 4+ spades, not 4441/4333/4432, may have longer minor, 10+
2H = 5+ diamonds, no major, 10+
2S = 5+ clubs, no major, 10+

Using the two-under transfers, with 2C as an example:

1C--2C;
2D = Less than 3 hearts, usually bal. Responder can rebid hearts or bid a longer minor if canape
2H = 3+ hearts. Opener could bid a longer minor or bid 2S/2NT with 5+ hearts, 3 hearts is also available ofcourse
Other = Unbalanced hand, less than 3 hearts, 5+ clubs

Same principle over 1C--2D.

1C--2H;
2S = Unbalanced artificial, should probably promise some sort of diamond support
2NT = Balanced or semibal hand, bad diamond support
3C = Natural, bad diamond support
3D = Balanced with diamond support

1C--2S;
2NT = Balanced, bad club support
3C = Balanced, club support
Other = Unbalanced, and thus great support

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-December-29, 02:43

I used to play Fantunes f2f and we modified the 2-level responses considerably. We really hated 1-2M to be 5 card suits!

What we did was the following:
1-1red = transfer, either 0-9 4+M or GF with exactly 5M
1-1NT = GF, balanced or 5+
1-2 = GF, 2-suited with 5+ or any 3-suiter
1-2 = GF, single suited with 6+
1-2M = GF, 6+M
1-2NT+ shows 5-5 distributions with 10-14HCP (like original Fantunes)

We worked things out with a couple of design goals
- Since the 1-level transfers are forcing, we could always show the GF later on (using checkback or 4th suit). However, we couldn't include too many hands in here, so the GF hands promised exactly 5 cards. Balanced or 3-suited hands were included somewhere else with ease.
- After 1NT or 2 responses, we had relays available in both directions. Opener with a balanced hand would relay responders hand. But when he was unbalanced himself he could show it as well, after which responder could relay further. This allowed us to always let a balanced hand ask (which is a good thing in relays)
- Because 1-2M uses a lot of bidding space, we wanted it to show 6+M. In case opener is balanced, a fit is immediately found.

This also includes some transfers and it worked really well in our experience. How to proceed is quite complicated though. ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-29, 03:36

There are more Fantunes 1 continuations than there are Fantunes partnerships (we have 2). I wouldn't worry about replicating the original perfectly, since they have a *lot* of gadgets for dealing with nemerous ver specific hand types, and you won't be able to learn them all. Better to play something relatively simple, or invent your own continuations, depending which way your bread is buttered.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   snillrik13 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-31, 07:56

I Think Free is giving a good proposal. In my version of Fantunes www.fanfantunes.n.nu I use much the same but 2M is Reverse Flannery handling the tricky 5-4 in S/H very well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users